BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #1
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 x28i

Oil Level Sensor Problems on '13 X3 28i?

I ran the oil level check on our fully warmed up 2013 X3 28i with 8,700 miles. Yes, it was on a level garage floor. The display showed the level to be about 1/8 above the min. (I had changed the oil at 5,000 miles, and the display was exactly at max.)

So I added 1/2 quart of oil, and another check of oil level showed it exactly the same. So I added the remaining oil (now total of 1 quart) , and the display still did not change.

I called the dealer, who said don't worry about anything unless the low oil level warning comes on, but I'm bringing it in anyway.

I think the display should always measure the correct level, and it should have moved up when I added the quart. I've run the oil check several times, and nothing changes.

Has anyone else seen this problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp
I ran the oil level check on our fully warmed up 2013 X3 28i with 8,700 miles. Yes, it was on a level garage floor. The display showed the level to be about 1/8 above the min. (I had changed the oil at 5,000 miles, and the display was exactly at max.)

So I added 1/2 quart of oil, and another check of oil level showed it exactly the same. So I added the remaining oil (now total of 1 quart) , and the display still did not change.

I called the dealer, who said don't worry about anything unless the low oil level warning comes on, but I'm bringing it in anyway.

I think the display should always measure the correct level, and it should have moved up when I added the quart. I've run the oil check several times, and nothing changes.

Yes, the oil level won't update on some BMW vehicles until after the next cycle. One cycle requires a complete cool down of the engine.

This can be avoided by following best practices for refilling oil:

1. ONLY Measure oil on your way home from work. Each detent on the display is equal to 1/4 quart. The max detent on the idrive display should always remain dark. All other detents should be green when properly filled. If you wait until "oil below minimum" message, then you can dump in a full quart. Otherwise, you will need to be careful and add a partial quart based on the number of dark detents on the display.
2. Refill oil in the morning, before you start the engine based on the calculus from your readings the night before.
3. The idrive system will properly show the added oil on your way to work, etc.
4. By following the above steps you will not face any synchronization issues.
5. In general, pouring a cold liquid into a case of hot liquid is never a good idea unless you are in an emergency---so always fill the oil when the engine is cold.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Yes, the oil level won't update on some BMW vehicles until after the next cycle. One cycle requires a complete cool down of the engine.

1. ONLY Measure oil on your way home from work. Each detent on the display is equal to 1/4 quart. The max detent on the idrive display should always remain dark. All other detents should be green when properly filled. If you wait until "oil below minimum" message, then you can dump in a full quart. Otherwise, you will need to be careful and add a partial quart based on the number of dark detents on the display.
2. Refill oil in the morning, before you start the engine based on the calculus from your readings the night before.
5. In general, pouring a cold liquid into a case of hot liquid is never a good idea unless you are in an emergency---so always fill the oil when the engine is cold.
Everything you have said is wrong:

1. There are no "detents" on my '13 X3 oil level display. There are two marks, indicating min and max. And the manual does not say if it's a Min, then 1 quart will bring the level to Max.

2. How could adding oil only in the morning does not make any difference? You just unscrew the oil cap and add the oil - as long as the cap is not too hot to handle.

3. As long as the engine is running and warmed up and you're reasonably level, the oil level sensor will detect the level if it's not broken.

4. I'm not sure what synchronization is needed.

5. "Always fill the oil when the engine is cold" What??? We're not talking significant differences in temperatures.

Here's my experience with the oil level sensor: At about 3500 miles the oil level display was half way between min and max. I turned off the engine, added 1/2 quart, started the engine and ran the level check again, and the display showed Max. I didn't wait for an overnight cold cycle, I added oil to a hot engine, and ran the check again. But now the oil level has not changed even after adding 1 quart - I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp
Quote:

Everything you have said is wrong:

1. There are no "detents" on my '13 X3 oil level display. There are two marks, indicating min and max. And the manual does not say if it's a Min, then 1 quart will bring the level to Max.

2. How could adding oil only in the morning does not make any difference? You just unscrew the oil cap and add the oil - as long as the cap is not too hot to handle.

3. As long as the engine is running and warmed up and you're reasonably level, the oil level sensor will detect the level if it's not broken.

4. I'm not sure what synchronization is needed.

5. "Always fill the oil when the engine is cold" What??? We're not talking significant differences in temperatures.

