BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #1
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep
Drives: To Buy

US Order Timeline (4 weeks? 3 months?)

What's the current production time for US orders?
I thought target was 4 weeks but I'm hearing some people are waiting months??

Trying to figure out when I need to order to get a car in July
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
vrrooom
SES
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: 335ix'09,X3'11&911TCab

Garage List
2009 335ix  [0.00]
1987 Turbo Cab  [0.00]
2011 X3 3.5  [0.00]
Lightbulb Orderi Lead Times are dependent on Dealer Allocation

If you want a July Delivery, because you are on the other coast, you should work with your dealer for a May Production slot. This will give you all of June for the vehicle to get to the coast, and if you read some of the other posts from the coast, you will see it is taking up to 3 weeks in transit. The dealer will have May slots very soon if not now.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
At the risk of stating the obvious, I'd say just check with a couple of local dealers. Depending on demand the production slots you want may not be available.
      03-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #4
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrooom View Post
If you want a July Delivery, because you are on the other coast, you should work with your dealer for a May Production slot. This will give you all of June for the vehicle to get to the coast, and if you read some of the other posts from the coast, you will see it is taking up to 3 weeks in transit. The dealer will have May slots very soon if not now.
I understand that the 35i is selling really fast and thats why there is a wait, but what I don't get is people saying they are waiting 2-3 weeks AFTER its been produced to receive it. I thought BMW was saying that in the US you could custom order a car and get it in 2-3 weeks? what happened to that? Or does that mean if there plant is totally dead with no orders thats how quick it could be, hahaha

if you are getting the 28i it sounds like you won't wait as long (Are they different assembly lines?) or I wonder if my dealer just meant there is a large inventory of those at dealerships, but no 35i's...

I would just go to your dealer and tell them when you want delivery and let them figure out when to place your order.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
I understand that the 35i is selling really fast and thats why there is a wait, but what I don't get is people saying they are waiting 2-3 weeks AFTER its been produced to receive it. I thought BMW was saying that in the US you could custom order a car and get it in 2-3 weeks? what happened to that? Or does that mean if there plant is totally dead with no orders thats how quick it could be, hahaha

if you are getting the 28i it sounds like you won't wait as long (Are they different assembly lines?) or I wonder if my dealer just meant there is a large inventory of those at dealerships, but no 35i's...

I would just go to your dealer and tell them when you want delivery and let them figure out when to place your order.
I don't get this either. My car took two and a half weeks to get to my dealership. Very irritating.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #6
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

Hmm well I'm just thinking that there would be deeper discounts as initial demand slow down so holding off as long as possible?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
roders
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0D MSport F25

Hi Guys,
Dont think the demand will slow down till at least next year, most other countries are already waiting on production slots till end of the year.
Global demand for this car is huge, especially here in Australia where we havent had an X3 for the last 12 months, and no stock of the Q5. Audi clients have a 9 month wait for custom builds......
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:

Mine took nearly 2 weeks to get to Charleston which I couldn't understand. Extensive quality assurance tests?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #9
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

Thanks for all the tips. so I think it sounds like I need to order in the next month or so to get July delivery.
Does BMW typically go below invoice at any point or is Invoice + $500 the best year-around offer?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 11:59 AM   #10
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf View Post
Thanks for all the tips. so I think it sounds like I need to order in the next month or so to get July delivery.
Does BMW typically go below invoice at any point or is Invoice + $500 the best year-around offer?
$500 over invoice is about the best deal you can get right now.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 12:09 PM   #11
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

agreed, is it worth holding out for anything better or is Inv+$500 the BMW floor?

(I ask since the GLKs are $1800 below invoice right now)
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #12
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Ordered Dec. 31st 2010.
Built Feb. 18, 2011
Scheduled to arrive at dealer March 17th (Fremont, Calif.)
Actual delivery at dealer was March 9th
Took possession March 11th.

All this to say you have two things, delivery and scheduled build date to deal with. Might want to toddle down to the dealer by the end of April.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #13
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Based on discussions with my dealer lately, unless your dealer has a secure allocated production slot that he can slide you into, it is unlikely you are looking at delivery before late July or August. Best case..!!
      03-24-2011, 01:53 PM   #14
silverforumsurf
Private
Rep

Tuco I think allocation/timelines are different in Canada vs USA (and RoW).
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #15
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by roders View Post
Hi Guys,
Dont think the demand will slow down till at least next year, most other countries are already waiting on production slots till end of the year.
Global demand for this car is huge, especially here in Australia where we havent had an X3 for the last 12 months, and no stock of the Q5. Audi clients have a 9 month wait for custom builds......
This is true, even if demand in the US slows down, it probably won't across any body of water, so the demand at the US plant will stay high and the wait might be just as long. I am holding out for 2012 more so because my LR2 only has 36,000 miles on it and is still under warranty, once that is over, there is no way I will hang onto it (hate Land Rover's service department, all of them in IL). I don't expect to get anymore off than people are reporting right now and just hope the dealer my family has always used will give me something like invoice +$500 and a good trade value for my used SUV.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Either different assembly lines or parts. During the on order period for my 35i my salesman asked if I wanted a 28i instead because they'd be able to deliver it by mid March versus April, both car would have had exactly the same options added.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #17
DCat
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I just took delivery today of my X335i. Ordered on Feb 18th, got allocation around March 1st and was told then the build date was to be around April 4th..somehow it got pushed up to last week-actually started production on the 11th and was rolling off the line on the 17th...loaded on the 21st and delivered to Michigan dealer on 23rd! Not sure how it got pushed up, but may have had something to do with me ready to cancel when after almost 2 weeks I had no production date...guess compared to many others, I was complaining pretty early on though! The dealer experience has been great. I know I didn't get the greatest deal-$1,500 off list + the voucher for $500 in accessories, but it was a fair deal compared to other dealers in MI...I can't help but think that the fact that they had a decent margin left made them push it through w/ a bit more agressiveness...my CA did say that they called in a favor from their regional rep when I was close to walking...

The car is simply amazing!! I hadn't driven the turbo, only the 28i...holy shit, this baby is quick!

I'll try to post some photos at some point, but mine looks just like Kozzi's here-deep sea blue w/ the 309 wheels, sport handling pkg, black leather interior...
Appreciate 0