BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #177
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Great job. So pleased this has fixed it. My car is due for its routine service next month so I will show the dealer this and get them to do the same on mine.

As you say the real issue here is that there is a fix but the mighty BMW seem not to want to recognise nor deal with the issue.

Anyhow, we got there in the end!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 03:20 PM   #178
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Get them to set up the rubber scraper carefully, they've been a touch agrerssive with the driver's side. In the sun it's expanded and melted the rubber as the glass slid over it :-(

Last edited by clivem2; 08-06-2012 at 04:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #179
sbpwjm
United_States
Rep
Drives: 88 Carrera

Quote:
Originally Posted by motosan View Post
Guys:
Just so you know, I just picked up my 2013 X3 a month ago and I also go the wind noise starting at 70-80mph... Gonna print out this thread and bring to my dealer =)
How did you make out Motosan?

Anyone else have success getting BMW to take action?
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #180
w*
Rep
Drives: x3

Hi, I picked up a '13 x3 28i last weekend. I only have ~200 all highway miles, but I feel like I have the same issue - wind noise once i get above 65-70mph. It's not deafening, but definitely noticeable compared to the e90 I traded in and requires turning the radio volume up. Before i bring it back to the dealer, could someone with a better eye than me take a look at this picture and tell what they think? I will say that it seems like theres a lot of space where the two rubber seals meet, I could have easily slipped my whole index finger down into the gap.

Also, is anybody fixingany doors other than the driver side? Seems like my passenger side door looks the same?

Appreciate 0
      08-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #181
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

That's about the position where the rubber scraper on mine was moved to by the dealer. Both passenger and driver sides. But 1mm can make all the difference, if you can wedge some foam in there you'll have your answer.
      08-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #182
tango131
Private
Rep
Drives: Boxster S; 2013 X3 28i

For other anecdotal experience, I don't notice any wind noise with ours, even in the 800+ mile trek from South Carolina to Chicago. Our cabin is pretty quiet.

2010 Porsche Boxster S (Mine)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #183
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 ZCP M3

sbpwjm:
The dealership around my place is too busy for a loaner, so I decided to pay them a visit perhaps when my first service is due. I will let you guys know if the dealer says anything interesting =)
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #184
sandsbra
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

I bought my BMW X3 one and a half year ago in Oslo Norway. Almost six month's a year we have to use winter tires. And during the winter time it is almost imossible to listen to the radio because og traffic noice.
Been visiting the BMW dealer several times, and unfortenately they can't figure out what the problem is. Tried several things without any good results.
I really would like to contact BMW in Germany directly because my dealer is telling me that they cannot help me. The dealer are awaiting new fix bulletin from BMW centrally.

The main BMW office in Norway is stating that all the new BMW's are at the same noice level. Frustrating....

Can someone give me a hint how to proceed further... Have tried to follow the routine described in this article... But sorry... Same noice level...
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #185
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I'm amazed how quite my 2013 X3 is - noticeably more than my 07 TL-S.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #186
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

I had a real sinking feeling when I started reading this thread. I have been planning on a new X3 for some while and the noise issue would have been a deal breaker for me. Thanks all you guys for your great investigative work in fixing this. Sigh of relief as my plans are back on track!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 03:15 PM   #187
sandsbra
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

HELP...

Finally... Now my X3 is quiet.

Please... Have anyone found a good solution to the traffic noice challenge.
Can't even listen to the radio because of the noice level.
Passenger side is quiet, and as expexted.

Name:  BMW X3.jpg
Views: 4078
Size:  176.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 05:23 AM   #188
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

clivem2:
Great find. On the side note, what's the explanation sound leaks in from that 1mm gap? From the outside, rubber seal does seem like closing any gap between the Window and the door. In addition, the rubber scraper is behind the window...

But I will definitely give it a try and bring it to my dealer, whom so far I have not had luck convincing them to address any wind noise issue I have had...
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 02:58 AM   #189
cohwang
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I have spent a lot of time on my X3 to find out the sources of the noise and eventually found out that there are two major reasons. One is the gaps between the rubber seals and the other is the poor contact of the rubber strips to the chasis. I have done the following things to reduce the noise and the result is pretty impressive. Please note that the final result would depend on how "bad" or how "good" the original weather sealing was done on your car.

1. I followed the instruction from the fellow member and filled the gaps of the rubber strips on all 4 windows.

2. The X3 has double sealing on each door, one is on the door and one is on the chassis. The rubber strip on the door was just barely touching the chassis. That's where the traffic noise was coming from. I taped a closed cell foam beside the rubber strip and "pushed" the rubber strip towards to the chassis. When the door is closed, the rubber strip would have more surface area touching the chassis. More surface area means better noise insulation. Please note that you can "push" the rubber strip too much towards to the chassis. Otherwise you can't close the door.

3. The truck has single sealing to the chassis. Also it had poor contact to the truck door. What I did was to tape a thin felt sheet on the area where the rubber strip touched the truck door. The area was about 4cm in width and 4m in the total length. You can buy a 9"x12" felt sheet real cheap in Michaels, and cut it yourself.

4. When the doors are closed, you find there is a line of gap on the metal part between the front door and the rear door. Some cars on the market do have a rubber strips covering the gap, like the Ford Escape. Again I put a closed cell foam to fill the gap. The thickness of the foam couldn't be too thick or too thin. Otherwise the gap won't be filled if it's too thin or the door cannot be closed if it's too thick.

