BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-28-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
gschneid
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive28i

Air Filter Replacement 2011 X3

Does anyone know how to remove the plastic housing on the air filter, so a new filter can be installed? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

The X3 uses (3) different intake systems, depending on the model. The 20d and 30d both have a cylindrical "wedge" filter element on top of the engine directly under the engine cover.

Your 28i has a "multi-sided" vertical filter element in the airbox, or as BMW likes to call it, the "intake muffler". To access the filter on a 28i, you must release the (4) curved spring clips on either side of the airbox and then separate the two halves. You may have to remove the front duct tube first to be able to get enough separation to replace the element.
The part number for the 28i element is: 13717601868
It's No. 2 in the drawing below. The spring clips are near the No. 7 in the illustration

On the 35i the filter element is horizontal and is also in a remote airbox, but on the 35i BMW calls it the "suction silencer".
The 35i element is number: 13717571355

On both the 20d and 30d, the element is directly below the large engine cover, right on top of the engine.
Both the 20d and 30d use the same wedge filter
The part number is: 13717811026

Why are you considering changing the filter element yourself? If it's become clogged with dust or dirt, it should be covered under your Canadian warrantee. I'm sure that you're aware that installing an oiled metal/fabric mesh filter like a K & N will void your warantee.

If you do change it yourself, be very careful to avoid getting any of the dust/dirt/debris from the front half of the airbox into the rear (post filter) part of the airbox.
Attached Images

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-28-2011 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
gschneid
Registered
Rep

Thank-you Lotus7. Your explanation is outstanding. I was thinking of replacing the stock filter with a K&N replacement, but will now reconsider.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #4
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschneid View Post
Thank-you Lotus7. Your explanation is outstanding. I was thinking of replacing the stock filter with a K&N replacement, but will now reconsider.
Do not put a K&N into any current BMW.
      08-29-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
XRP
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3

why???
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

In looking at my rig this weekend, I suspect if you unclip all four latches, the front part lifts up. I noticed the front part of the housing (air intake side) hasn't a latch to the air hose coming from the radiator area. The back side does have hose clamps. Also, the whole housing isn't bolted down, so you can slighly lift the whoe thing unlike the housing on the E83.

The lower clip on the lower right looks like a b(*## to get to.

I have never seen where putting a non OEM filter would void your warranty. I'd like to see where this is documented!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Here is some general guidelines found on the internet. My last two new cars had K&N air from the start with no warranty problems.

The same is true for aftermarket auto parts. If you install an aftermarket auto part and another component of your car breaks down, the dealer has to prove that that aftermarket part was responsible for the original parts' malfunction before it can void your warranty. Bear in mind, however, that if the aftermarket auto part breaks down in your car, your warranty will not cover it.

Regardless of federal statutes, if the warranty states clearly and conspicuously what terms will void a warranty, the warranty will still be voided if those terms are fulfilled. This means if your warranty explicitly forbids aftermarket parts installation or cosmetic changes, then any actions that fall under those categories can void the warranty. Some states have additional statutes that protect consumers.

Read more: http://www.automotive.com/new-cars/1...#ixzz1WRIsWVT6

Last edited by Radioactive; 08-29-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

My wording probably should have been something like "Use of a K & N filter may result in denial of warrantee service."

Under the the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" a dealer or manufacturer can not deny warrantee service just because of the installation of an aftermarket part. They are obligated to prove that the part caused or contributed to the need for warrantee service. However, in practice almost all dealers will use the installation of any parts that have anything to do with a component failure or wear item to deny the claim.

That has led to the SEMA Consumer's "Bill of Rights" which SEMA has tried (unsuccessfully) to get adopted by manufacturers.

