BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-15-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
pjr710
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Buying a used X3 35i? Good or bad idea?

I have a n54 07 e92 335i that I love. I've owned it since it had 20k on it and is now pushing 145k. I used to DD it, now i've set it aside a project car that i will single turbo one day. i've done my fair share of maintenence.

I currently DD an old mazda tribute that is rusting out. Time for me to look for something else.

I've been looking and looking and it's tough out there. I liked the X5 diesels, but fear they may be a bit of a nightmare.

I've always liked the idea of the X3. The first gens I think are nice but since BMW didn't actually build them and them having a plastic front diff gear, little issues with them make me weary.

I've waited long enough and its seems like these second gen X3s have come into a price range I can live with.

I was made aware that early models, pre 2016 with the 4 cyl have issues with time chain guides.

I wouldn't mind the N55 engine, but i don't know what goes bad on them.

I've replaced almost everything on my N54 - i hear the n55 isn't AS bad.

Do the turbos rattle and need replacing at some point? How about injectors or fuel pumps?

Any other problems or major issues with these X3s?

Should i look at something else? Are you happy with yours?

I would use it as a DD and occasionally tow a trailer or jet skis,
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 11:45 AM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Perhaps take a read thru some of this thread: https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...ht=reliability

I purchased a used 2012 28i (N52 normally aspirated motor) from original owner at 51K miles, now 4 years later at 110K miles and aside from regular maintenance items, replacing leaking valve cover gasket (typical BMW issue) I've had no issues with the car, nothing has 'broken'. Original owner had rear hatch struts replaced under warranty way back when.

I have been driving Bimmers for 16 years, all 6-cyl motors, none had turbo - I went with this motor as I know the less moving parts the better in terms of longevity and reliability. Not the power of the N55 w/turbo but moves along well enough for me - available for 2 years, 2011-2012....so not so easy to locate. Last note, avoid the 4-banger N20; it was problematic pre 2013 and frankly the I-6 motors pull this 4,200 lb. car along better.

Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 12:29 PM   #3
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I bought mine as a daily about a year ago, since then I haven't really had any buyers remorse. Charge pipe blew up almost immediately when I purchased it and other than that it's been fine.

Other notable items are clogged windshield wiper tank (common) and a few other little things but nothing crazy. I'm pretty critical when it comes to my cars so I take my perspective and turn it down when asked about how I feel about the cars performance/reliability etc...

That being said 2016 N55 M sport, bought at 42k miles, currently at 51k miles mostly fine would buy it again.

Biggest N55 dependent issues are:

Charge pipe blows up ($250 DIY depending on what you replace with)
Oil Filter Head Gasket (Hear this one can be pricey, this seems to need replacing in the 50-100k range)
Valve Cover Gasket (Similar to above I think)
Water pump (60k? Someone confirm)

Having said that I've heard from others with 100k miles who haven't had any of the above issues... Other than that it's pretty solid...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 05:56 PM   #4
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
It's a good vehicle, but can have some occasional bmw issues. I mostly drive my Model 3 now, and it feels like a day/night difference between a Model 3 and a bmw, and maintenance is way cheaper....so you may want to consider a Model 3 if budget allows.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 06:28 PM   #5
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
As with any vehicle, if it was well maintained and not neglected, the 35i is a solid platform. With BMWs lifetime fluid crap, depending on miles, if the drivetrain fluids have not been changed, you could have some expensive repairs down the road. If you can find one with the DHP, even better...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 09:28 PM   #6
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

I bought my 13 35i with 47k miles about 4 years ago. It has 107k miles right now I think. I had to replace the water pump/thermostat by 60k and then again around 102k. Besides that, I changed the valve cover (built in pcv), oil filter housing gasket and the coolant system reservoir tank.

Besides all that, I have done regular maintenance on the car (fluids, brakes, tires etc...) and I think the car has only left me stranded once. And that was for the water pump going bad. I think it's a reliable car. Since you have experience with the n54, I think you will be very comfortable with this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 10:41 AM   #7
Swaggywhitebeamer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 35i MSport

