BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #23
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

I suppose it could be disconcerting... but the x3 does that too.

Check this video at 20secs. watch the front wheel of the white x3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk View Post
from consumer reports, re the evoque: "... [it] momentarily- but repeatedly- lifted a wheel in our avoidance maneuver. That is disconcerting and reduces driver confidence during emergency maneuvers."

Last edited by lbjgh; 02-18-2012 at 05:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
jk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 x3 35i

the cr review never states that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the x3 to lift a wheel under any conditions whatsoever. it merely says that under its own testing conditions, the evoque lifts a wheel - "repeatedly" -and the x3 doesn't, ever. the only compact luxury cuv rated lower than the evoque was another rr. the highest rating went to the q5, but the q5 wasn't recommended because of its expected dismal reliability. the x3 scored second, a couple of points below the q5, but is indeed recommended by cr, fwiw.

Last edited by jk; 02-18-2012 at 05:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:00 PM   #25
x3heh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

FWIF the reliability is predicted. Nobody knows how it will really go for the X3. I hope they're right though
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 07:00 AM   #26
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Check this video at 20secs. watch the front wheel of the white x3
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but this is the video that started me wanting the X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #27
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Likely none of us would drive 'our' X3 that way but it's good to know this suv/sav can hold it's own in the corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevils View Post
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but this is the video that started me wanting the X3.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 05:45 PM   #28
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I've had mine on the track. It has the sports suspension though and performance control so it sits very flat. I would speculate the car in the video is a model with the standard suspension and none of the higher tech driving aids we can add to the X3

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #29
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 35d MSport & 135i

I think think this forum is truly fantastic and I take my hat off to all those who make it what it is (And a nod of appreciation to those valued members no longer with us)

What has surprised me is when searching the interverse how little actually jumps out to help inform people on their own journey.

With this in mind, and by way of trying to pass the time till I take delivery, I have decided to start a blog to chronical my car buying journey ... and hopefully surface some of the useful or interesting information I would have liked to see when making my purchase decision ...

Let me know what you think, and what you would like to see on it ...

http://x3orevoque.co.uk/

It's a work in progress, and I aim to collate all the really interesting things I have found when trawling through this forum and stuff.

Last edited by Horsey; 03-07-2012 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 04:33 PM   #30
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Brilliant, thank you, a very informative and enjoyable read
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:18 AM   #31
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Horsey - looks a great package - we went thro the same hoops but it came down it the BMW scored better in every area. The dealer (OCEAN) really helped as we test drove the X,X3 & X5 over a few weekends before deciding.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #32
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Out of interest, has anyone compared the sound systems in the Evoque and the X3.

When I drove the Evoque, it had the top end sound system option, which the sales associate reviled in showing me ... and it was rich sounding and enveloping.

When I test drove the X3, I think it had the basic sound system … and I wasn’t really impressed … it seemed rather flat/localised, I had to adjust the fade towards the read just to get it more in the centre of the car.

… I wonder if maybe the professional sound option on the X3 “fills” the car more.

Anyone with experiences of the X3 sound options … compared to the high end Evoque option?

Edit: And yes, I have read the forum posts on speakers ... and while I think I am reading that with the exception of after market, the professional speakers are worth it ... there is no real comparison between the two BMW variants ... and certainly I have never heard the Pros ...

Last edited by Horsey; 03-08-2012 at 11:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #33
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Horsey,

I own a base 28i...I love my car but after owning it for 5 months there are few annoyances that you need to compare with Evoque. I agree about the sportiness, handling, acceleration, braking are best in X3...but you are not gonna do track day or drive only in winding roads daily. 90% of the time it will be for personal commute to work or short weekend trip or going for local shopping or stuck in the stop light/traffic since you are in UK. You should compare the basic comfortness of the cars too and you can just put a 1% consideration on these factors...

the following may not be considered as an issues for most of the people...but I am telling my personal views.

