BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
cybersandman
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3

Drive train Malfunction

My 2013 X3 recently experienced a drivetrain malfunction error. I see others have had this experience as well. I purchased my vehicle as a certified pre-owned model, I had just over 85,000 miles on it when this error presented.

My vehicle has been at the dealer for just over a week now. I was informed that they are replacing the timing belt and turbo. Thankfully, this work is covered under remaining warranty. I look forward to getting my nearly new X3 back soon.
      03-19-2018, 08:06 PM   #2
cybersandman
Rep

Back and running smoothly

I got my X3 back today. I am pleased to report that there are no more Drivetrain malfunction errors appearing and the high pitched whining sounds that I used to hear is no more. My vehicle is running smoothly.

The service manager said that they replaced the timing chain with updated parts, so I should not have any more issues with it. They also replaced the turbo.

I am thankful that the dealership sorted this out and got it all fixed while I remain under warranty. I was informed that the out of pocket cost for these repairs would be about $6,000.

Last edited by cybersandman; 04-09-2018 at 03:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2018, 09:23 AM   #3
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

I got the drivetrain malfunction error last weekend on my 2013 X3 35i. Took it in yesterday. Getting the repair estimates back today. I am out of warranty. Mileage is about 75k. I certainly hope this is not going to cost $6k.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2018, 08:35 PM   #4
cybersandman
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDigito View Post
I got the drivetrain malfunction error last weekend on my 2013 X3 35i. Took it in yesterday. Getting the repair estimates back today. I am out of warranty. Mileage is about 75k. I certainly hope this is not going to cost $6k.
Quote:
I wish you well. I seen several causes for this problem on the forum. Likely yours won't be the same since you have the 35i.
      03-26-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
marc x
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 stock

Quote:
Too bad not too many of you are mechanically inclined, esp out of warranty! More than likey it is just the spark plugs or coil, you should look into getting the dealer software it will tell you everything that they [deAler] will tell you
Plus more.
When I had the drivetrain malfunction on my i6, I ran the codes and it said misfire and map sensor and then this is all even though a Check Engine Light never appeared but the cars non obd computers records it and other conditions.
I replaced my plugs coils and map sensor and have never seen the code again. Also when the battery life was starting to end , the symptoms arose but didn't set and that was only because the battery controls everything in this car , water pump, fuel injection, etc!
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
SoDigito
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16%E2%80%99 X6 / 10%E2%80%99 5

I got the car back. I was told there is a fan on top of the engine that was malfunctioning and they would have to do a software update. Cost me about $300. The error has not returned thus far. I think this was a best case scenario. Got lucky here.

Thank you all for your feedback.
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2018, 12:03 AM   #7
marc x
Private
Rep

Hey I got drivetrain malfunction earlier today as I stomped the pedal to get onto the freeway my car came to drivetrain malfunction and said continue driving just do it moderately but it felt really boggy, so I got off from the freeway and parked in a parking spot at some business and just let the car idle. I opened the bonnet and can see the motor vibrating like a misfire was happening. I tried to give it some gas and there was still
That misfire effect.

So I finally shut the car off and restarted it and of course the lights went away and it was all good again even for revving . I get home and hook up my Bosch scanner and I see a there is a code on there even though I have no engine light. One code is generic hex , the other is cylinder 8 deactivation.
Mind you I have the i6 n52 na.

Now I get ITSA up and running on an old core2duo (MSI took a dump) and I scan and get this
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 05:11 PM   #8
marc x
Private
Rep

the photo didn't come out right, but the very top line reads
: DME 110008 Cylinder injection cutout:tank fill level too low

I admit I had low fuel, I think I was probably at the fuel reserve because I didn't feel like getting gas right away.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2018, 04:18 PM   #9
supreetsingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i - 2013

Hi Guys

I got my car washed bumper to bumper from someone. They did the Engine wash too.

After that and even on the day i have to pick up car , Engine Lights , Drive train malfunction with all other lights come up. They told me its because its recently washed let it dry up. I took car back home and for 3 days the problem remain the same driving without power and not starting up early in morning.

On 4th day onward the problem dint happen. But again after 2-3 weeks engine light came up with drive train malfunction. I got it checked with other mechanic , he reset the sensors.

