BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-06-2014, 05:50 AM   #1
jeff_K
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i 2013

Tailgate struts creaking

Tailgate works fine BUT the gas struts make creaking sounds during operation. It's like it is straining to do its job...moans and groans. Is that normal for a 1yr old car?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 12:04 AM   #2
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

suspect it's dirt. Had this happen to mine. Lubed it up with some silicon spray. Groans went away!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
jeff_K
Rep

According to my friend who bought his X3 around the same time as I, the operation of the tailgate is virtually silent except for a faint hiss of the hydraulics. Definitely not creaking like an old stiff door. It also shuts softly and not with a slam. There's also the rusty bolt on one of the arm/strut which I will raise with the service centre. Totally unacceptable! If not for the creaking sound, I would not have spotted it. In addition, the right wing mirror occasionally unfolds with a "cluck cluck" sound and so is the driver's window. Hmmm...BMW certainly has some issues with quality! It's only 1 year old and I parked indoors most of the time.

I have made an appointment to have the car check out next week. Will report back after.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #4
jeff_K
Rep

Engineer had a listen and said the 2 struts were definitely not right; needed to be dismantled and examined. I left the car with BMW Service recently, went on holidays, and picked it up just now. The struts were replaced. Yippee. No more creaks But...they could not even replace the only one rusty bolt. Need to order so they say. Wondering now how they ran out of bolts...so many replacement required that they ran out? No major problems with the wing mirror and windscreen identified...just some "lube" required; need to monitor the later 2 before warranty runs out.

Last edited by jeff_K; 06-17-2014 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: Forgot to report on 2 minor issues
Appreciate 0