1. [HIGH] Sound Insulation is very bad in X3, you can hear all kinds of outdoor sounds...including road noise, wind noise, traffic, even the tire noise from cars in other lane if the road is wet. Worst thing is if you stuck in a traffic next to a big truck...you will feel like ur window is not closed fully.

2. [Medium HIGH] If you doesn't care about external noises...then X3 has some funny inside noises too...mostly from the center consoles...you will hear lot of "clucking" sound...sounds as if a plastic is broken or cracked. It comes more frequently, like once in every 5-6 mins of driving. I thought it was only in my car...but it's common in 3 series and 5 series too.

Next is the infamous "Cricket" chirping sound...it comes even if ur car is fully off...comes from ECU cooling fan...i don't know if there is fix or a recall for this. This is predominant in X5's now transferred to X3's.

3. [LOW] Lastly is the high speed stability...I am not sure if it's a aerodynamics issue or chassis...once you cross 80mph it doesn't feel confident (You will know what I mean if you have driven a X5, Range Rover, Q7 or Cayenne at 80mph...that Autobahn inspired high speed stability.).

You can feel the electronics working hard to keep the chassis in straight line, like someone pushing car from the either sides. May be it's the wind speed...but it happening to me always.

I definitely know that no one in this forum will agree to my opinion...but I am trying to be unbiased.

The above mentioned points cannot be noticed with just a test drive...you will come to know once you start driving it daily.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu
Warning: array_combine() [function.array-combine]: Both parameters should have at least 1 element in [path]/bpmobile/includes/functions_read.php on line 104Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in [path]/bpmobile/includes/functions_read.php on line 106Horsey,

I own a base 28i...I love my car but after owning it for 5 months there are few annoyances that you need to compare with Evoque. I agree about the sportiness, handling, acceleration, braking are best in X3...but you are not gonna do track day or drive only in winding roads daily. 90% of the time it will be for personal commute to work or short weekend trip or going for local shopping or stuck in the stop light/traffic since you are in UK. You should compare the basic comfortness of the cars too and you can just put a 1% consideration on these factors...

the following may not be considered as an issues for most of the people...but I am telling my personal views.

1. [HIGH] Sound Insulation is very bad in X3, you can hear all kinds of outdoor sounds...including road noise, wind noise, traffic, even the tire noise from cars in other lane if the road is wet. Worst thing is if you stuck in a traffic next to a big truck...you will feel like ur window is not closed fully.

2. [Medium HIGH] If you doesn't care about external noises...then X3 has some funny inside noises too...mostly from the center consoles...you will hear lot of "clucking" sound...sounds as if a plastic is broken or cracked. It comes more frequently, like once in every 5-6 mins of driving. I thought it was only in my car...but it's common in 3 series and 5 series too.

Next is the infamous "Cricket" chirping sound...it comes even if ur car is fully off...comes from ECU cooling fan...i don't know if there is fix or a recall for this. This is predominant in X5's now transferred to X3's.

3. [LOW] Lastly is the high speed stability...I am not sure if it's a aerodynamics issue or chassis...once you cross 80mph it doesn't feel confident (You will know what I mean if you have driven a X5, Range Rover, Q7 or Cayenne at 80mph...that Autobahn inspired high speed stability.).

You can feel the electronics working hard to keep the chassis in straight line, like someone pushing car from the either sides. May be it's the wind speed...but it happening to me always.

I definitely know that no one in this forum will agree to my opinion...but I am trying to be unbiased.

The above mentioned points cannot be noticed with just a test drive...you will come to know once you start driving it daily.
None of these issues on mine, that I've noticed.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2012, 06:49 PM   #35
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I agree Sivakumarbalu, #1 is definitly very annoying and even embarrasing at times when you're driving others because a $50k car shouldn't have sound insulation issues. I've been debating if I should go back to the dealership and get it fixed but seeing posts from other members who had their door seals replaced it either had no effect or ran the risk of having the service dept do a bad job and cause other problems.

