BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Cropwell
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d msport xdrive

Cigarette lighter socket- blown fuse

Not sure if this a common problem but the cigarette lighter socket stopped working a couple of weeks ago- just as I wanted to plug in the Garmin sat nav!
I took it back to the dealer and they told me that it was due to a blown fuse.
They sorted it out under the warranty. When I spoke to one of the mechanics(sorry 'Technicians' in BMW speak) he told me that it was probably due to using non OEM leads in the socket- although I have only ever used Garmin and Blackberry OEM leads.
As a precaution I asked to see where the fuse was located(it is in the glove box, there is also a fuse box in the boot). The fuse layout diagram is strangely located in the fuse box in the boot. I was also shown that the diagram for the glove box fuses, it is shown upside down so the piece of paper has to be inverted !!
There are no spare fuses in either fuse box- now heading off to dealer to buy a spare.
Yes there is a separate socket in the boot(and this works off a separate circuit-I checked) but the satnav leads do not stretch that far.
Has anybody else had similar problems with the fuse blowing ?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #2
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Never had a problem I use samsung leads with a non-oem connector and also run a fridge off the one in the boot, maybe you were just unlucky.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
fjrmann
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 X35i

i picked up a used 2011 in March, the front acc. port fuse was blown also. it was replaced under warranty.. the tech listed the problm as "excessive current caused fuse failure"....duh!
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
drunkntigr
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 m-sport 2011 carbon bla

Um yeah it seems to be a major broken though. We had the front cigarette lighter fuse blow on us, the one just below the cup holders. However ours happened when some keys dropped inside the cigarette lighter and saw some sparks. After that nothing worked.

Dealer fixed it, said it was probably from us using an iphone charger they saw in the middle compartment. HOWEVER, they said it like as if they told a lot of people already, so a common problem. They said to use the acc charger in the middle arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
Greenman7612
Rep
Drives: 2000 BMW 740iL

Garage List
2017 BMW X3 si  [0.00]
2013 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I dropped a grape into the power socket. In getting it out, the juice shorted the fuse. Thanks to this forum I found fuse 54 blown. It is located well behind the glove box. there is an access door to the far right. You will need a long, long set of needle nose pliers and look on the web for key to what fuse positions are by number. Not easy but not real hard to change. One would think that there would be a more convenient place to put it!
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

I once dropped a dime into mine, blowing the fuse. The dealer replaced it under warranty...
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 08:36 AM   #7
asinrute
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

Mine was blown too, very fiddly to replace the fuse but the info below helped, it is normally fuse No 74 that is blown

The X3 has (2) fuse blocks:

Fuse Block #1 is behind the glove box and is accessed through the removable panel at the far right at the back of the open glove box. The fuses are (5) or (6) inches behind the back of the glove box and will probably take someone with a very thin wrist or better yet, a surgical forceps or very long nose pliers to change. This fuse block houses fuses Nos. 1 through No. 67.

Fuse Block No. 2 is housed in the right rear bumper. To access it you must remove the small right rear storage cover (pull firmly on the black hand hold). Then you must remove the plastic "push rivet" at the rear of the insulation cover. Pry the center pin out with a screwdriver or small knife, and then completely remove the plastic "rivet". Then simply roll the insulation cover forward and you will find the fuse block.
Fuse block No. 2 houses fuses Nos. 100 to No. 204.

The sheet listing the fuse locations for BOTH fuse blocks is folded and stored in a slot at the bottom of the fuse block (No. 2).

Info courtesy of Lotus7

Attached Images

Last edited by asinrute; 10-12-2014 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: extra info
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2014, 06:13 PM   #8
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I was commenting yesterday about the poor placement of one of the outlets. Right there by the cup holders. If used, seems destined for a small spill to short it out. Or, as mentioned, coins. I just keep the cap on it, and use the others.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Rob Bimmer
Registered
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asinrute View Post
Mine was blown too, very fiddly to replace the fuse but the info below helped, it is normally fuse No 74 that is blown

The X3 has (2) fuse blocks:

Fuse Block #1 is behind the glove box and is accessed through the removable panel at the far right at the back of the open glove box. The fuses are (5) or (6) inches behind the back of the glove box and will probably take someone with a very thin wrist or better yet, a surgical forceps or very long nose pliers to change. This fuse block houses fuses Nos. 1 through No. 67.

Fuse Block No. 2 is housed in the right rear bumper. To access it you must remove the small right rear storage cover (pull firmly on the black hand hold). Then you must remove the plastic "push rivet" at the rear of the insulation cover. Pry the center pin out with a screwdriver or small knife, and then completely remove the plastic "rivet". Then simply roll the insulation cover forward and you will find the fuse block.
Fuse block No. 2 houses fuses Nos. 100 to No. 204.

The sheet listing the fuse locations for BOTH fuse blocks is folded and stored in a slot at the bottom of the fuse block (No. 2).

Info courtesy of Lotus7
I had the same issue with the front accessories 12VDC port. The fuse #54 (Yellow 20A) was blown.
It's located in the Fuse Block #1, behind the glove box and accessible through the very small removable panel.
Appreciate 1
      10-07-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
Kimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E31 E90 F25 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
I was commenting yesterday about the poor placement of one of the outlets. Right there by the cup holders. If used, seems destined for a small spill to short it out. Or, as mentioned, coins. I just keep the cap on it, and use the others.
Instead of simply capping it, may I suggest the following? (assuming the flashlight does not contain VW cheatware to brick the X3's ECU)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

VW Part # 7L6-947-175-A-01C

Works great in receptacles that it can actually fit in, but will NOT fit in many cars with ashtray covers that close.
      07-08-2018, 11:40 AM   #11
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

Yes, this continues to be a problem and I will work on this today. I’m looking for a YouTube video.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
oaklandish
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

And found the video on replacing the cigarette lighter fuse

This took 5 minutes. Going under the glovebox is way easier and it’s just 3 Torx 20 screws. Watch the video. I did t even go thru the glove box. The 20 milli amp fuse was $1.49 here in the Bay Area. So easy guys!

Last edited by oaklandish; 07-08-2018 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #13
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

thanks, I have the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:23 PM   #14
evilchargerfan
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 (N55), 2014 I01 (REX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bimmer View Post
I had the same issue with the front accessories 12VDC port. The fuse #54 (Yellow 20A) was blown.
It's located in the Fuse Block #1, behind the glove box and accessible through the very small removable panel.
boom... 1st fused I pulled. blown. nice call!
Appreciate 0