BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-18-2021, 10:28 PM   #1
TCHBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

How to get air freshener smell out of my X3

Hello,

Curious if anyone in the X3 community has had this issue. I've had my X3 for a few years and have managed to keep the new car smell (or at least a clean, unintrusive smell). I let someone borrow my car today and they were nice enough to get it washed (interior and exterior). When they returned the car, I noticed an INTENSE berry smell left by those little air freshener squares left on the floor by the folks who cleaned the inside of my car. I immediately threw the squares in the garbage but now am left with this obnoxious berry smell. I've driven with the windows down and left my windows open for several hours this evening (40 degree weather) and yet I can still only smell this air freshener. I estimate the squares were in my car about 5 hours. Does anyone know how I can restore my X3's smell back to its original state?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 04:02 AM   #2
racey1979
Rep
Drives: F25 BMW X3 35D 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHBMW View Post
Hello,

Curious if anyone in the X3 community has had this issue. I've had my X3 for a few years and have managed to keep the new car smell (or at least a clean, unintrusive smell). I let someone borrow my car today and they were nice enough to get it washed (interior and exterior). When they returned the car, I noticed an INTENSE berry smell left by those little air freshener squares left on the floor by the folks who cleaned the inside of my car. I immediately threw the squares in the garbage but now am left with this obnoxious berry smell. I've driven with the windows down and left my windows open for several hours this evening (40 degree weather) and yet I can still only smell this air freshener. I estimate the squares were in my car about 5 hours. Does anyone know how I can restore my X3's smell back to its original state?
I would imagine it should go over time. If not you may need a wet extract machine to clean the mats/carpets ? A really good product is Autoglym Autofresh (if available in the US), simply spray it lightly over the fabric and it gives a nice clean unintrusive smell that you describe.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2021, 07:31 AM   #3
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Assuming these were placed on your mats, remove the mats and wash them good in a basement sink or whatever use have. I use regular laundry detergent. I assume there is a tiny bit of the material left on the mats. Hopefully they did not also spray something in our vents.
Appreciate 0