BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-10-2023, 08:43 AM   #23
atl5
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbofraggins View Post
Did you do the timing chain work yourself?… what did you pay..
I am no mechanic, I paid for it. It was $4,000 in total Canadian, but would have been less if they did not also replace the Valve Cover ($750). $1,450 for labour itself and the rest were parts needed to be replace alongside the timing chain.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      12-10-2023, 01:16 PM   #24
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5m View Post
Are water pump and thermostat failures less common with LCI models? Thought I'd see it mentioned but no one yet. Maybe already replaced?

Was about to buy a '17 35i today but flaked because of reliability concerns. Want one of these so bad
No I think just as common, I got 188k kms out of the water pump in my 2014. It is a pain to replace.
The are quite a few things that will leak like value cover,oil filter housing, oil pan.
My oil pan has not been done yet but is inevitable.
Will be doing the accessory belt and tensioner next week.
Check what has been done already before you buy and use to negotiate.

I have had pretty good luck just the water pump and oil leaks, one PDC wire, all brakes and battery so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2023, 06:39 PM   #25
Isawelvis
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3, 2015 ML350,

40000 miles new tires
      12-13-2023, 09:19 PM   #26
OilDripper
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 X3 3.5

I agree with MWAT. When my car was newer I was completely daunted by it and thought there was no way I could DIY a modern BMW. At one point a mechanic told me it was no longer worth fixing as the front suspension was completely shot and it had a big oil leak. I love the car and it prob had 170k miles on it at that point. Dug into these forums and YouTube (FCP Euro's videos are super helpful):

Did:
-Entire front suspension and front hubs
-Brakes
-Replaced the oil level sender - that was what was leaking
-Valve cover
-Oil filter housing gasket
-Rear hubs
-New tires (after I redid the front suspension)
-Heater blower motor
-Reglued peeling glove box cover

At 188.5k miles it is like playing whack-a-mole but the car is super awesome and I really enjoy the challenge of troubleshooting and fixing stuff.

Strongly recommend a low-cost scan tool. I ended up eventually buying an expensive one, but I leave a Carly scanner in the car.

Hopefully I get a reply to the post I put up earlier today about a new sound coming out of it?
Appreciate 2
mwat125.00
Don T3.00
      12-13-2023, 10:25 PM   #27
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

55k miles only, X3 N55

Because it broke:
* Valvetronic motor and eccentric shaft
* Water pump (with thermostat)

Because of miles
* Brakes
* All the normal crap like air filters, oil changes, and so on
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:25 PM   #28
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl5 View Post
I am no mechanic, I paid for it. It was $4,000 in total Canadian, but would have been less if they did not also replace the Valve Cover ($750). $1,450 for labour itself and the rest were parts needed to be replace alongside the timing chain.
Roger that...a fair price if they replaced everything they should have...some shops in Toronto are charging 2400 + tax....

For general info (Canada) - OEM parts run about 1300 to 1400 bucks taxes-in + engine oil/filter/coolant...aftermarket valve covers can be had as low as 150..although ours was fine.

2 days in an Indie shop max...who know what they are doing labour wise

I upgraded the oil pan to an all metal one - when we did my lads for PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 02:32 PM   #29
bpwj76
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 530i; 2016 X3 Sdrive28i

Have 117k miles now.

Work done by dealer under CPO warranty:
New turbo at about 60k miles
New hatch motors also around 60k miles (starting to make same noise as before now).

Work done by me after warranty:
New thermostat
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 04:12 AM   #30
io_madness
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW xDrive35i

Garage List
159k miles here, just bought it early last year at 145k mi from a local dealership.

The prior owner was a doctor who took it in for regular visits to the BMW dealership for service, and before that someone else owned it out in Las Vegas who also had work done at the dealer, but all I know for sure (beyond regular maintenance, oil changes, tires, etc) is:

serpentine tensionor
brakes a couple times (front and rear)

As for work I've done on it since owning it:
Spark plugs/coils (DIY) $174 parts + $30 for a special spark plug socket
Air filter (DIY) - $20
Front brake sensor (DIY, it somehow managed to rub against something, probably the wheel, and got cut in half) - $30 (DIY)
Installed missing lock button tabs for the fascia on the inside cargo door (was barely hanging on when I got it) ~$3 (DIY)
Replaced battery ~$200 (DIY)
3 oil changes (1 DIY, the other 2 shop)

One problem I did experience but haven't yet replaced anything for yet is I took my x3 w/ a friend for a 3 hour drive to a concert this summer. Once we got down there to where we were staying, my x3 suddenly died and was showing a drivetrain failure and fuel pump issue (just 500 ft away from our airbnb!). I wasn't able to start it back up immediately, but after 10 minutes of letting it sit was able to start it and move it over to where we were, where I just let it sit while we got settled. We left a couple days later, and I've had it fail that way again. I read it possibly could be the fuel sensor (?) getting too hot, which is underneath the rear passenger seat? I haven't had the issue again, so I'm waiting to see if it continues before throwing parts at it.

As for other maintenance, I'm planning on taking care of the oil pan gasket myself this spring, as it is leaking quite a bit underneath. I changed the oil about a month ago and already it's down half a quart. And while I'm doing that, I'm considering replacing the bushing housings and engine mounts.

Also the oil filter housing gasket, and possibly valve cover gasket, although the valve cover appears to be holding together pretty well. There's a very slight leak from the oil filter housing gasket, and it looks easy enough so I'm gonna knock that out.

Other items on the list for further down the road:
Replace water pump to upgraded aluminum and replace thermostat (unsure if it's ever been replaced, but at almost 160k it's gotta be hanging on by a thread)
Upgrade charge pipe to improved after market
Replace VANOS solenoids
Replace front/rear diff fluid
Replace transmission oil pan, filter, and fluid

Finally, I'm looking to change up from the run flats I have installed to normal tires which I hear will improve ride, handling, and noise quite a bit. I have tow insurance anyhow so if I get a flat I'll just cash in on that. The run flats I have really aren't great overall, tend to slide easily, even going normal speeds, and they're only two years old w/ about 15k on them.

Love the vehicle, and feel like I really lucked out finding it. Loads of fun to drive w/ lots of nice perks, especially for a 2011.

Last edited by io_madness; 12-16-2023 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2023, 01:12 PM   #31
Blaster400
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i, Porsche Macan S

Garage List
Your stalling problem sounds like failing EKPS sensor. I had this same problem stalling intermittently which was beyond frustrating. Changing EKPS sensor solved the issue for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2023, 12:18 AM   #32
io_madness
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW xDrive35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster400 View Post
Your stalling problem sounds like failing EKPS sensor. I had this same problem stalling intermittently which was beyond frustrating. Changing EKPS sensor solved the issue for me.
THAT's the one I read about. It's only the happened the one time so far, but as I wasn't able to use the car, definitely something I was keeping an eye on. I figured it was a sensor because it was saying a fuel pump issue but I had fuel, and I've put almost 15k on it, even did a 3000 mile road trip (there and back) and this was the only time I've ever had it do that. If there was an actual component failing in the fuel system chain, I imagine I'd be noticing effects in regular use.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2023, 08:31 PM   #33
UrsulasRevenge
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i

2016 x3 35i - 82k

Bought May 2023 with no known previous service records

2 oil changes + tire rotations
Coolant flush
Spark plugs

Next I’m planning fuel injection service and brake flush service
Appreciate 0