BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-04-2011, 12:08 AM   #1
4sure
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i M-Sport Package

Door Lock/Open Chime

Does the X3 make a beep/chime when unlocking/locking door with the key fob??

I have been watching a bunch of videos online if the X3 and noticed there is no beep/chime when unlocking/locking the door..

i find that its helpful to have this beep so that it lets us know if the door has been locked/unlocked or not...

can someone please confirm this.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 02:43 AM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

You have the option of having a short beep.
The iDrive system includes (5) different separately programmable options for the door locks including
"Acoustic signal lock/unlock"
"Flash lights when lock/unlock"
"Lock if no door is opened"
"Lock after start to drive"
"Last seat position auto"

The remote lock options are just a few of the ways you can customize the functions.
The options are remote key specific. For instance, my wife likes the doors to lock once the car has been put into motion, and I prefer that they stay unlocked. I don't like the lights flashing when I hit the remote unlock button and she does, but we both like the "beep". The remote key takes care of all of that transparently.

Once the options are programmed their selection depends on who's key is used to unlock the car. You can even override that by using the iDrive interface and selecting a different user once the car has been started. It's very similar to setting individual user preferences on a computer.

I hear that next year the user preferences will include changing the car's color, switching to high performance summer tires, and rearranging the body work to activate or mask the M-Sport option.
This is a very smart car.

Last edited by Lotus7; 04-04-2011 at 02:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
You have the option of having a short beep.
The iDrive system includes (5) different separately programmable options for the door locks including
"Acoustic signal lock/unlock"
"Flash lights when lock/unlock"
"Lock if no door is opened"
"Lock after start to drive"
"Last seat position auto"

The remote lock options are just a few of the ways you can customize the functions.
The options are remote key specific. For instance, my wife likes the doors to lock once the car has been put into motion, and I prefer that they stay unlocked. I don't like the lights flashing when I hit the remote unlock button and she does, but we both like the "beep". The remote key takes care of all of that transparently.

Once the options are programmed their selection depends on who's key is used to unlock the car. You can even override that by using the iDrive interface and selecting a different user once the car has been started. It's very similar to setting individual user preferences on a computer.

I hear that next year the user preferences will include changing the car's color, switching to high performance summer tires, and rearranging the body work to activate or mask the M-Sport option.
This is a very smart car.
Thanks! I didn't know the unlock chime was user customisable.

You should start a Tip of the Day thread Lotus

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Same story using iDrive on my 330i, but limited to visual (light flash) only if I recall. I can't remember for sure as I haven't looked at it since setting it in 2006!

Same goes for locking and unlocking. You can set "one press" for unlocking just driver side or all doors. etc.
      04-04-2011, 03:08 PM   #5
ovrdriv
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i -Space Gray

Does anyone know when "Lock if no door is opened" comes into play. One would think that if you stopped, got out and walked away that the doors would lock automatically within a given amount of time. If someone is in the vechicle I beleive they could still open the doors.
Personally I would like to be able to do this. My memory is not what it use to be and I've doubted myself and walked back to my car too many times only to find out I did lock it.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrdriv View Post
Does anyone know when "Lock if no door is opened" comes into play. One would think that if you stopped, got out and walked away that the doors would lock automatically within a given amount of time. If someone is in the vechicle I beleive they could still open the doors.
Personally I would like to be able to do this. My memory is not what it use to be and I've doubted myself and walked back to my car too many times only to find out I did lock it.
I believe you're right. The manual section about it is below. I've never checked the box and have no idea what BMW's definition of "a short period of time is".
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #7
Tauvil
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i - Black Sapphire

Ashamed to admit but apparently I need an "acoustic signal when leaving the car running" option. Spent 15 minutes in a Subway this weekend and walked out to a still-running vehicle! Oops. At least I locked the doors. I'm blaming the first-vehicle-with-push-button-start-stop learning curve!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
Upgrade15
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 White X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauvil View Post
Ashamed to admit but apparently I need an "acoustic signal when leaving the car running" option. Spent 15 minutes in a Subway this weekend and walked out to a still-running vehicle! Oops. At least I locked the doors. I'm blaming the first-vehicle-with-push-button-start-stop learning curve!
OOPS!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:23 PM   #9
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

The "Lock if no door is opened" function only works following an unlock from outside the car. If you get out and leave your doors unlocked, they stay that way. As they should.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The dang thing s quiet at idle, have almost done the same.

Re locking. I don't believe it locks automatically if you stop, turn off, and walk away. It only locks automatically if you unlock it remotely or by handle with comfort access and then do not open a door. I believe it recognizes that as an unintentional open and relocks the car.

Last edited by Nahoa; 04-05-2011 at 06:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
gregoryw1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 30i

Garage List
2015 X3 35i  [0.00]
I've done the same - and at a Subway too. It's just really quiet..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 09:09 AM   #12
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryw1 View Post
I've done the same - and at a Subway too. It's just really quiet..
There are some instruments on the dashboard that can be helpful here if you pay very close attention.
Appreciate 0