But after a week finally they drive train malfunction light come up with other flat tire inactive and chassis stabilization lights . This time even if you start again, its not going. I had to take car back home carefully. And it stays there overnight. But in morning when i tried to start my Car, its not starting up and second its throwing some black smoke from muffler.

WHat do you guys think can be the issue.?
I have peoples choice warranty of Gold package but except High Tech Electronic coverage.
I am a little worried now.

Car kms - 125k
Fuel - Reserved.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #10
payamfor@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011

I drive a 2011 X3 2011 28i xDrive ,
I am experiencing the Driveterrein Malfunctioning error on my iDrive, with the engine shuddering, problem arose some months ago in uphill driving and now is - I took it to a european local experienced shop which shows issue in Injection # 3 in diagnosis. He changed the Injector # 3 and the issue stayed the same. He swapped different injectors (1, 2, 4, 5, 6) to the position of injector # 3 and still saw the problem. He checked all connectivity from ECU to Injections and made sure its working.
He told me he is sure its the ECU problem and most likely a hardware issue on the ECU box, but I think its very unlikely. I am skeptic to Spark Plugs, Vanos Solenoid, Air Intake sensor, or PDM.

Any thought?
I am out of warrantee and do not want to go to dealership games and spend grands for 2011 car.
Thank you!
Could you help me repair this?
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #11
x3sm
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 E93 Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by payamfor@gmail.com View Post
I drive a 2011 X3 2011 28i xDrive ,
I am experiencing the Driveterrein Malfunctioning error on my iDrive, with the engine shuddering, problem arose some months ago in uphill driving and now is - I took it to a european local experienced shop which shows issue in Injection # 3 in diagnosis. He changed the Injector # 3 and the issue stayed the same. He swapped different injectors (1, 2, 4, 5, 6) to the position of injector # 3 and still saw the problem. He checked all connectivity from ECU to Injections and made sure its working.
He told me he is sure its the ECU problem and most likely a hardware issue on the ECU box, but I think its very unlikely. I am skeptic to Spark Plugs, Vanos Solenoid, Air Intake sensor, or PDM.

Any thought?
I am out of warrantee and do not want to go to dealership games and spend grands for 2011 car.
Thank you!
Could you help me repair this?
Before moving around the injectors, try moving around the ignition coil. A bad coil will give you a misfire and bad reading from a cylinder. You can move the coil around yourself and then go to AutoZone and have them scan the car for free, if the code jumps to another cylinder change the coil.
AUDI S4: SOLD
BMW E92 335: SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #12
BMW_Amateur
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2014 FL

Way too many errors !!! BMW X3 F25 2014 FL

Hi everyone, my first post here, thought I'd create a new thread but could not do it for some reason.

The first set of errors I got after starting my X3 (F25 2014) was traction control / ABS and the parking brake error. Moved out of my parking spot in the underground parking area and got stuck at the bottom of the ramp, the car could not go up the ramp, saw the drivetrain error and the engine power reduction message. I also noticed the steering wheel had more resistance when I turned it. I then reversed into an empty parking space, drove around the garage for a minute and then was able to climb the 2 ramps and got out of the garage. The drivetrain error was gone. The check engine light was on though (not blinking), the traction control and ABS errors were on too. In about 20 minutes I reached the local BMW service, cut the engine and started it in 20-30 seconds and all errors were gone. I was actually leaving on a vacation trip with my family and the BMW service could not offer any immediate help, we decided to drive on. Next day no errors appeared and we reached our destination. I did not start the car for 6 days and on the day of departure all of the errors and the aforementioned symptoms appeared again. After cutting and starting the engine a few times and letting it run to warm up to 100 degrees Celcius the drivetrain + DTC/ABS errors were gone again and I was able to climb uphill and head back home. Check engine light was still on and after 30 min of driving I stopped, cut the engine, waited for 10 seconds, started it and the light went out. No issues on the way back home. The next day started the car, no warnings, everything worked well but I did not drive anywhere, just switched the parking position of the car. The day after got all the errors again with a few more - cannot get rid of them anymore. The biggest issue I have now is that I cannot get the car out of level (-2) of the underground parking - the drivetrain error cuts the engine power and I get stuck at the bottom of the ramp, gas pedal all the way down to no avail.

