BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #23
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
there is a reason the series are 1, 3, 5, 6, 7 and quality increases as you progress up the BMW foodchain. The X3 is a 3 series level quality with some height and perfect for those who dislike the 3 wagon and it will never have the finish of a 5 series, thats reserved for the X5, but new X3 much improved over last gen...by very far.
Agreed. Would be the same if you compared a MB CLK to an E Class.... not the same style, type, or class vehicle. If all BMWs had the fit and finish of the 7 Series (or even 5) no one (that would want one) could afford the 1 Series.

I have an X5, totally loaded with comfort seats, et al - and also have a 3 Series... I recently test drove the X3 and found it's materials and workmanship to be on par with the 3. In some ways better, in some ways not as good... but again - different style vehicle. Thinking of trading the E90 on an X3, and would not feel too slighted moving between the X5 and the X3. I think they did a nice job while keeping it in its price bracket.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #24
sand99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5/F80 M3

We drove both the 528i and X3 35i -- both equipped with sport package/seats. The 5'er definitely had the higher quality interior, with better materials and features like the motorized wheel (X3 is manual adjustment only), but the X3 was by no means terrible! We actually found that the X3 offered a little more legroom and the 5'er can't be outfitted with a panoramic roof.

As others have mentioned, the X3 has a huge price advantage as well.

We also drove the Lexus RX350. Nice vehicle if you want a soft, cushy ride. It definitely offers more space than the X3, you can recline the back seat, and it's a little cheaper too. But the brakes were too spongy and the drive too boring! There's a reason why it's the #1 choice among soccer moms.

Didn't care for the tech Lexus offers either.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
acer2974
United_States
Rep
Drives: X35i Min Silver/Black Int

We just came back from SC picking up our X3 35i. Had a detailed factory tour and both the X3 and X5 are made exactly the same. In fact, they are both painted in the exact same paint booth. I think any perceived differences in quality is in your imagination. With respect to the X5, it's a dog, performance wise, compared to the x3 35i. It's over 500 pounds heavier, etc.. The instructors told us that the X3 35i is one of the fastest non-M BMW's. In addition, the X5 has the older electronics. Basically, the X3 has the 2012 electronics (nav, multimedia, etc.) I can see little or no reason to buy an X5 (unless you need a small 3rd row).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #26
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Seems Ward's Automotive has voted the X3 (among 9 others), as best interior!

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/wards...riors/#4044649

Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:13 AM   #27
Kota
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe, X3 3.5i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by acer2974 View Post
We just came back from SC picking up our X3 35i. Had a detailed factory tour and both the X3 and X5 are made exactly the same. In fact, they are both painted in the exact same paint booth. I think any perceived differences in quality is in your imagination. With respect to the X5, it's a dog, performance wise, compared to the x3 35i. It's over 500 pounds heavier, etc.. The instructors told us that the X3 35i is one of the fastest non-M BMW's. In addition, the X5 has the older electronics. Basically, the X3 has the 2012 electronics (nav, multimedia, etc.) I can see little or no reason to buy an X5 (unless you need a small 3rd row).
+1

Cars shares most of the components, just little details are added so that the perceived quality is higher, but materials are mostly the same. If they built each model with different materials and and care, it would cost lot more to them. They actually try to share as much as components as possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #28
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

I was quite impressed at the build quality. Yeah the door bottoms are hard plastic, but they are going to get a right kicking considering its an 4x4 SAV so I can understand the reasoning. The rest of the car is easily up there with the 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #29
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 BMW 535i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
I was quite impressed at the build quality. Yeah the door bottoms are hard plastic, but they are going to get a right kicking considering its an 4x4 SAV so I can understand the reasoning. The rest of the car is easily up there with the 3 series.
The door bottoms being hard plastic is a step back from the previous generation X3 which had much nicer door materials that were soft covered and didn't feel cheap.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #30
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL View Post
The door bottoms being hard plastic is a step back from the previous generation X3 which had much nicer door materials that were soft covered and didn't feel cheap.
but the rest of the materials way better than previous gen
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #31
Steven40
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0d F25

