BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2024, 11:25 PM   #1
nesterkyn
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3, 1999 BMW Z3

ZF 8hp upshift in 'manual mode'

I have a 2013 f25 X3 (4cyl) with the 8 speed ZF 8hp gearbox. I live in Colorado and like to drift around in the snow whenever the roads get bad, but the transmission keeps making it harder by up shifting at the worst times and causing the car to grip up.

Essentially, when I put the car into ‘manual mode’ and stick it in 1st, I can floor the gas, get it to break loose, and the engine will bounce off the limiter as long as I keep the pedal to the floor. The issue is, as soon as I lift at all (to modulate throttle and keep the car in drift) the trans upshifts to 2nd, and if I’m not on blue ice the car grips back up due to lack of power and snow tires. This seems like a software setting that could be changed. Does anyone have any experience with this type of software modification? I’d like the car to just lock 100% in the gear I’ve selected so I can modulate and shift as I would drifting my manual ‘99 Z3.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated, and if you haven’t tried sliding your X3 in the snow yet you really should, it gets rally car sideways!
Appreciate 0