As for the cricket sound it doesn't seem to be only be limited to X3s and X5s, my two previous cars were MB and they both had that sound when the car is turned off.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:11 AM   #36
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
Horsey,

I have 1. for sure, as have all of the several X3s tested by myself, my dealer and BMW regional. Indeed my car subjectively was the quietest, some people are putting up with really bad noise or simply not noticing it.

I have a little of 2., pressing buttons makes the console creak 30% of the time and it creaks as in the interior warms up. I'm guessing it guessing it just needs some damping material behind the plastic.
      03-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #37
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

#1 I have it and hate it , and I agree that it is even embarassing.

#2 I have the clunk one in every two times I press the mute/volume button. It's typical for all X3s I guess. I also have a persistent sunroof rattle.

#3 I usually drive at speeds over 80 mph on the highway, and think it is one of the best in its class in terms of highway stability. It even provokes me to go faster but increased level of the wind noise drives me so crazy, I give up immediately. X5, Q7 and similar are higher class SUVs, and still I doubt they can beat X3 for cornering abilities, especially the Range Rover.

Having said the negative words for X3 re the insulation and stuff, there is no evidence that the Evoque will not show such weaknesses. The car is very new to the market. Let's wait and see how they do in real life and road conditons.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #38
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just found a couple of reviews from Fifth Gear ...

They prefered the Evoque ...

X3
Evoque
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Found this interesting comparison of an X3 35i and RR Evoque ...

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...er-evoque.html
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Wow, good find on the comparo. The X3 ($53k) pretty much owned the RR ($60k). And this owning occured on an X3 with all season mud and snow RFTs compared grippy summer sport tires on the RR.

Some interesting numbers are recorded for inside DB levels (I know there are lots of complaints about the X3 interior noise levels)

RR:

Db @ Idle: 43.8
Db @ Full Throttle: 73.4
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64.1

X3:

Db @ Idle: 41.6
Db @ Full Throttle: 73.7
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64.7

When you look at these numebrs the X3 is much quieter at idle and pretty much even at 70 mph.

Not even worth mentioning performance numbers because the X3 is in an entirely different league when it comes to on road skills. there really is no comparison.

Also, I saw an Evoque driving around town recently and their daytime running LEDs are ugly. There are probably 3 different patterns of LEDs going on in each head light. It's a little too busy for my tastes.

Last edited by n55x3; 03-30-2012 at 07:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 10:16 AM   #41
JoeyO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: silver car

For a $60k vehicle, the Evoque is slow at 0-60 in 7.4 secs.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #42
roundtree
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 F25 28i SB

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [10.00]
2012 BMW X3  [10.00]
One of my neighbors bought the Evoque instead of the X3, so I've had numerous occasions to look at it closely. I can't see what all the fuss is about, outside the weird look of the chassis. Some people may like that, but give me elegant over hip.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 01:40 PM   #43
Horsey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundtree View Post
One of my neighbors bought the Evoque instead of the X3
Can you ask them what influenced their decison ... would be really interested to know.

... oh yes, and its it curable?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #44
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Wow, good find on the comparo. The X3 ($53k) pretty much owned the RR ($60k). And this owning occured on an X3 with all season mud and snow RFTs compared grippy summer sport tires on the RR.

Some interesting numbers are recorded for inside DB levels (I know there are lots of complaints about the X3 interior noise levels)

RR:

Db @ Idle: 43.8
Db @ Full Throttle: 73.4
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64.1

X3:

Db @ Idle: 41.6
Db @ Full Throttle: 73.7
Db @ 70 mph Cruise: 64.7

When you look at these numebrs the X3 is much quieter at idle and pretty much even at 70 mph.

Not even worth mentioning performance numbers because the X3 is in an entirely different league when it comes to on road skills. there really is no comparison.

Also, I saw an Evoque driving around town recently and their daytime running LEDs are ugly. There are probably 3 different patterns of LEDs going on in each head light. It's a little too busy for my tastes.
Remember from your physics day, because decibels dB is on a logrithmic scale, every 3 dB the sound doubles so a Evoque is nearly twice as load as an X3 at idle
Appreciate 0