BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-09-2016, 10:52 AM   #1
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50d

Change springs from m sport to se spec

I have a 2014 M Sport 30d without VDC . What are peoples thoughts on changing all 4 springs to SE spec ones but not changing the shock absorbers in a attempt to soften the low speed ride without spoiling the handing.

I find the low too medium speed rid to stiff , its not a tyre related issue but I find the ride just to jiggley on roads that look smooth but the car thinks otherwise .

Last edited by red30xdrive; 04-09-2016 at 11:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2016, 12:04 PM   #2
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

In theory that could work, but you need to consult a suspension expert. They will need to reset the toe in and camber.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 01:40 AM   #3
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by red30xdrive
I have a 2014 M Sport 30d without VDC . What are peoples thoughts on changing all 4 springs to SE spec ones but not changing the shock absorbers in a attempt to soften the low speed ride without spoiling the handing.

I find the low too medium speed rid to stiff , its not a tyre related issue but I find the ride just to jiggley on roads that look smooth but the car thinks otherwise .
I feel your pain re the ride on sport suspension.

I found that the wheel size makes a vast difference too

What size wheels is your one on ?

It might be cheaper and easier to downsize to 18's or even 17's

Mine runs 18's with standard suspension and the ride quality is excellent

Tyre choice can make a difference too

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 12:46 PM   #4
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies so far : I am on 19" staggered wheels but they are 45 & 40 section profile . But my issue would not be helped by fitting small wheels with deep section tyres as the ride problem is not when hitting ridges or pot holes its just the car reacting to the slightest imperfection on otherwise smooth roads , But I want to retain the high speed stability at the same time which is why I was thinking to just change the springs and keep the shock absorbers ?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have you thought about non run flats? The softer sidewalls will help absorb the small undulations in the road surface and stop the M Sport jumping around
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 12:30 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Springs will - probably - not, do the trick. And you can destroy handling - go for tyres.

Probably best way to go is 18" 245/45 soft - non-RFT tyres. Compressor/slime set on Amazone.

Michelin and Contis are "stiff" - Hakkapeliitas are - normally- soft.

You might even go to all-seasons (which I hate) to get softest ride.

I am convinced X3 owners can advise you of soft tyres
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep

Interesting this as I have just been for a drive in a 640d with 20" 30 & 35 % aspect runflat tyres and even with the suspension set to sport its a vastly better ride than X3 . Wouldn't dream of getting rid of the runflat tyres as the thought of being stranded and no BMW recovery frightens me LOL
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Originally Posted by red30xdrive View Post
Interesting this as I have just been for a drive in a 640d with 20" 30 & 35 % aspect runflat tyres and even with the suspension set to sport its a vastly better ride than X3 . Wouldn't dream of getting rid of the runflat tyres as the thought of being stranded and no BMW recovery frightens me LOL
Maybe it's the increased ride height which makes the car tip more back and forth over bumps?

Regarding runflats: I changed to non-rft which completely transformed the ride quality positively. Sure, if I get a flat tire I'll be screwed. BUT then again, I luckily enough have never had a puncture in my 22years of driving. In case I do, I got a BMW mobility set (compressor and gel) for like USD150 or I'll call a tow truck, as it is included in my car insurance anyway and cheaper than ruining my suit if I have a flat on my daily commute.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #9
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrueb View Post
Maybe it's the increased ride height which makes the car tip more back and forth over bumps?

Regarding runflats: I changed to non-rft which completely transformed the ride quality positively. Sure, if I get a flat tire I'll be screwed. BUT then again, I luckily enough have never had a puncture in my 22years of driving. In case I do, I got a BMW mobility set (compressor and gel) for like USD150 or I'll call a tow truck, as it is included in my car insurance anyway and cheaper than ruining my suit if I have a flat on my daily commute.
I like your thinking. The rationale only falls over for me when my wife takes the X3 with kids and is driving on motorways during our dark winters. Having said all that she has her own car
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #10
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Bingo!

Before I'd go farting around with suspension, toe-in and camber?

