BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-16-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Info. Needed on Midwest Delivery Timeline

Hello All,

My x3 scheduled for production on week12, I called in this morning to 800 number to check the status since website shows on-order starting 2/21 till today, I was told it just started production and it will be going to paint shop next, also they mentioned production will be complete on 3/25

My questions are:

1. Does any of us here (especially from midwest, USA) have a rough idea as to how long it took for them to take delivery since production completion date, I am from minneapolis, MN, I know few of our members are from IL and MN, so any timeline information will be great. I am asking this because I have signed up for x3 drive event with my dealer and its scheduled on 4/12, so I wanted to plan on taking delivery either before or after the event.

2. I am also planning to add the mud flaps for the front and rear, would like to know if its going to cost me more (installation charges) if I have the dealer install it for me, during delivery. I am thinking I will need to pay only the cost of the product and it will installed for free if I add it before delivery, but not sure, so thought to check the experience of our x3 team here.

Any effort taken to respond is appreciated.

Thanks. Jay.

Last edited by jaymk5; 03-16-2011 at 12:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #2
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
1. Does any of us here (especially from midwest, USA) have a rough idea as to how long it took for them to take delivery since production completion date, I am from minneapolis, MN, I know few of our members are from IL and MN, so any timeline information will be great. I am asking this because I have signed up for x3 drive event with my dealer and its scheduled on 4/12, so I wanted to plan on taking delivery either before or after the event.
On average, about two to three weeks. Mine took exactly three weeks to get to Portland from SC. People on the east coast seem to be a little faster.

Quote:
2. I am also planning to add the mud flaps for the front and rear, would like to know if its going to cost me more (installation charges) if I have the dealer install it for me, during delivery. I am thinking I will need to pay only the cost of the product and it will installed for free if I add it before delivery, but not sure, so thought to check the experience of our x3 team here.
If you really want to save some money, do it yourself. Installing mudflaps is a twenty minute job at most. Doesn't hurt to ask the dealership to do it for free though. They might. But if you have a few basic tools it's an easy DIY.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Hello All,

1. Does any of us here (especially from midwest, USA) have a rough idea as to how long it took for them to take delivery since production completion date,....
According to the "800" info number, ours was completed on a Tuesday and was delivered to our Chicago suburban dealership on the following Saturday. Four, count em, four days! Unfortunately, the service dept. was closed on Saturdays so the car couldn't be prepped until the following Monday. Dealer prep took all of (2) hours (and the tire pressures were all way off, when delivered, so I wonder what they bothered to check).

At that time (first week of Feb.) the website timeline was lagging about 48 hours behind the "800" number in reporting vehicle production/shipping status.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
On average, about two to three weeks. Mine took exactly three weeks to get to Portland from SC. People on the east coast seem to be a little faster.
If this is the case then I will wait for the x3 drive event to complete and then take delivery, to avoid any issues related to 500 accessory gift card sent by bmw na.

Quote:
If you really want to save some money, do it yourself. Installing mudflaps is a twenty minute job at most. Doesn't hurt to ask the dealership to do it for free though. They might. But if you have a few basic tools it's an easy DIY.
Let me check with the dealer, to see if he can do this for me, if he asks for a fortune, then I will try DIY.

Thanks much for the responses.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #5
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
According to the "800" info number, ours was completed on a Tuesday and was delivered to our Chicago suburban dealership on the following Saturday. Four, count em, four days! Unfortunately, the service dept. was closed on Saturdays so the car couldn't be prepped until the following Monday. Dealer prep took all of (2) hours (and the tire pressures were all way off, when delivered, so I wonder what they bothered to check).

At that time (first week of Feb.) the website timeline was lagging about 48 hours behind the "800" number in reporting vehicle production/shipping status.
Incase if I get lucky like you, then it looks like I might get mine also in 4 days from the production completion date(3/25) which will be either 29th March(considering 4 calendar days) or 31st March(considering 4 business days), if that is the case it might be too tempting for me to let my car sit with the dealer for next 12 days. I will keep the group posted on how it goes, based on that I might need inputs to make my final decision. My point is I do not want to loose the 500$dollar, but at the same time I am also thinking not to leave the car with the dealer for a prolonged time, I have read complaints from fellow bimmers in the forum, that dealers let people drive customers car when it is with them, so I do not want the dealer to take advantage of my vehicle.

Anyway thx much for the response.

On a side note, I will also implement the screw change on my car, following you and MA78. I try to pay attention to detail as much as I can, and I liked that simple touch very much. But I am still yet to decide on my license frame. I think I saw 2 of them, one with "X3" on it and other one saying "ultimate driving machine", so thinking the later one will be good, but have to see once for real to see how its going to go with my car and color. If both don't work, I will probably go for a simple black frame like MA78
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #6
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Incase if I get lucky like you, then it looks like I might get mine also in 4 days from the production completion date(3/25) which will be either 29th March(considering 4 calendar days) or 31st March(considering 4 business days), if that is the case it might be too tempting for me to let my car sit with the dealer for next 12 days. I will keep the group posted on how it goes, based on that I might need inputs to make my final decision. My point is I do not want to loose the 500$dollar, but at the same time I am also thinking not to leave the car with the dealer for a prolonged time, I have read complaints from fellow bimmers in the forum, that dealers let people drive customers car when it is with them, so I do not want the dealer to take advantage of my vehicle.

Anyway thx much for the response.