Here's my experience with the oil level sensor: At about 3500 miles the oil level display was half way between min and max. I turned off the engine, added 1/2 quart, started the engine and ran the level check again, and the display showed Max. I didn't wait for an overnight cold cycle, I added oil to a hot engine, and ran the check again. But now the oil level has not changed even after adding 1 quart - I was wondering if anyone else has seen this problem.

With all respect, you must be a real pita of a customer.

First, assuming you have the idrive display, there is a min and a max line. However, typically, there is a graph that is represented by about a series of six green/gray boxes. Each box is what I refer to as a "detent."

I have seen this very same defect on multiple BMWs. The oil level does not reflect the actual amount immediately after topping off. It is what it is. In general, the next time you start your engine, the reading reflects the amount of oil you added.

Next, I said "best practice." I said it was the best practice to top off the oil when the engine is cold. This does not mean the only way.

Anytime you dump a quart of cold oil into a hot engine you are adding a slight stress that should be avoided. Sure, the engine can handle it. But, given the choice for a routine top off, i say it is better to dump the oil in when the engine is cold.

Finally, synchronization is an issue. If you dump oil into your car, but the idrive does not reflect the oil as being added, then you have an increased probability to overfill.

Again, I am not wrong about that.

I do find it amusing that you solicit help on this board. And then when I reply with a good faith response, you harshly criticize me for having everything all wrong.

Ugh, you must be such a pleasure to work with. I feel bad for your coworkers. You must be so hard to deal with.

Worse, I acknowledge seeing this problem and I provided you with a solution that you promptly dismissed.

Just measure the oil the night before and fill the oil in the morning. Then you won't see this issue. Nuff said.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #5
CR600
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3

Same issue - I have a 2013 28i and had my oil changed by the dealer at my cost around 7000 miles. After driving for about 200 miles, the low oil warning came on and the system showed it was at the minimum. The dealer added a quart and it then showed about 20% above the minimum line. They added a second quart and it still showed only 20% above minimum so 80% below maximum level.

2000 miles later and it still reads 20% above the minimum line.

My concern is that it may have been low OR the sensor may be bad and I have two quarts too much!

I'll find out in about 3000 miles when my first scheduled oil change is completed.

The dealer took me not to worry, but I wonder if any long term damage can occur if you are over by two quarts of oil for 5000 miles.

WRP, Keep us updated on what you find out.

FYI - BMWRules7 is completely wrong as stated by WRP! Nuff said correctly.
........and my co-workers and Dealer LOVE me!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #6
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

CR600: You certainly waited more than one cycle described in the previous post by BMWrules7. Strange. Let us know what they find.
      02-25-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR600 View Post
Same issue - I have a 2013 28i and had my oil changed by the dealer at my cost around 7000 miles. After driving for about 200 miles, the low oil warning came on and the system showed it was at the minimum. The dealer added a quart and it then showed about 20% above the minimum line. They added a second quart and it still showed only 20% above minimum so 80% below maximum level.

2000 miles later and it still reads 20% above the minimum line.

My concern is that it may have been low OR the sensor may be bad and I have two quarts too much!

I'll find out in about 3000 miles when my first scheduled oil change is completed.

The dealer took me not to worry, but I wonder if any long term damage can occur if you are over by two quarts of oil for 5000 miles.

WRP, Keep us updated on what you find out.

FYI - BMWRules7 is completely wrong as stated by WRP! Nuff said correctly.
........and my co-workers and Dealer LOVE me!
I believe no long term damage can happen from overfilling. What should typically happen is, if overfilled enough, you blow a seal somewhere and get a leak. That should happen fairly shortly after the overfill assuming certain things.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep

The report from the dealer's service dept. simply says "Corrected engine oil level, performed oil level measurement via I-drive, correct oil level displayed", and zero hours were charged. The Service Advisor said they added 1/2 quart, and the oil level is now at Max, which I confirmed when I got home.

It seems the difference between the Min level and the Max level is not 1 quart, since a total of 1.5 quarts were added.

I also looked into how the oil sensor works - it's a capacitor where the dielectric is the engine oil (or the impedance changes with the oil level), and the sensor applies an RF signal to measure this impedance. This is far from accurate - moisture content in the water can easily affect the reading. But there's enough extra capacity in the oil pan so there should not be problems.

