BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #23
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodaski55 View Post
Looking forward to picking up our 2013 x3 by the end of this month.the e.p.a.rating of 28 highway was surprising but i think once breakin is done you could get around 30 mpg. my dealer mentioned that you should be able to run mid grade fuel in the n20 [octane ratings in the u.s are greater here vs europe] let the anticipation begin.
Sorry to disagree, but fuel quality in the States is beyond bad and requires European and Japanese cars sold in the States to be remapped.

The worst quality fuel sold here, in mainland Europe, has an octane rating of 95 and goes up to 100.
I personally use Shell V-Power 100 octane.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:22 AM   #24
Trumpeter68
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 and '05 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by heverlee View Post
do you feel any turbo lag/under power at high rpm? how does the new standard wheel for 28i look like?

thanks

Too early to tell about turbo lag as we haven't driven it under any situations where we would push the engine hard. Under normal driving, I can't feel any lag, but I'm not a 'total performance' person.

As to the wheel, the BMWUSA 'build your own' feature shows a 2013 standard interior with good shots of the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 06:29 AM   #25
sbt007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
Sorry to disagree, but fuel quality in the States is beyond bad and requires European and Japanese cars sold in the States to be remapped.

The worst quality fuel sold here, in mainland Europe, has an octane rating of 95 and goes up to 100.
I personally use Shell V-Power 100 octane.
Well, the 87/89/91 (TKI) referred to by someone from US/Canada is not the same unit as european octane (RON). The mid grade 89 here is approximately equal to 94-95 in europe I think.
[edit] you are right though in saying that the lowest grade in NA (87) is lower than that that in europe.

Last edited by sbt007; 04-12-2012 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 07:03 AM   #26
X3ff
United_States
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FX3OK View Post
Same octane requirement on the 2012 28i. If you check inside the filler door, little sticky says minimum octane 89..which in canada is mid grade, premium is 91 octane
It is common with modern cars to have a range of acceptable octane numbers. The car computer and the knock sensor work together to set the timing of the engine on a realtime basis.

Generally the manufacturer rates the vehicle's horsepower and torque at a specified octane (in this case probably 91 octane since BMW 'recommends' that for the vehicle I believe) but if you use a lower octane (down to what ever the manufaturer states is the minimum), the car computer will adjust the timing and the car will run just fine. It will be producing less horsepower and torque with the lower octane fuel however.

The opposite can also be true when a car manufacturer rates the horsepower and torque for a recommended 87 octane, in many vehicles the computer will adjust the timing based on the knock sensor and provide improved performance.

Since the computer adjusts things based on knock, you should see the most significant performance change under conditions where knock is more likely to occur (hot air temps, hot motor, heavy loads).

Before cars had computers and knock sensors it did not matter from a performance standpiont what octane you put in the vehicle as long as it was high enough to keep detonation (knock) from occuring.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #27
DGDuerr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodaski55 View Post
Looking forward to picking up our 2013 x3 by the end of this month.the e.p.a.rating of 28 highway was surprising but i think once breakin is done you could get around 30 mpg. my dealer mentioned that you should be able to run mid grade fuel in the n20 [octane ratings in the u.s are greater here vs europe] let the anticipation begin.
My 28i gets a solid 30mpg highway...have even got it up to 32mpg if I monitor my usage of the gas pedal, I would have expected a better rating on mpg's.