This! I currently have a 2016 X3 35i M (n55) coming from a 2007 e92 355i (n54) that I have owned for a little over 2 years. 85k on the clock as of yesterday no issues at all, which is almost hard to believe… I put so much $ into my n54 e92 that I basically replaced half the entire.car.. every time i would punch it something else would break. Once I fixed everything it was as solid car. The X3 is solid from day 1, you can take it on the off road or on a beach and it won’t break. You can punch it and it will respond without exploding. It’s obv. Not as sporty or fast as e92 but the trade off in space and comfort and reliability is so worth it. I have all tir features which has made the car age more gracefully would def recommend best car for the price you can find imho
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #8
mwat
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & LCI X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
2016 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggywhitebeamer View Post
This! I currently have a 2016 X3 35i M (n55) coming from a 2007 e92 355i (n54) that I have owned for a little over 2 years. 85k on the clock as of yesterday no issues at all, which is almost hard to believe… I put so much $ into my n54 e92 that I basically replaced half the entire.car.. every time i would punch it something else would break. Once I fixed everything it was as solid car. The X3 is solid from day 1, you can take it on the off road or on a beach and it won’t break. You can punch it and it will respond without exploding. It’s obv. Not as sporty or fast as e92 but the trade off in space and comfort and reliability is so worth it. I have all tir features which has made the car age more gracefully would def recommend best car for the price you can find imho
Agreed, but specifically the last part.

SQ5 similar year similar miles - $35k at least
GLC 43 - $40k
Macan S - $35-40k
LCI X3 35i M sport - Can find one under $30k pretty easy, I think.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:49 PM   #9
dcssteve
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwat View Post
I bought mine as a daily about a year ago, since then I haven't really had any buyers remorse. Charge pipe blew up almost immediately when I purchased it and other than that it's been fine.

Other notable items are clogged windshield wiper tank (common) and a few other little things but nothing crazy. I'm pretty critical when it comes to my cars so I take my perspective and turn it down when asked about how I feel about the cars performance/reliability etc...

That being said 2016 N55 M sport, bought at 42k miles, currently at 51k miles mostly fine would buy it again.

Biggest N55 dependent issues are:

Charge pipe blows up ($250 DIY depending on what you replace with)
Oil Filter Head Gasket (Hear this one can be pricey, this seems to need replacing in the 50-100k range)
Valve Cover Gasket (Similar to above I think)
Water pump (60k? Someone confirm)

Having said that I've heard from others with 100k miles who haven't had any of the above issues... Other than that it's pretty solid...
Absolutely true about the water pump. Mine at 60k, plan to replace it again at 120. When looking for next three, I ran across several with water pump issues around the same mileage.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2024, 09:38 PM   #10
E36M3
Private
Rep
Drives: 97 M3, '14 335i, '12 X3 35i

I have a 2012 X3 35i with over 170k miles and have replaced:
2 water pumps/thermostats
Coils
Valve cover (cracked vacuum chamber that is integrated into the cover that was internally hidden)
Tensioners/pulleys and belt x2
Radiator and coolant hoses
Transmission oil cooler (leak)
2 Sets of brakes
4 sets of plugs
Transfer case
Intercooler pipe
OFHG x2 and oil cooler gasket
Walnut blast carbon
PCV valve cover vent hose
Radiator overflow ball and hose
Oil pressure sensor (leaked through the sensor)
Tension struts (front lower control arms and ball joints)
Doing continental style high pressure fuel pump tomorrow.
Transmission fluid and pan x3
Appreciate 1
Wgosma806.00
      02-13-2024, 06:09 PM   #11
ClutchFC
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3 35i

Purchased used X3 35i with 88k. It now has about 211k and FBO Stg2+ E35-E40 daily. So far the car has seen:

Numerous oil changes
Oil Filter Housing Gasket x2
Expansion Tank Vent Hose
Plugs replaced x5
Coils replaced x4
Front and Rear Struts/Shocks
All four wheel bearings
Cabin Filters x2
Serpentine belt
Rear Diff Fluid
Three sets of tires
TPMS Module Antenna
Tensioner Pulley
Idler Pulley
Expansion Tank Cap
Water Pump
Guibo
Thermostat
Upper Radiator Hose
Radiator
Brakes x2
Left and Right rear axles
Valve cover gasket
Valve Cover AND gasket (2nd gasket) (because the gasket replaced alone didn't solve it)
Turbo Oil Drain Tube
Battery
Front Control Arms (Radius and Wishbone, and balljoints)
TMAP Sensor
PCV Tube x2 (accidently broke the 2nd time because how brittle it gets)
Front Sway bar links
Rear Taillight LED boards
Two light bulbs

There's probably a few more minor things I'm missing but I think you get the picture. Also FWIW, there's multiple things on the list that weren't actually in need of repairs, but I either chose to do it for preventative or to match left and right sides with fresh parts. EVERYTHING replaced also got new OEM hardware (where applicable) as well. And then obviously you have the parts I changed with aftermarket goodies that aren't listed.
Appreciate 0