BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2013, 02:37 PM   #1
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Exhaust visibility (diesel only?)

I was following an X3 earlier today, and all I could see was a very, VERY visible exhaust body under the back if the car. Tin colored...
I'm not speaking of the exhaust pipe here, I'm speaking of the main body (?) visible transversally across the back left of the car..

When I look at BMW website (the "360" view) it's not visible, not it is visible in other pictures I've seen. On most, you can see the exhaust, but it's somehow dark in color (see picture bellow)

So, what gives? Is it something I need to check with the garage before taking delivery? I personally think it looked butt ugly...

01-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

That's the xLine silver trim package
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

If you mean the silencer box itself, does it matter? It will soon get tarnished and dirty anyway, and be less visible.

Can't see anything wrong, it is a SUV after all... jacked up and more is visible.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
drulek
Poland
Rep
Drives: X3 F25

buze,

I can confirm - the rear silencer is very visible and ugly....
I do not like how it looks...
I noticed that when car was delivered.
Mine is 20d M Package 2012

Last edited by drulek; 02-01-2013 at 10:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Chris111
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i Msport

I have a 20d too and can only see the silencer if I get down on the floor! Maybe yours isn't fitted properly. The photo above doesn't show the silencer at all. It shows the titanium stick-on trim on the bumper from the optional x Line pack.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
buze
Owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G05 30d M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris111 View Post
I have a 20d too and can only see the silencer if I get down on the floor! Maybe yours isn't fitted properly. The photo above doesn't show the silencer at all. It shows the titanium stick-on trim on the bumper from the optional x Line pack.
Actually you can clearly see it, but in that picture it's not tin colored, it's dark colored. Most other pictures I've seen are like that. thats why I was surprised to see it so clearly on that X3 I was following (from a reasonable distance, on flat motorway)

I HOPE it does 'burn in' and get darker with age, I don't know any other car where you can see the whole silencer like that! It's really borderline misselling, as the pictures on bmw website all have a conveniently "dark" silencer.
      02-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
calagod
Green Light
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11/11 X3 20d MPack Carbonblack

..it is clear to see on mine X3 20d with M Package (2012) if you behind the car in 4-5 m distance. I do not like it either but I get use to it. First I thought about to tint it in black,
but in the end I let it in in original shape. I do not have the impression that it changed it's originally colour very much during the first 40 tsd KM.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
am36
Squadron Leader
England
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d M Sport - DSB Manual

I do not believe that this is exclusive to diesel models only as you can see the silencer box clearly on some of the photo's of the US spec cars as well.

As some have said though, you have to be pretty low down to see it. I've just checked mine and I had to bend double to see it.

Mine is still nice and shiny!
- F25 2.0d M Sport manual, DSB, black leather with fineline wave wood, Pan Sunroof, 368 M alloys, exterior trim and rails in matt aluminium, reversing camera, sun protection glass, windscreen with grey shade band, heated front seats, extended storage, powered tailgate, Xenon's, bluetooth c/w USB, DAB.
Appreciate 0