BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #23
luvbmw358
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

My 2017 X3 28i does the same thing when parked in dark conditions. If I open and close the passenger door the lights stay lit and do not turn off. I have to open the driver side door and either turn ignition on and off or turn the lights from Automatic to off. So I've gotten in the habit of checking to make sure lights are off, especially when parked in my garage or in other dark conditions.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #24
thomarbau
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3

When you shut the vehicle off with your foot on the brake the lights stay on. If you release the brake and then shut the vehicle off the light shut off. I’m not sure why this happens but it does.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #25
smthomas77
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Now and again, I will return to my car some hours later and headlights, parking lights and tail lights. The only way it seems I can get them to go off is to get into the car, close the doors, start it and stop it. Wait a few seconds before exiting.

This has happened to me in 3 different BMW X3 M40i's.

I suspect I open door and then power off car and exit quickly. I think if I slow down, turn off car, then open doors and exit, I don't have this issue. I have had the issue less, as I try to slow my exiting down to avoid issue. I used to be a pizz driver and the quick exit and quick starts are still ingrained.

I see this as a significant design flaw. At first I thought my car had issue, but then it happened in a loaner, and continues to happen in my new M40i.

Anyone else see this issue?
This just happened to me today for the first time (6 days since I picked up the car). I pulled into my garage the same way I do any other day. Today it must have been bit cloudier/darker than usual and I noticed the lights turned on as I pulled in the garage. When I got out I just assumed they would go off in a minute. I came back out 10 min later and they were still on.

Nothing would turn them off except turning the headlight switch to off and back to auto. I assume start/stop engine would have worked too, but didn't have to resort to that. Definitely seems like a bug.

I wonder if I had taken the key out if they would have shut off? I always leave
The key inside in the garage.
      11-24-2020, 05:47 AM   #26
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smthomas77 View Post
This just happened to me today for the first time (6 days since I picked up the car). I pulled into my garage the same way I do any other day. Today it must have been bit cloudier/darker than usual and I noticed the lights turned on as I pulled in the garage. When I got out I just assumed they would go off in a minute. I came back out 10 min later and they were still on.

Nothing would turn them off except turning the headlight switch to off and back to auto. I assume start/stop engine would have worked too, but didn't have to resort to that. Definitely seems like a bug.

Did you power down the car by locking it? I've come to the conclusion that to turn off most of the power you have to lock it. It's never fully "off" but locking is designed to shut down most of the electronics.
misterdom332.00
      11-24-2020, 05:50 AM   #27
thomarbau
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smthomas77 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinbad4 View Post
Now and again, I will return to my car some hours later and headlights, parking lights and tail lights. The only way it seems I can get them to go off is to get into the car, close the doors, start it and stop it. Wait a few seconds before exiting.

This has happened to me in 3 different BMW X3 M40i's.

I suspect I open door and then power off car and exit quickly. I think if I slow down, turn off car, then open doors and exit, I don't have this issue. I have had the issue less, as I try to slow my exiting down to avoid issue. I used to be a pizz driver and the quick exit and quick starts are still ingrained.

I see this as a significant design flaw. At first I thought my car had issue, but then it happened in a loaner, and continues to happen in my new M40i.

Anyone else see this issue?

When you shut the vehicle off with your foot on the brake the lights stay on. If you release the brake and then shut the vehicle off the light shut off.

Placing your foot on the brake while hitting the on/off button puts the car in "drive ready" per the owners manual. I'm not exactly sure what that means but it's the reason why your lights stay on for 60 minutes after you shut off the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2021, 12:02 PM   #28
RichC
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3 M40i

similar issue in 2022 x3 M40i

Not sure what is causing the sequence. Sometimes I go out to the garage and the rear brake lights are on and the hazard switch on the dash is illuminated. Have to lock the doors to get them to go off. My car is in a secured garage, so normally don't lock it.

Based on this thread, this type of issue has been going on for some years.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2021, 03:42 PM   #29
bvkesquire
BVKESQUIRE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 540I; 2021 X3

Car lites on

2021 540i.
Got home. Lites set on auto.
An hour later lites still on, including interior lites!!!
I will try radio fix and not turning car off with foot on brake and see if these work.
Car is in a locked garage, and I always keep my key fob in the cupholder. Why not??
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2021, 06:27 AM   #30
GS - X3
Best of Both Worlds
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3 M40i - ‘19 R1250GSA

This thread has been running for going on three years now, and it seems like the common denominator is that it only affects those folks like me that park in a secure garage. I came to the conclusion that BMW, in its infinite wisdom, wants us to lock our precious X3’s. So now I do.

Problem solved.
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2021, 02:00 PM   #31
M3X3Z3
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: X3 3.0d G01

2019 30d
I have experienced the same issue when the transmission is NOT in Park.

Placing the transmission into P causes the lights to then go off immediately.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #32
treade
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3

First time BMW (2021 X3 w all tech upgrades) owner and have to say the tech/UX design has baffled me on a lot of things. To the point where I might not buy another BMW. For instance the Bluetooth receiver is horrible yet we have useless gesture controls? Huh? I’m shocked how bad the tech is in most cars and it makes you wonder if they people designing them actually ever drive and operate their own designs in real life.

Specific Examples:

- car’s Bluetooth receiver / iDrive regularly disconnects or forgets my iPhone. I’ve owned and upgraded both an iPhone 12 & 13 Pro during car ownership and same issues recurred. I speak to BMW Genius who always advise head unit reset. Sometimes that fixes issue briefly and then it recurs.

- my wife and I often drive together and share the car, the car rarely is able to remember or connect to both of our phones in the car.

- the above mentioned lights staying on issue

- key design, trunk accidentally opening/triggered via key fob in pocket. That button should have been recessed or car should come with key case.

- rear climate control operation. It’s impossible from front seat to see what it’s set to and makes maintaining temp for kids a nightmare and even if you disable rear climate control it doesn’t seem to function fully or slave to master cabin climate. They could have easily included a rear climate screen display option in iDrive.

- no garage door opener hot keys / built-in RF option (in a luxury car I still have to have a junky garage opener hanging off my sun visor)

- Wireless charging tray heat issue (presumably they didn’t properly design heat sink) so phone often gets so hot that iOS shuts down the actual phone

…The list goes on and these are all first world problems and I’m grateful the vehicle itself is safe on the road and my family is well protected (i think!) but I’ve been shocked by the number of head scratchers related to in-car tech and both iDrive and Bluetooth integration (for use with CarPlay). In short, I don’t feel like the BMW is a great value and wish we had gone with the RAV4 or another common mid-size SUV. I’d sacrifice driving experience any day for better tech and safety functionality.
Appreciate 1
RichC117.50
      03-27-2024, 05:24 AM   #33
Hq886
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M40i 2019

27th March 2024
BMW X3 M40i 2019

I've come across this thread now that I have this issue myself. I've exhausted Google & YouTube on resolving this issue myself cause I know how much BMW service centres charge and I'm not confident they'll resolve the issue as read on past threads. After locking my car my exterior door handle lights fade by a shade or 2 but they stay on, now also my interior ambient lighting is starting to have issues, either not working or turning off mid trip while driving, such a disappointment & embarrassing! I've tried the ritual of taking my foot off of the brake before turning my car off, even resorted to going into my iDrive system and turning the functions off, I've given my iDrive system a hard reset by holding the volume/power button down for 90+ seconds even as suggested on one of the many watched YouTube videos. Has anyone got anything new or conclusions? HELP!
Appreciate 0