BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-16-2024, 03:56 PM   #1
louieh1991
Registered
Rep
Drives: x4 f26

Wireless apple car play

Hey, I’ve got a f26 2017 with Id 5 software, I’m wondering if it’s possible to install wireless apple car play to it. I’ve done a bit of research and ordered a rj45 to obd connector to connect car to laptop. I’ve also ordered a wireless antenna which I’ve been told I will need. Only thing I’m lacking now is the software to actually put it on. Also is there anyway of upgrading to I’d 6? ThanksHey, I’ve got a f26 2017 with Id 5 software, I’m wondering if it’s possible to install wireless apple car play to it. I’ve done a bit of research and ordered a rj45 to obd connector to connect car to laptop. I’ve also ordered a wireless antenna which I’ve been told I will need. Only thing I’m lacking now is the software to actually put it on. Also is there anyway of upgrading to I’d 6? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 11:57 AM   #2
ultimate-tester
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 xDrive28i

If the “F26” is not a typo, please be aware there’s a dedicated X4 forum too!

Honestly I’m doubting you currently have an ID5 system but it could be. If it is indeed the case there’s no difference between ID5 and ID6 systems, and is the configuration set to show you the id5 user interface. For CarPlay you’ll need a WiFi antenna connected and set the appropriate configuration to activate the WiFi functionality. All of this can be done with e-sys.

To verify what you have, can you post a photo of your user interface?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 01:57 PM   #3
mitchathome
England
Rep
Drives: F25 30d xDrive M Sport

I have a 2017 F25 which currently is running ID6 and split screen Apple car play. I would like to have fullscreen but understand I would need a firmware upgrade as my current version is NBTevo_K17052l but to get full screen I need a version N,O,P,Q,R,S,T,U,V,W,X,Y or the latest version that is available for my car.
Anyone on here that knows of someone who can remote upgrade (unless you are in Kent UK) at a reasonable price ?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 02:01 PM   #4
louieh1991
Registered
Rep

How come you would doubt I had I’d 5? I’m only going off pictures off the internet that explain it by the way the menu is displayed which tell me it’s id 5 but could be wrong. Will post a pic if you could tell me please
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 02:06 PM   #5
louieh1991
Registered
Rep

What I found so far, there is a website called prolazo and I’ve spoken to them for me to get full screen it’s 149.99 and they send you the file and do it yourself
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2024, 08:16 AM   #6
mitchathome
England
Rep
Drives: F25 30d xDrive M Sport

I have gone to a local coding Guru and I now have full screen apple car play.
It required a firmware upgrade as my then current firmware was not capable of upgrading without the firmware upgrade. I did mention that I was planning on doing it myself but although it would be possible you have to be very careful about maintaining the correct voltage throughout the entire upgrading processas as there is potential to brick the HU if you dont. My guy used a battery charging style machine that was plugged into the mains and maintaned a constant 14.1v during the upgrade process (approx 90mins). Attached pics show before and after versions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0