If you have access to LexisNexis, just do a search for "Denial of automotive warrantee/Aftermarket parts". In most cases the court's decision goes to the the auto manufacturer. Although the burden of proof (proving the part contributed to the need for warrantee service) is on the manufacturer, in most cases they can raise enough issues that the plantiff will not receive a favorable decision. Certainly in the case of K & N filters which do not meet BMW's OEM design criteria, any engine damage or internal issues will be blamed on use of the filter. Using a aftermarket filter of the same design [as the oem part] (pleated filterpaper) is an entirely different situation than going to a fundamentally different type of component.

If it comes down to a civil court challenge of you against BMW's Corporate Legal Division, you'd better have deep pockets for your legal fees. Oftentimes being "right" doesn't carry much weight in the courts.

It can be difficult enough to get good warrantee service on a BMW that has only stock OEM parts.

Last edited by Lotus7; 08-29-2011 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 02:58 PM   #9
gschneid
Registered
Rep

To reach the lower right side clip, there is a cutout in the plastic fender cover (forward of the air filter box) that you can stick your fingers into, to close the right side clip.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #10
walendvay
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 F25 28i; '13 E84 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschneid View Post
To reach the lower right side clip, there is a cutout in the plastic fender cover (forward of the air filter box) that you can stick your fingers into, to close the right side clip.
Awesome! thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #11
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

IMHO The performance increase with a K & N filter is not that great, compared to the hassle it could bring.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2011, 09:11 PM   #12
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport

I put that air filter in my car when I have 1000 miles in my car, now I have 3000 and no problems.
      08-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETT E92-FX25 35i View Post
I put that air filter in my car when I have 1000 miles in my car, now I have 3000 and no problems.
The problems with K & N's are that when freshly cleaned and lightly oiled (when they flow well) they admit small dust particles that will increase cylinder bore and ring wear. They really don't become effective filters until they load up with some dust and dirt, and then they don't flow as well as a good paper filter.

I actually like K & N's for the RIGHT application. I use them on (2) normally aspirated race cars, and clean them every couple of months. But, I have no problems with rebuilding those (2) engines every 5 to 7K miles. Also the "warrantee" is my wallet. I don't have to argue with a manufacturer. If the rings wear faster, I'm the one paying for it. I consider the K & N's as "gravel strainers" that keep rocks out of the throttle bodies.

If you plan on trading in or returning the car on lease with only 40 or 50K miles on it, and you don't clean the filter too often, a K & N is a possible choice. Otherwise, for long term engine health, it's hard to beat a paper filter that's replaced every 20K miles.

The extra flow when they're very clean (the K & N's) may, or may not, add 1 or 2% more power at max. revs (again on a normally aspirated engine only). On turbocharged engines with normal boost regulation, they add absolutely no power, since the turbo easily compensates for even moderate input flow restriction changes.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 01:52 AM   #14
x99
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0D (F25) since 1 of April

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
The problems with K & N's are that when freshly cleaned and lightly oiled (when they flow well) they admit small dust particles that will increase cylinder bore and ring wear. They really don't become effective filters until they load up with some dust and dirt, and then they don't flow as well as a good paper filter.

I actually like K & N's for the RIGHT application. I use them on (2) normally aspirated race cars, and clean them every couple of months. But, I have no problems with rebuilding those (2) engines every 5 to 7K miles. Also the "warrantee" is my wallet. I don't have to argue with a manufacturer. If the rings wear faster, I'm the one paying for it. I consider the K & N's as "gravel strainers" that keep rocks out of the throttle bodies.

If you plan on trading in or returning the car on lease with only 40 or 50K miles on it, and you don't clean the filter too often, a K & N is a possible choice. Otherwise, for long term engine health, it's hard to beat a paper filter that's replaced every 20K miles.

The extra flow when they're very clean (the K & N's) may, or may not, add 1 or 2% more power at max. revs (again on a normally aspirated engine only). On turbocharged engines with normal boost regulation, they add absolutely no power, since the turbo easily compensates for even moderate input flow restriction changes.
= stick to BMW original filters and change them every 20K miles depending on your driving conditions
Appreciate 0