BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Sport Suspension Delete with M Sport Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon
Sport Suspension Delete removes the sport suspension and makes the ride a bit soft (not bad, but not sporty). You should add DHP if you want a sporty ride. In Sport and Sport+, the car comes alive.

Thanks, but this makes no sense. The M Sport Package is supposed to give a sportier ride. You're saying that The M Sport Package gives a softer ride than the non- M Sport versions? BMW deletes the Sport Suspension in The M Sport Package? Does this makes sense to anyone? I thought this meant that it was replaced with something sportier.

Explanation in the first paragraph by fellow Poster. Why does BMW delete the Sports Suspension if one adds the M Sport package? Does this make sense to anyone? One adds the M Sport Package and BMW deletes the Sport Suspension? Because they want us to purchase The Dynamic Handling Package?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon
Sport Suspension Delete removes the sport suspension and makes the ride a bit soft (not bad, but not sporty). You should add DHP if you want a sporty ride. In Sport and Sport+, the car comes alive.

Thanks, but this makes no sense. The M Sport Package is supposed to give a sportier ride. You're saying that The M Sport Package gives a softer ride than the non- M Sport versions? BMW deletes the Sport Suspension in The M Sport Package? Does this makes sense to anyone? I thought this meant that it was replaced with something sportier.

Explanation in the first paragraph by fellow Poster. Why does BMW delete the Sports Suspension if one adds the M Sport package? Does this make sense to anyone? One adds the M Sport Package and BMW deletes the Sport Suspension? Because they want us to purchase The Dynamic Handling Package?
It's all down to marketing and they don't do this anywhere else to my knowledge, only NA. Either it's a ploy to make you get the Dynamic Handling Package as well or that's what they think the majority of you actually want...

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Is there an elephant in the room? Are people suggesting, but not exactly saying, that "Sport Suspension Delete" in the US and Canada means that the M-Sport package is purely cosmetic, and that an X3 with M-Sport has the exact same suspension as every other non-DHP X3?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #4
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Yep, that's it exactly. Msport = lipstick.

Someone on the forum previously checked realOEM and the suspension part numbers were the same on NA cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Is there an elephant in the room? Are people suggesting, but not exactly saying, that "Sport Suspension Delete" in the US and Canada means that the M-Sport package is purely cosmetic, and that an X3 with M-Sport has the exact same suspension as every other non-DHP X3?
      10-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

The M-Sport does not give the sport suspension, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it purely "lipstick."

In my opinion, the sport seats are much better and more supportive and the sport steering wheel is nicer too. Additionally, you get the Sport automatic gearbox which isn't cosmetic at all and is an improvement over standard. Finally, the M-Sport also affords additional cooling over the standard model. This is all not to mention the 19-inch wheels which will provide better cornerning performance.

Honestly, I came from an E90 with the sport package and driving the X3 now with the M-Sport. My opinion is that, while it is clear that the X3 doesn't have the outright cornering performance of my old car, it definately keeps the BMW characteristics and is a sporty and fun ride when pushed hard. I don't think we are missing out on the sport suspension too much and the non-sport gives a nicer ride which I am appreciating the 95% of the time that I am not pushing the thing hard in a corner.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

What exactly is the sport automatic transmission other than paddles to shift (which can be done on the other models through the console mounted shifted)?

Sure better seats for lateral support and lower profile tires for cornering but performance wise all 35i's have the same specified 0-60.
      10-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
The M-Sport does not give the sport suspension, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it purely "lipstick."

In my opinion, the sport seats are much better and more supportive and the sport steering wheel is nicer too. Additionally, you get the Sport automatic gearbox which isn't cosmetic at all and is an improvement over standard. Finally, the M-Sport also affords additional cooling over the standard model. This is all not to mention the 19-inch wheels which will provide better cornerning performance.

Honestly, I came from an E90 with the sport package and driving the X3 now with the M-Sport. My opinion is that, while it is clear that the X3 doesn't have the outright cornering performance of my old car, it definately keeps the BMW characteristics and is a sporty and fun ride when pushed hard. I don't think we are missing out on the sport suspension too much and the non-sport gives a nicer ride which I am appreciating the 95% of the time that I am not pushing the thing hard in a corner.
You get the nicer steering wheel, tires, transmission, and sports seats with the SAP package as well and it is a much cheaper option, minus the lipstick of the Msport.
      10-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by colson79 View Post
You get the nicer steering wheel, tires, transmission, and sports seats with the SAP package as well and it is a much cheaper option, minus the lipstick of the Msport.
True! We don't have the SAP package here in Canada... that being said, I like the "lipstick" from the M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
What exactly is the sport automatic transmission other than paddles to shift (which can be done on the other models through the console mounted shifted)?

Sure better seats for lateral support and lower profile tires for cornering but performance wise all 35i's have the same specified 0-60.
Regarding the Sport Auto, my understanding was that the software was different (and may be the oiling/hydraulics?) to allow quicker shifts. This is in addition to the paddles.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Regarding the Sport Auto, my understanding was that the software was different (and may be the oiling/hydraulics?) to allow quicker shifts. This is in addition to the paddles.
Correct me if I am wrong. But I don't believe you get down shift rev matching in manual mode or otherwise without the Sport Shift Automatic. This is my fourth car with the 8 speed ZF Transmission. There is a noticeable difference between the standard and sport shift auto.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
car_fan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 F97 X3M

Garage List
2020 BMW X3M  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
+ 1 there is a thread posted somewhere on the board about this. I believe it may have been covered in the F10 section.
2018 X3 M40i BSM/Oyster/ZPP/ZPX/HK/S6CPA/718M(retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:32 PM   #12
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Thanks everyone for your commentary!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #13
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Cool

According to the brochure, you only get the "adrenaline pumping with the hands on thrill of an 8-speed sport automatic transmission" with M Sport on the 35i.
Appreciate 0