BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #67
romanonj
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post
Oh no! I use the power folding mirrors & heated seats on mine everytime! At what point did these go on yours? Did you use the heating in the seats every time?
According to the dealer, power folding mirrors stopped working because some gasket missing. So water eventually got in there and fried the motor.

Heated seats shorting elements is more of a common issues in x5, not x3.. Was Expensive to fix.. 4 hrs in labor and $1200 in parts.. And not the whole seat was replaced. Covered under cpo.

I use both almost everyday, including heated steering..
2011 e92 335is 2007 X3 122k miles 2006 e90 330i 132k miles
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #68
tsb
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Sport X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanonj View Post
According to the dealer, power folding mirrors stopped working because some gasket missing. So water eventually got in there and fried the motor.

Heated seats shorting elements is more of a common issues in x5, not x3.. Was Expensive to fix.. 4 hrs in labor and $1200 in parts.. And not the whole seat was replaced. Covered under cpo.

I use both almost everyday, including heated steering..
Ok thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 06:59 AM   #69
taz2ko0
Aw sh!t
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

About 50k miles only problem was the check engine would turn on because of a faulty TMAP sensor. Replaced the sensor myself for $60 and all is good. That was a year ago.
      04-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #70
Goosey4370
Rep
Drives: X3 30D M-Sport

X3 Issues

Have a 06 30d M-sport auto. Very occasionally engine will stall when stationary
Or at speed. Always starts again without problem. Happened tree times I'm four months.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #71
Goosey4370
Rep
Drives: X3 30D M-Sport

X3 Issues

Only one. Engine dies randomly at idle or speed. Starts immediatley afterwards. Happenedn three times in four months.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2013, 05:58 AM   #72
BonBimmerX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3

Got an '04 X3 recently with 100K KMS done...the ex owner informed me on an 0xygen sensor that needs to be replaced thats why the service engine light was on on the dashboard. Is this a major part that needs to be replaced so the ECU will not be affected? tell me more about this part? thanks see the pic of my X3..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #73
marblehead
Rep
Drives: 2008 X3 MSport Package

'08 X3 MSport

Just purchased 7 days ago, this white X3 for my wife and we both just LOVE the machine. 57,000 miles on the odometer and a car without blemish. We reside up 8,000' and therefore travel mountain roads and the Adaptive headlights are a marvel. Performance is brisk, great gas mileage for an SUV/SAV and the handling is taught and confidence inspiring. . .
And then, 5 days into ownership, it has "thrown a code," as they say. The SES has lit up though the performance is not at all affected. I've done some initial reading on this forum and there's some mention of the air intake boot wearing rapidly on these cars, so I'm going to take a look today. Haven't pulled/cleared the code yet and my lil' cheap reader isn't any good for this, so I'll take it to a local auto parts store and have them pull it. Stand by. . .
No other surprises, just great performance and value- so far!

Started my own thread but in case, folks are reviewing this one, here's the latest and I'm 80% convinced I've got a malfunctioning temperature control module, or whatever BMW calls it:
AutoZone
Troubleshooting P0597
0El4 Brand: BMW
P144B
Definition
Thermostat heater control circuit open
Explanation
0pen rr short circuit condition
Probable cause
Poor electrical connection
Failed engine cooling thermostat

If anybody has experiences similar or identical to this, I'd sure be grateful!

Last edited by marblehead; 05-05-2013 at 01:03 PM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 09:54 AM   #74
marblehead
Rep

Update on Car & Codes

Well, took the newly acquired and beloved '08 X3 to Ralph Schomp BMW in Denver and had it gone through and sure enough, a faulty HAVAC Thermostat was the primary problem for the thrown code. HOWEVER, they also performed a number of additional items including replacing a flawed/failing idler pulley, a leak diagnosis pump (whatever that is!), both under warranty. More still, I was told it was time to flush the break system and that the rear pads and rotors were worn, both of which I'm quite capable of doing myself. However, personal time constraints precluded me taking on the tasks and so I had them do it. Result? Well, it turned out that the only the pads needed replacing and NOT the rotors, actually saving me a chunk of Benjamins! I was and am VERY IMPRESSED with the quality and integrity of this service, just considering the rear brake job. They could have easily replaced those rotors, making more money for themselves, and I would have never been the wiser. That's customer service in the best of ways and I will take the car back there when/if needed. End result? About an additional $900.00 to the original cost of the car! But I'm still ahead in my book because of the sale price. Still, buyer beware! The car also came without the rear cargo area retracting cover, which I now know is a standard item! $400.00 replacement cost but we'll happily live without that item! I did buy the car "as is" but again, was told the car was put through a "70 point check" which I now believe is bogus. I may have even mentioned the debris in the air filter box, a very, very simple check that was completely omitted/overlooked by the BMW Dealer/Seller. Moreover, a simple plug-in of their own code reader would have shown these faults. One would think out of integrity that they'd at least inform the potential buyer of known issues. . .Caveat Emptor!! The dealer in question in this case? BMW of Lincoln, NE. I've e-mailed them with my moral complaints, knowing fully that I have no legal recourse and, as one might guess, have received no reply. Still, all in all, I am very, very pleased with the car and I did, in fact, purchase a VERY CLEAN car that looks new and only ended up with a few issues. Great performance, fuel economy, luxury, inspiring handling, all-wheel drive, etc. All the good stuff you all know about if you're reading this post!
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #75
iantm
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 128i Cabrio