I'd get rid of the god awful run-flats. Its the first thing I did with my wifes x4 (she couldn't believe the difference) and my m235 too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinewood View Post
Have you thought about non run flats? The softer sidewalls will help absorb the small undulations in the road surface and stop the M Sport jumping around
      04-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

I'm not sure how you can say it is not the tyres. That is the first place to look for changing the low speed ride, unless you change springs and dampers.

I'd suggest you try an SE model first of all, before spending anything on your X3.

My son runs the E83 X3 M-sport with 19" wheels (non run-flat on his model) and the suspension is very compliant, I expected it to be deficient. Spring rate is pretty good, wouldn't want a softer spring, or it would roll too much.

If you want to stay with run-flats, how about 18" wheels as the first move? Can you try a set before investing money?

If current wheels must stay as is, for me I'd be looking at dampers ahead of springs. Something like a Koni FSD (if they make one for your model) as the selective damping will soften the secondary ride and keep the handling sorted.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 03:22 PM   #12
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep

I think I may have given the wrong impression with the term "low speed ride" I should have just said 20 mph to 55 mph . Above this speed the ride and particularly the high speed stability are fantastic .

The stiff side walls of run flats has virtually no effect at these speeds and changing to 50% aspect ratio from the current 45% will have little if any effect . As HighlandPete points out his sons SE on 19" wheels has a good ride .

Might be a case of get SE springs and get the Koni shock absorbers as one kit , alternately might just sell the car and get one with variable dampers which is what I should have done in the first place LOL or is there a conversion lit to variable dampers ?

Regards

Last edited by red30xdrive; 04-18-2016 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 04:19 PM   #13
Crassus
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 19' G20 X3 20i & 19' M140i

I think changing the springs will make a difference. My previous car was an F30 3-series and before that a 1998 Toyota Celica. Out of all three, the X3 is the firmest even if it has slightly more tyre profile than the F30 I had on 18 inch rims.

The X3 is undeniably a sporty SUV. It's fun to drive enthusiastically but over potholes it's not the most graceful of cars. I can only imagine how firm it is with M-Sport suspension! My rims are 19 inches but I don't believe 18 inches would make a big difference as the springs are stiff and don't rebound enough over surfaces you would like it too.

My Toyota Celica was amazingly setup. Body roll was minimal but the absolutely shined when driven fast over speed bumps or pothole. The suspension rebounded just the right amount without the car feeling like a boat or the car getting out of shape.

To address your issue. I don't think non-RFT are your silver bullet. Investigate the costs of changing springs and possibly even the shocks. If it will be more than £2,500, it could be cheaper to simply change car.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 03:55 AM   #14
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I think I may have given the wrong impression with the term "low speed ride" I should have just said 20 mph to 55 mph . Above this speed the ride and particularly the high speed stability are fantastic.
This is a common observation of BMW suspensions, remember BMW are designed for high speed driving, hence most of us here in the UK don't (or can't) exploit the high speed benefits. We want suspensions that are more biased towards the low speed ride. Move the compromises.

I still recommend trying an X3 with the SE suspension, before you change anything, see if it is what you can live with. Also try adaptive, see if that is even better.

I went with adaptive this time in my car, as I spent time and money experimenting with an E91, trying to get the best ride compromise. Even after test driving and deciding on the SE suspension and 17" wheels, it wasn't actually good enough (once living with it) without further changes.

Biggest change for low speed ride in my E91 was tyres, removing the RFTs. Suspension changes were more subtle to keep the primary and secondary control in balance.

A caution if you need to use the X3 with just driver and fully loaded. Soften too much and the loaded feel is really compromised.
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 08:38 AM   #15
EspressoM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT; F25 X3 2.0D

Tires

I changed the 17" RFTs on my 335i to 18" nonRFTs and the improvement was dramatic at low and medium speeds. The car was much more enjoyable to drive. Currently my f 25 X3 is on its original 17" RFTs and I am happy with the ride: firm but supple, and not a hint of jiggleyness. I agree with the others about trying either a switch to non RFTs or to go with 17" RFTS.
Appreciate 0