I also discover that the black plastic trim covering the door glass (upper door) looks quite flimsy. I suspect it is the other noise source which I have to spend some time on it.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 03:25 AM   #190
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

cohwang:
Nice work to fill the gap. However, can you share more details by posting pictures and perhaps giving us recommended brands and specs for closed cell foam, and perhaps some best practices to fill those gaps?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #191
cohwang
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Picture 1 - I filled the big gaps underneath the rubber strip and taped a medium cell foam along the rubber strip. I also put filled the gap between the door panel and platic trim with a little felt pad.

Picture 2 - It was the front passenger door. The closed cell foam was placed beside the weather strip, pushing the weather strip a little inward (to the left in my picture).

Picture 3 - As you see, the weather strip on the door was pushed towards to the chassis. Before you apply the foam, you can slip the finger through the weather strip to get an idea how "loose" the weather strip touches the chassis. Then do the same after applying the foam, and you'll feel the difference.

Picture 4 & 5 - I put EDPM rubber P on the edge of the front door as you see. In the next picture, I taped a closed cell foam about 3mm thickness on the front edge of the rear door. When the doors were closed, the EDPM rubber P gave "room" to compress.

I purchased the EDPM from Homedepot.
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/epdm...-in-x17/975242

Picture 6 - I cut the felt sheet and sticked it around the edge of the truck. The felt sheet gave about 1.5mm thinkness when touching the rubber seal. I didn't do a good job when cutting the sheet. I should have done better to make it look nicer.

The felt sheet comes with difference colors. You can pick the best match for your body color.
http://canada.michaels.com/on/demand...w?pid=C_kd3928

I hope my information would help. I try to make my works as clean as possible, and not to mess up the beauty of my X3. In rainy days, I found a big difference before and after. I used my iPhone to measure noise level in my cabin. First, I was in a covered parking with engine on and air vent set to first level. There were a few cars and many ppl walking right besides me. I got the lowest of 52db. Then I drove at around 60miles on highway with air vent turned to first level. My tires have about 50% left and the road condition was moderate. I got the lowest of 68db. I believe these readings weren't too bad at all compared with the rivals, like Q5 or GLK.
Attached Images

Last edited by cohwang; 07-01-2013 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 12:09 AM   #192
motosan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

cohwang:
Thanks a bunch. That's very informative. I will try the same. Right now I'm getting 55dB idle with 1 level of AC and in motion from 0-40mph is between 60-70dB and 60mph is about 75-77dB and 80mph is 85dB, which is considered pretty noisy.

I will definitely try out your method. It seems like there is going to be at least 10-15dB drop using your insulation method. I will post my result after I finish hopefully by this July 4th weekend =)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #193
Dtiger77
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 xdrive30i

Unhappy Door Panel gap

I just got a 2014 X3, and have the same symptoms as this thread addresses. Sorry about bringing up such an old thread, btw. I can't tell if my seals are that far off from the "after" pics, but I did notice the drivers side, rear door panel has a space so wide you can fit your finger between the top of the panel and the glass. Could this be where the traffic/wind noise is coming from? Mine is not the whistling problem, it's the "you can hear cars driving by you when you're sitting still, like a window is partially rolled down" problem. Any thoughts on this misaligned panel? I've attached 3 pictures, the first two are the bad fitting panel, the last one is the rear door on the passenger side, which fits perfectly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 06:21 AM   #194
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It is easy to adjust the closing of the door a little if the seals aren't quite touching the body. Fortunately I don't have the noise issue on mine, except when there is a hurricane blowing!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #195
Dtiger77
United_States
Rep

thank you

Good point. I'll have the dealer look at adjusting how tight the door shuts, as well. My point was to show that the interior door panel appears to have separated from the door, and I don't want to try and force or snap it back on and break something. Not sure if anyone else had a badly assembled interior door panel and noticed noise from it or not. Must have been built right before quitting time on a Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
It is easy to adjust the closing of the door a little if the seals aren't quite touching the body. Fortunately I don't have the noise issue on mine, except when there is a hurricane blowing!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #196
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtiger77 View Post
Good point. I'll have the dealer look at adjusting how tight the door shuts, as well. My point was to show that the interior door panel appears to have separated from the door, and I don't want to try and force or snap it back on and break something. Not sure if anyone else had a badly assembled interior door panel and noticed noise from it or not. Must have been built right before quitting time on a Friday.
Dtiger, I think the panels are secured by small nylon 'popper' type inserts and they can come adrift if not fully inserted. You can sometimes find the location of the insert with a piece of card inserted between the panel and door frame. Then a firm tap with the palm of the hand can pop it back in. I had a panel like that on my previous BMW.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2014, 06:34 AM   #197
Moodyblue
Registered
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35d

I agree, about the wind and traffic noise - six months on with my new X3, I still keep checking that all the windows and doors are properly shut...

Definitely not as quiet as my previous XC60, and probably will go back to Volvo for my next car.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:29 PM   #198
Dtiger77
United_States
Rep

thanks

ianfp,
Popping the panel tighter seems to have helped somewhat. Much less noticeable. Appreciate the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfp View Post
Dtiger, I think the panels are secured by small nylon 'popper' type inserts and they can come adrift if not fully inserted. You can sometimes find the location of the insert with a piece of card inserted between the panel and door frame. Then a firm tap with the palm of the hand can pop it back in. I had a panel like that on my previous BMW.
Appreciate 0