BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-13-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ?????

hi guys might be buying the 2012 or 2013 X3

hey all, i was thinking of buying an X3 after the rave reviews and updates on the newer version.

i have seen many of the reviews online. im now curious if there are any things that the reviews may not have mentioned. maybe some of your guys how have one can tell me your personal reviews.

pros?
cons?

any features not worth buying or maybe some features i should definitely get.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
FIRSTM
Buck Sgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

most features are standard, the options/package are pretty much is what you need you get. I order the 13' 28i with premium pkg for my wife because that is all she wanted, she didn't need all the other stuff. The main reason we waited for the 2013 X3 is the engine.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:12 AM   #3
bigblackwolf
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 xDrive28i

hello 949

I have a 28i basic version with just a few options, and I am happy with that.
Regarding the options (basic and option can however be different in US from where I live), I like:
- Panoramic roof: nice for a sunny country
- PDC Park Distance control: like in many modern cars, view to front and back is restricted, and PDC helps for parking.
- Leather seats

In my opinion, the interior and exterior colours of the X3 can be difficult to match in a harmonous way. Myself, I have mineral silver and nevada oyster.

Major is the engine selection, and the 28i have different engines in 2012 and 2013 model year. But I suppose you know that.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Price creep is the BMW way... each check box is only a few grand after all.

Most of the online reviews accurately describe the car's pro/con.

One con not picked up in reviews is the non-linear feel of the throttle pedal. I assume in an effort to increase fuel economy BMW designed the car to accelerate at about 7/8 of what your foot calls for.

Many people have noted this irritant and a few have suggested it can be dangerous when driving in congested traffic trying to change lanes or whatever and the car doesn't accelerate when called upon to do so. Other members say driving in sport mode minimizes the effect and/or using the 'hold' feature.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Price creep is the BMW way... each check box is only a few grand after all.

Most of the online reviews accurately describe the car's pro/con.

One con not picked up in reviews is the non-linear feel of the throttle pedal. I assume in an effort to increase fuel economy BMW designed the car to accelerate at about 7/8 of what your foot calls for.

Many people have noted this irritant and a few have suggested it can be dangerous when driving in congested traffic trying to change lanes or whatever and the car doesn't accelerate when called upon to do so. Other members say driving in sport mode minimizes the effect and/or using the 'hold' feature.
I have seen a lot of post about this but I have never noticed the problem in my X3.
      03-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

colson79, maybe your previous car had drive by wire. All of my previous 20+ cars were drive by cable and I can notice a distinct disconnect with the drive by wire in the bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #7
E92LNGCGY
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F97/Q5/982 GT4

I agreed about the throttle delay, even in sport of sport + you can still feel it. The options that I think is necessary is the camera system and PDC because it's hard to see out the back with such a high riding vehicle and so you don't run into anything. The new N20 for 2013 sounds like a great engine (at least in the F30 328).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #8
mvitch
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Alpine White

I'm probably much older than most of you "kids" at 61, and have owned some wonderful cars brand new, ie. late 80's Acura Legend cps, Infinity Q45 (still one of my favs) Audi TT quattro ALMS cpe, recentl Hyundai Genesis, and now the X3 35i. I'm sure it is not perfect, but it may just be my favorite all time and I only have 400 miles on it. I thought the sport pkg might have seats a bit too snug and firm, but the side bolsters are adjustible and they are great. Looking forward to driving this rig for a long time!
Appreciate 0