Quote:
But not the driving comfort without VDC and with runflat
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #32
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I could not agree more with the OP. After buying my 35i, I have since learned that it is not anywhere near as fast as a Bugatti Veyron. Really BMW??? I thought this was supposed to be the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE! Also, this car doesn't handle nearly as well as a Caterham R500. And I was really wanting this to be my new track day car. I compared the interior quality to a Bentley Mulsanne, and found that the X3 looked just plain cheap. I mean, seriously, no hand-carved door pulls? BMW has really gone down hill.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #33
Kota
Enlisted Member
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 coupe, X3 3.5i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
I could not agree more with the OP. After buying my 35i, I have since learned that it is not anywhere near as fast as a Bugatti Veyron. Really BMW??? I thought this was supposed to be the ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE! Also, this car doesn't handle nearly as well as a Caterham R500. And I was really wanting this to be my new track day car. I compared the interior quality to a Bentley Mulsanne, and found that the X3 looked just plain cheap. I mean, seriously, no hand-carved door pulls? BMW has really gone down hill.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #34
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
And let’s talk about towing capacity.
If I took my X3 to a tractor pull, I’d get smoked!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:00 PM   #35
Spitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Top 10 Car Interiors Announced, According to Wards Automotive:

Audi A8
BMW X3 xDrive35i <--
Chevy Cruze 2LT RS
Dodge Charger Rallye Plus
Ford Focus Titanium
Honda Odyssey Elite
Hyundai Elantra Limited
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Summit
Kia Optima EX
Volvo S60

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...utomotive.html
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #36
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by acer2974 View Post
Now now... let's not go bashing big sister X5. Each for its purpose and each to its buyer... I'm thinking about having both...

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #37
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry but for BMW to resort to using such cheap plastic on the door panels is not acceptable. For the cost of these cars with a few options, it creeps close to 45-50K. I'd much rather BMW raise the price by $500 extra and include much nicer soft touch materials. If you're spending 40K on a car you don't want inferior materials. These small touches is what seperates lower end cars from premium cars which is what BMW is knowing for building.
2013 F10 BMW 535i Alpine White / Oyster Dakota Leather / Anthracite Wood Trim / Steptronic transmission / M Sport Package / Premium Package / Technology Package / Rear-view camera / Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:17 PM   #38
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Would anyone not buy the X3 because of the material used in the lower half of the doors? Would I even have noticed them if this forum hadn't pointed them out? Answer to both questions: no. So who cares? The Audi Q5 may look nicer to some but once you get behind the wheel, you know the X3 is vastly superior. No-one would go for the Q5 because they preferred the material used in the doors. It's irrelevant to most people

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:27 PM   #39
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Would anyone not buy the X3 because of the material used in the lower half of the doors? Would I even have noticed them if this forum hadn't pointed them out? Answer to both questions: no. So who cares? The Audi Q5 may look nicer to some but once you get behind the wheel, you know the X3 is vastly superior. No-one would go for the Q5 because they preferred the material used in the doors. It's irrelevant to most people
LOL see this is how it all begins. BMW puts out products over time making them cheaper and cheaper. People like you just agree to it and BMW wins. I am talking about the small details that BMW USED to put extra effort into and now they can get away with putting cheaper quality in the cars because people just buy because of the badge. Mind you sure the X3 drive's OK but it has also taken a step back in dynamics for what a BMW was used to be know. Steering Feel, worst ride cause of Run Flats. People wake up and notice that these cars are not what they used to be.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #40
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
LOL see this is how it all begins. BMW puts out products over time making them cheaper and cheaper. People like you just agree to it and BMW wins. I am talking about the small details that BMW USED to put extra effort into and now they can get away with putting cheaper quality in the cars because people just buy because of the badge. Mind you sure the X3 drive's OK but it has also taken a step back in dynamics for what a BMW was used to be know. Steering Feel, worst ride cause of Run Flats. People wake up and notice that these cars are not what they used to be.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #41
coiken
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Seems I hurt some fanboys feelings!
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:30 PM   #42
BimmerGuyFL
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:47 PM   #43
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiken View Post
Quote:
Oh the old fanboy card. Touché.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 04:59 PM   #44
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
You misunderstand. Maybe the materials are cheaper than they used to be (although in the case of the old X3 I really don't think this is true at all). Computers costs much less than they used to and use cheaper materials but people buy more than they ever used to because they're still much better than they used to be. Maybe the steering feel is not what it used to be. I've never owned one of these amazing BMWs from the past but all of this is completely irrelevant. The car is much better than its competitors and much better than the old X3 it replaces despite this nit picking.

You're welcome to your views but they are exaggerated and you are in the minority. Hence why if you order an X3 now in the UK you have a TEN MONTH wait for one. No-one wants the Volvo with the nicer doors or the Ford Kuga with the better steering.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0