So, contrary to other writings on this thread, you don't need to wait for an engine to cold cycle to get a correct reading, and it's OK to add oil to a hot engine.

And the service report also says they "loaded 2013 NAV map data".
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:23 PM   #9
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp
The report from the dealer's service dept. simply says "Corrected engine oil level, performed oil level measurement via I-drive, correct oil level displayed", and zero hours were charged. The Service Advisor said they added 1/2 quart, and the oil level is now at Max, which I confirmed when I got home.

It seems the difference between the Min level and the Max level is not 1 quart, since a total of 1.5 quarts were added.

I also looked into how the oil sensor works - it's a capacitor where the dielectric is the engine oil (or the impedance changes with the oil level), and the sensor applies an RF signal to measure this impedance. This is far from accurate - moisture content in the water can easily affect the reading. But there's enough extra capacity in the oil pan so there should not be problems.

So, contrary to other writings on this thread, you don't need to wait for an engine to cold cycle to get a correct reading, and it's OK to add oil to a hot engine.

And the service report also says they "loaded 2013 NAV map data".
Look, I said the issue that I reported happens on some BMW engines.

You specifically solicited our members to come forward with any ideas that might explain your situation.

In turn, I said "yes" I have seen this before on some BMW engines. I did not say this was your precise problem. How does your determination that the cause is something different somehow disqualify my point that I have seen this issue on some BMW engines.

Plus, if the system works as you described, them you would want the dielectric material to be of a consistent quality---that includes the same temperature---so as to get the most accurate reading from BMW's monitoring system that you admit is crappy.

So, my saying to wait until the engine is cold will clearly give you a better reading---if the system works as you described---this way the dielectric materiel (oil) will come up to temperature evenly in due course.

It is not necessary to apologize. We all jump to conclusions sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 12:35 AM   #10
Poohbore
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: Mineral White F31 xDrive

Stupid question from a newbie - don't the cars have a normal oil dipstick as well ?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 06:31 AM   #11
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbore View Post
Stupid question from a newbie - don't the cars have a normal oil dipstick as well ?
Nope At least not in the U.S and Canada.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 03:24 PM   #12
wrp
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, my saying to wait until the engine is cold will clearly give you a better reading---if the system works as you described---this way the dielectric materiel (oil) will come up to temperature evenly in due course.
The I-Drive will not let you check the oil when the engine is cold. It says to try again after the engine is warm.

All of the points you made are wrong - I'm saying this so that if anyone reads this later they will not be confused.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #13
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp
Quote:
The I-Drive will not let you check the oil when the engine is cold, but that does not change the fact I am a dork. It says to try again after the engine is warm.

All of the points you made are correct - I'm saying this because i am a dork so that if anyone reads this later they will not be confused.

No. That's not my point and you know it. I said it will come up to temperature in due course. My point was that you should wait until the engine was cold before adding oil.

Next, you said that it makes no difference if the engine is hot or cold when you add oil.

But, then you retreated when you discovered that the oil sensor uses a capacitor that bases its readings on the dielectric (oil in this case). Thus, you would want the dielectric material to be of a consistent temperature. You agreed that the system was not accurate and it certainly would be less accurate if you add cold oil to a hot engine.

Anyway, it is not necessary for you to interpret others' posts. The people on this board are plenty smart without you help.

Nice try, though.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
BMWalopez01
Experienced
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xiT

Garage List
2006 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrp View Post

I have the same problem, it started after the first Oil change. The dealer has already reprogram the computer twise, replace the sensor and reprogram the computer without success. On the last service they kept the car for 4 days with an outcome of cannot be fixed at this time. So far my X3 has been at the dealership for more than 7 times on different problems 2 of them cannot be fixed at this time.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #15
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Perhaps a visit to another dealer is in order??
      04-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #16
BMWalopez01
Experienced
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325xiT

Garage List
2006 E91  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buze View Post
Perhaps a visit to another dealer is in order??
As per the dealer, the area engineer work on the car himself and the recomentation was to return the car to the client with a note that there are no fix for this problem at this time. The reading is wrong but the oil level in the engine is correct.There were no leaks found and the reading always showed the same low level (1/3 from min). It seems to be a software problem with the graphics refresh in the computer.
Appreciate 0