BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-25-2024, 03:15 PM   #1
mventura22
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X3

I have a 2023 X3 Xdrive, owned for 10 months with approximately 8,500 miles. I’ve noticed a few rock chips on the passenger side. But the major issue is the speckling all over the windshield. It is very obviously in direct sunlight that there is specks covering the entire windshield. I did have my windshield coated prior to winter here in Chicago. Which I thought maybe they’re in the coating? But it seems they’re clearly in the windshield. Has anyone else had this issue fixed by replacing the windshield? I’ve never seen so many speckles in all my years of driving on my previous vehicles. It is crazy how many there are when I’m driving in direct sunlight.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 03:52 PM   #2
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mventura22 View Post
I have a 2023 X3 Xdrive, owned for 10 months with approximately 8,500 miles. I’ve noticed a few rock chips on the passenger side. But the major issue is the speckling all over the windshield. It is very obviously in direct sunlight that there is specks covering the entire windshield. I did have my windshield coated prior to winter here in Chicago. But they’re clearly in the windshield. Has anyone else had this issue fixed by replacing the windshield? I’ve never seen so many speckles in all my years of driving on my previous vehicles. It is crazy how many there are when I’m driving in direct sunlight.
You're probably referring to what some people refer to as micro cracks. It's noticeable to me particularly during winter months as my morning and afternoon commute to and from work is directly towards east and west respectively. My sunglasses reduce the effect and sun isn't directly in front all throughout the year so not enough to really bother me but I know they're there.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:07 PM   #3
TXGrey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X4M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW  [9.83]
Windshields have gotten pretty soft these days… depending on where you drive, it can get pretty bad. I’m 3 years into my ‘21 ownership and my windshield looks fairly pathetic in the right light. Specks galore.
Appreciate 2
hyde555.50
lfdal541036.00
      03-25-2024, 04:11 PM   #4
BMWbiker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i xdrive wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mventura22 View Post
I have a 2023 X3 Xdrive, owned for 10 months with approximately 8,500 miles. I’ve noticed a few rock chips on the passenger side. But the major issue is the speckling all over the windshield. It is very obviously in direct sunlight that there is specks covering the entire windshield. I did have my windshield coated prior to winter here in Chicago. Which I thought maybe they’re in the coating? But it seems they’re clearly in the windshield. Has anyone else had this issue fixed by replacing the windshield? I’ve never seen so many speckles in all my years of driving on my previous vehicles. It is crazy how many there are when I’m driving in direct sunlight.
I’ve experienced this with all my previous cars. I chalk it up to driving in less than pristine conditions. Cars and trucks in front of you can kick up stones, pebbles, sand, dirt, and such. Wind can blow all sorts of stuff at you. Windshield wipers can scrape them across your windshield. Even stationary particles with respect to the ground are being slammed into your windshield at 65 MPH or more.

I’ve never replaced a windshield because of it. I was glad when the windshield of a previous car had to be replaced for an unrelated cause, so I got back a clearer view.
      03-25-2024, 06:14 PM   #5
Murf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 G80 M3C - Dravit Grey

My 19 is so bad it's about to be replaced because of a future crack. Wink wink.
Florida is a no deductible glass state. Wink.
Appreciate 1
TXGrey1284.00
      03-25-2024, 06:27 PM   #6
Jimmyohdez
Rep
Drives: X3 xdrive 30i (G01)

I used a spray on wax on my entire car including the windows and noticed that at night I could see a bunch of little specks all over the windshield kind of like glitter. You did mention you had the window coated, do the other windows look similar or is it just the front windshield?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 11:29 PM   #7
hyde
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
My 19 is so bad it's about to be replaced because of a future crack. Wink wink.
Florida is a no deductible glass state. Wink.
New York is, too but they don't cover OEM. So you may or may not get the best glass, HUD might be blurry, rain sensing wipers may not be as sensitive and so on.. I wouldn't push for replacement unless it's in horrible condition. Just saying you might wish you kept the OEM glass.
BMW quoted me outrageous numbers. Check my post history in G05 sub forum..
      03-27-2024, 09:49 PM   #8
bubbleboy
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

'13 X3 F25 - I replace my windshield every year because of the micro-cracks or chips. Starts to get hard to see. Safelite and another 3rd party so far because of cost ($100 copay with Geico). 5 windshields in 6 years.
I seriously wonder if they cut costs in their glass by reducing the amount of some mineral and that's why it gets bad 6-8 months in.
I've asked and they just say "It's Colorado, a dusty sandy state, it is what it is".
Still, if I got BMW glass would it be better?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2024, 09:06 AM   #9
LittleRocketShip
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

In over 30 years of driving, my 2023 M40 has been most prone to tiny chips. I actually bought the car during a “storm” in Southern California and failed noticing one until getting home. Within 8 months I have about 10 or so. Same commute past 20 years. No issues except occasional errant rock very 5 years causing large cracks that need replacement.
Appreciate 0