Such a bummer since I bought the car just a month ago and there are so many errors to resolve:

1. Press brake to engage gear. Attention: gear can be engaged without brake.
2. Restraint system. Function of airbags, belt tentioners and belt force limiters fault.
3. Drivetrain. Continue the jorney at a moderate speed. Full performance not available.
4. ABS / Brake System. Continue the jorney at a moderate speed. Where possible avoid hard braking.
5. Driving stabilisation. Continue the jorney at a moderate speed. Have the problem checked by Service.

+ steering wheel is stiffer to turn - no errors displayed though - but it was always getting like that when the drivetrain error was appearing.

I hope all of this could not have gone wrong all at once so based on everythingI have read on this forum so far and beyond makes me think the car battery voltage getting low (original one - was not changed since mid 2014) although I am not getting any battery errors and not spotting any signs of weak battery.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #13
DrCGDskin
Registered
Rep
Drives: x-drive28 2013 X3

Hey BMW Amateur, any updates? Ive been in similar situations recently w my 2013 x28drive X3
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 11:02 PM   #14
Princesparks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 x28i

Drivetrain malfunction, code 120308 and vacuum hole leaks

I'm new here, I recently bought a 2013 BMW X3 x28i and I had the drivetrain malfunction, I took it to the dealership and had it diagnosed, for $189, I was told the software is outdated so I had to pay $269 to update it, and then they say it had a code 120308 which said "charging pressure control, plausibility pressure too low" so I had to pay another $189 for a smoke test, then they said there's a leak on the "vacuum hose that feeds off of the vacuum pump splice to the REAR EPDW (runs from the front engine bay to the rear of the car). Now I was told it will take 9hrs of labor to replace the vacuum pipe and that will cost $1868. And the vacuum pipe is $92 as they quote even though when I googled it, it was $46. so I'm looking about $2100+. Guys please I need your suggestions. Or does anyone knows of a mechanic in So Cal ( FONTANA) area that can fix it for cheaper? Thank you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:08 AM   #15
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
this place is near you and has good reviews, but no first hand knowledge from me

https://www.gtpitstop.com/
Current: 2020 X5 x40i M-Sport, Arctic Grey Metallic / Ivory White, Executive Package, Luggage Compartment Package, Integral Active Steering, Tow Package, Parking Assist Package, Driving Assist Package, M-Sport brakes, Tux Mats
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:26 AM   #16
Princesparks
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 x28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by najnad View Post
this place is near you and has good reviews, but no first hand knowledge from me

https://www.gtpitstop.com/
Thank you very much. I will check them out
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #17
jshin130
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 M SPORT

I've had the drive terrain error come up 4 times this past year.
I took it to the dealer, it was the vanos and timing change.
A common issue for this F25 model.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #18
zhenggm2012
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I have a 2013 BMW X3 and have a same issue as posted. When I first met with "drive train malfunction", I went to the dealership and was told they needed to replace the turbo. It cost $3000+. Not sure if it was necessary to replace it, can I still drive my car without repairing this issue? I do not want to spend too much money on it. Thanks for any suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2020, 01:10 PM   #19
383vett
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2012 X3 Xdrive35

2012X3 35i. Happened to my car when the charge pipe started separating from the throttle body. Went away as soon as it was refastened.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:42 AM   #20
perecarl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

I'm experiencing a similar problem with my 2014 F25. I can drive while idling but when I press the gas pedal it seems like the parking brake engages and stops the car immediately. All BMW shops are telling me to "just bring it in". I don't think we can expect any good customer service anymore. Going to try a reset to see if that works
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 09:48 AM   #21
perecarl
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

Parking brake malfunction

I have a 2014 X3 F25. while idling the car will coast forward to about 5mph. If I press the gas pedal the parking brake engages and warning light are displayed to drive slowly and that stabilization is not engaged. This cant be an isolated problem.

I replaced the brakes about a year ago. The battery was replaced about 2 months ago.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2021, 10:06 AM   #22
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by perecarl View Post
I'm experiencing a similar problem with my 2014 F25. I can drive while idling but when I press the gas pedal it seems like the parking brake engages and stops the car immediately. All BMW shops are telling me to "just bring it in". I don't think we can expect any good customer service anymore. Going to try a reset to see if that works
Welcome to the forum...

So you contact BMW shops about a problem and they say to "bring it in" and you don't think that's good customer service?
What, do you expect them to diagnose the problem over the phone?
Have you used a proper scanner to check for error codes(s)?
Exactly what are you going to reset?
Appreciate 0