BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-22-2020, 05:13 AM   #1
cwpearre
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X3 35i

RunFlat Tires - 2016 X3 xdrive

I have been considering changing to non-run flat tires when my current tires wear out, but the following incident has dramatically changed my opinion! Last week, I hit a random 10-12 inch round piece of concrete on the interstate at approximately 65 mph. The tire pressure monitor light immediately came on indicating almost no pressure in the drivers side front tire. The car tracked amazing well over the concrete, and I never felt in danger, safely pulling off on the side of the road.

I was surprised to see that the tire was intact, but the wheel had cracked from the valve stem to about a 1/4 of the way around the rim. The back wheel rim was bent also as I had tracked over the concrete piece. The old tire appeared to hold air after placing it on a new rim, but I decided to replace the tire due to any potential internal damage (just for my peace of mind).

I feel if there had been traditional NRF tires on my car, the outcome of the incident would have been far worse - possible blow-out, wreck, injuries, etc. I feel extremely fortunate to only have to replace wheels/rims/tires and not body repair. This vehicle tracked and handled excellent, and I will definitely purchase RF tires when the time comes to buy new tires. I am a believer now!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2020, 06:46 PM   #2
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I'm back to RFT on my 2015 after about 50000 miles on NRF.

I never really noticed a change going to NRF, though now that I'm back I notice a little more harshness on bad roads. But livable.

Even though I took a portable air compressor and a can along, I'm thinking I feel a little safer with RFT. Was never willing to take up the space of a spare in the back.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:39 AM   #3
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Mixed feelings after 2 previous BMWs with not so good experiences with two brands of run flats. Self supporting tires are OK for a very short distance but well below their stated range. Best option is to use your run flats to get you to a safe location and call roadside assistance and not try to get very far because they get too hot, come apart even at speeds below rated, been there done that. Would be nice to have a spare but no place to store a spare and jack out of the way. What I do now is carry a slime repair kit (truck version, better compressor, bigger bottle of slime) with compressor that fits under the deck in the rear., haven't had to use it yet. Won't work for a complete blowout or large cut but for a nail it will keep you going for a bit, just might tick off whoever replaces the tire. I used to run slime in my dirt bike tires and would drive over cactus and never loose tire pressure.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 10:47 AM   #4
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
I've always thought it a bit ironic that people with run-flats were often delayed by days because of a puncture in an OE run flat tire. Of course, one has the security of being spared from a blowout at high speed, but it's rare to find tire shops stocking exact OE run-flat replacements. Typically, non run flats are in greater supply even in rural areas.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
RedRaiderDavid
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 35i X Drive M Sport

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEF View Post
I've always thought it a bit ironic that people with run-flats were often delayed by days because of a puncture in an OE run flat tire. Of course, one has the security of being spared from a blowout at high speed, but it's rare to find tire shops stocking exact OE run-flat replacements. Typically, non run flats are in greater supply even in rural areas.
BMW dealers usually have them but you will pay a premium compared to other retailers. I had this situation once where I was out of town running the original tires and they charged about $100 more than what I could have gotten it elsewhere if I had time for it to be ordered.
When I replace the originals I get them at Discount with their warranty and while they usually don't have them in stock they put a loaner tire on until they can get one in, it's part of the warranty agreement.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 07:35 AM   #6
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Here in western PA, one can easily be a 100 miles from a BMW dealer and there are no Discount Tire outlets. Moreover, existing tire shops in small communities generally stock tires that sell, so no problem for owners of Chevy sedans or pickups. Consequently, any repair option is going to cost time and money. Much more than it would be for any non run flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 04:17 PM   #7
chrispitude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E91 325xiT 6MT, F31 328xdT

Try the Bridgestone DriveGuard. The ride quality is *amazing* - not just for a RFT, but in its own right. And the tire is quiet and the mileage is great.

Bridgestone engineered the DriveGuard as a RFT to ride so well that it could be used on non-RFT cars. My 3-series rides smoother on 17" RFT DriveGuards than on 16" RFT snow tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
Marty in NY
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 18 GTi, Snowblower

I took the staggered P Zero's off my X3, put a set of non run flat Continentals on and drove coast to coast, all said about 12K miles. What are the chances that anyone, any tire business or roadside service is going to have P Zero's on hand if I needed one? I put a scissors jack, lug wrench, air pump, tire plug kit and various tire fixing tools under the cargo cover and off I went. Never had an issue, knock on wood.

When the Continentals eventually wore out, I put the P Zero run flats back on, ugh, harsh noisy ride. Now I'm looking for a new car and when I saw that the new X3 could be purchased with a spare tire option, I was pleased, well, up to the point where I saw how BMW did it. They raise the rear cargo floor 3" thereby robbing you of cargo space. Can't have that.

The new X5 doesn't do it in the same manner, but the height from the cargo floor to the underside of the cargo cover is about the same as the X3 with a spare option, it just looks better aesthetically. The X5's cargo area is wider and deeper than the X3 so it does have more cargo space. So the best option I think is using run flats with a spare tire in the car.
Appreciate 0