On a side note, I will also implement the screw change on my car, following you and MA78. I try to pay attention to detail as much as I can, and I liked that simple touch very much. But I am still yet to decide on my license frame. I think I saw 2 of them, one with "X3" on it and other one saying "ultimate driving machine", so thinking the later one will be good, but have to see once for real to see how its going to go with my car and color. If both don't work, I will probably go for a simple black frame like MA78
I kinda hate my frame, but it was free. I'll probably replace it with a simple black metal frame soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #7
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
... I have read complaints from fellow bimmers in the forum, that dealers let people drive customers car when it is with them, so I do not want the dealer to take advantage of my vehicle.
Obviously, the "end-of-production to It-arrived-at the dealership" delay will depend on the mode of cross country transport. I believe my car was transported all the way from SC to IL via auto transporter (A big truck). For longer distances, they may use a truck to a rail depot and then a truck again at the other end after a slow train ride, obviously taking a lot longer overall.

If I were you, I'd let the dealer know that you absolutely don't want anyone "test-driving" your car before you receive it. I made that extremely clear to my CA and when I picked up the car it had 2.9 miles on the odo.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
f I were you, I'd let the dealer know that you absolutely don't want anyone "test-driving" your car before you receive it. I made that extremely clear to my CA and when I picked up the car it had 2.9 miles on the odo.
+1

I told them not to detail, wash or even look to hard at my car when it arrived. I had to take all the plastic off the seats myself, and that's how it should be dammit!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #9
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Obviously, the "end-of-production to It-arrived-at the dealership" delay will depend on the mode of cross country transport. I believe my car was transported all the way from SC to IL via auto transporter (A big truck). For longer distances, they may use a truck to a rail depot and then a truck again at the other end after a slow train ride, obviously taking a lot longer overall.

If I were you, I'd let the dealer know that you absolutely don't want anyone "test-driving" your car before you receive it. I made that extremely clear to my CA and when I picked up the car it had 2.9 miles on the odo.
Agreed, Chicago being an important midwest hub, they would have sent all cars that come to big city in one big truck, hence might be the reason for the speedy delivery of your car, since I am in minneapolis may be mine will be little bit slower.

And thanks for the idea of letting dealer know my thoughts, I would do that first via phone and then drop in a email to my CA and SM, to avoid this from happening.

Thanks Jay.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, Chicago being an important midwest hub, they would have sent all cars that come to big city in one big truck, hence might be the reason for the speedy delivery of your car, since I am in minneapolis may be mine will be little bit slower.

And thanks for the idea of letting dealer know my thoughts, I would do that first via phone and then drop in a email to my CA and SM, to avoid this from happening.

Thanks Jay.
Four days would be grand. I'll bet, though, that the production was finished far in advance of the web site/phone's idea of date and time.
Yeah, I'm beginning to sound like a broken record ...

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #11
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
+1

I told them not to detail, wash or even look to hard at my car when it arrived. I had to take all the plastic off the seats myself, and that's how it should be dammit!
Interesting, how much of a work it is to remove all the plastic and clean the car. Because I have seen atleast 3 cars in one of the dealership here in minnesota which dealer mentioned as just delivered, it was all full of dust and lot of plastic inside the car, also the idrive and other electronic stuff was also not gone through the initial setup. I am thinking it might be too much of a work to get the car prep'd for the first drive.

I actually have a concern that the detailing person in the dealer ship trying to clean my wood trim or external of the car and create fine scratches. I have to think about it.

Let me know how much time it took for you to do the prep work for the first drive? also would like to know if you took help from dealer to perform the initial idrive/electronic setup or you did that yourself ?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #12
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Interesting, how much of a work it is to remove all the plastic and clean the car. Because I have seen atleast 3 cars in one of the dealership here in minnesota which dealer mentioned as just delivered, it was all full of dust and lot of plastic inside the car, also the idrive and other electronic stuff was also not gone through the initial setup. I am thinking it might be too much of a work to get the car prep'd for the first drive.

I actually have a concern that the detailing person in the dealer ship trying to clean my wood trim or external of the car and create fine scratches. I have to think about it.

Let me know how much time it took for you to do the prep work for the first drive? also would like to know if you took help from dealer to perform the initial idrive/electronic setup or you did that yourself ?
I'm more than a little OCD about keeping things clean. So I might be the wrong guy to speak to this. I tend to go a little over board.

I spent two days doing my own delivery prep. :P
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm more than a little OCD about keeping things clean. So I might be the wrong guy to speak to this. I tend to go a little over board.

I spent two days doing my own delivery prep. :P
WoW you spent a lot of time to prep the car. I think dealer would have spent may be 2 or 3 hours at the max, but I am thinking your end result would have been much better than dealers work. I think I will let my dealer do the work, but let him know very clearly not to let anybody drive my car and be extra cautious to avoid any scratches on interior trim and on paint work. Thanks for the taking time to respond.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2011, 12:13 AM   #14
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Ordered my X3 Jan 11 with an open build slot during week 4. My BMW build video showed up on 1/28 and the car was at my dealer in Texas on 2/3. Cannot beat that.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 03:49 PM   #15
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

Quote:
I am asking this because I have signed up for x3 drive event with my dealer and its scheduled on 4/12, so I wanted to plan on taking delivery either before or after the event.

Thanks. Jay.
I think we will be at the same event…I have a 3:00PM slot on the 12th at Moterwerks
      04-05-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
Quote:
I am asking this because I have signed up for x3 drive event with my dealer and its scheduled on 4/12, so I wanted to plan on taking delivery either before or after the event.

Thanks. Jay.
I think we will be at the same eventÂ…I have a 3:00PM slot on the 12th at Moterwerks
I have the 11:00 that day . It is like a meet-up.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
jaymk5
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
I think we will be at the same event…I have a 3:00PM slot on the 12th at Moterwerks
I have a 4.30pm slot on 12th at Moterwerks, so I think it will be pretty close to your completion and my start, may be we might meet-up. For trikincurt its in the first half of the day, so it will be too late for him, until ours start.
Appreciate 0