Picked up an 05 3.0i a few weeks ago. 96k, was a lease car, then CPO. Very happy with it. Just can't get my phone to pair. Tried my iPhone, Blackberry (work issued), and my old RAZR - no dice. I followed the instructions - but my car doesn't show up as a discoverable device to any of my phones. Even tried to find it with my laptop - no dice. I know that the car has bluetooth - there is a PK on the telematics box, the car is equipped with BMW Assist as part of the Premium Package. Have tried resetting the telematics box to no avail.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #76
marblehead
Rep

I'm going to watch this post with great curiosity to read what others might have to say about your mysterious non-pairing issue! Your issue is far above my pay grade as I was merely delighted to discover the location of the Bluetooth Module in the car and retrieve the security code off of it! This, I discovered from a YouTube search and I'm wondering if perhaps the guy that posted that solution might be of some help to you?
Here's his link:

Maybe this will somehow help. . .Good luck and update when/if/how this gets resolved.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 09:49 AM   #77
sixspeedz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3 3.0i, MT

Garage List
2004 BMW X3  [10.00]
122k on my 2004 3.0 MT... I had the malfunctioning moonroof vent issue modified when i first got it, and one front strut popped a leak recently that needs to be replaced... otherwise, nothing major done so far from myself or what the service records show.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #78
Anderstud34
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 bmw x3 2.5

bought a 2005 in march 2012 with 123000km. rad fan stopped work and in early summer my coolant reservoir tank cracked. Replaced both and then quickly found out in the dead heat of summer my a/c was blowing warm air.
Had the freon charged back up in july 2012 and it worked ok (not 100%). This past weekend I turned the a/c on and go figure, hot air again. I assume there is a leak in the a/c lines (hopefully) so I will try some stop leak and a recharge to see if that works.
If that fails, I've been told next could be the compressor which I've herd is a pain and a fair bit of $$$.

Any advice on what else could be wrong?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #79
joylove
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderstud34 View Post
bought a 2005 in march 2012 with 123000km. rad fan stopped work and in early summer my coolant reservoir tank cracked. Replaced both and then quickly found out in the dead heat of summer my a/c was blowing warm air.
Had the freon charged back up in july 2012 and it worked ok (not 100%). This past weekend I turned the a/c on and go figure, hot air again. I assume there is a leak in the a/c lines (hopefully) so I will try some stop leak and a recharge to see if that works.
If that fails, I've been told next could be the compressor which I've herd is a pain and a fair bit of $$$.

Any advice on what else could be wrong?
When they topped up the AC they should have used a gas that will show up under UV light, that should help you trace any leak.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 10:16 PM   #80
chanhonam
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hey Folks,
I cant seem to create new post. I might ask people here then.
I've got a 2007 X3 M sport 60k km. Recently my wife is complaining the car's having problem, going up hill from high speed and trying to accelerate uphill, I would say she on highway 80km and slow down to merge lane to 40km and then as soon as she turn left, the car make noises and not going as it should be. but if she let go the gas and step on gas again It would go fine.

I have experienced afew time at the round about (going straight). When I drive 60km and slow down to round about (15-5Km) and making half turn as soon as pass round about and step on gas I can feel the noise and car seem like stuck on certain gear. and if I let go the peddle and step on it again it will go fine.

What would be the problem? I Hope someone here can help me identify the problem.
- The car always oil and oil filter change pretty much every year and service regularly.

THanks
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:40 AM   #81
wildman939
Rep
Drives: bmw x3

I have 2007 2.0 110kw.

Problems are dpf filter, real pain in the ass, and egr valve. You need to clean them or clean them with additives.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #82
Credelius
Rep
Drives: 335d, X3

Everything that could leak leaked in my 2005 X3 i3.0, sport edition that has 110K miles on it now:

1. Coolant: I had to replace upper and lower hoses and an extension tank, which blew up when I was driving with my family on vacation
2. Motor oil: I had to replace filter housing gasket, high pressure oil pipe, valve cover gasket, oil separator, dip stick seal, but still have a slow leak from an oil pan gasket, which I can't fix myself
3. Transmission fluid leak from a selector shaft seal, which I've recently fixed (check my post about it)
4. Even windshield fluid reservoir got leaked, but it was the easiest fix

Other than that I like my 2005 X3 more than 2010 335d, which had more serious problems.

I think, my next car won't be BMW. It's fun to drive, yes, but everything else is problematic.

PS. I've bought both BMW brand new, so no other owners have been involved.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #83
atlanticavenue
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3

Wanted to bump this up and see what other issues have cropped up as they get more miles on them.

I'm looking at buying an '08 with 120K. Anyone had issues with them at that level?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 02:54 AM   #84
EvilSideOfGood
Rep
Drives: 2007 e83 n52 11/2006 built A/T

Really high maintenance cars for sure. I bought my 2007 n52 at 140k miles 3 yrs ago. Now it has 230k, has been a PITA but i think easier to work on, compared to sedans. Little more room... since it's an SUV. I dont wanna list all the things I replaced in this car cuz it'd take hours. From t-case to radiator fan, all the fluids and maintenance items. Probably spent $4-5k on parts. Good thing is I do the work myself. If you're not mechanically inclined or rich, I'd say you're better off with honda or toyota.
Appreciate 0