BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
Kalkake
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

2013 X3 Warm AC, Bad Control Valve?

Hey all,

Just picked up a 2013 X3 with a 3.0 turbo (First BMW) with 88k miles, car was very well maintained with some engine/suspension mods. Noticed on the initial test drive that the AC was Cool, but not cold. Once we got it home (hotter day) we noticed that the AC is just not keeping up. Checked High/Low side pressures and were perfect for outside temp. 85deg F outside, Low side 52psi, high side 240-245psi. Compressor is engaging and cooling fan is running. While running engine at 1k RPM middle vent temp on the dash are around 78 deg F. No significant temp difference between center and side vents drivers/pass side.

During minimal research online I noted the Heating control valve that is a common BMW issue. I have experienced this issue with other aftermarket systems as well. Remove engine cover, air box and fresh air intake tube. I can not find the actual value. As a test I did clamp the heater hose going through the firewall closed as much as I cold and vent temps lowered approx 10 deg F.

This vehicle does have upgraded intercooler, upgraded Charge and boost pipe. Not sure if I am just missing the control valve, it was moved/removed, or if I am completely misdiagnosing the issue.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2023, 12:08 PM   #2
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Have you looked at Real OEM....you might be able to discern where the heater valve is located. Link: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select Input last 7 of your car's VIN.

You may need to have Mr. A/C technician to solve this one. Good luck/Bill
Appreciate 0