BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Interior noises

I\'ve had my car for a few days, and I notice a few things.

1. The sunroof makes little plasticky \"tik tik tik\" noises when closed going over steady bumps.
2. The premium hi-fi buzzes as if blown out (I couldn\'t have blown it out because I don\'t listen to music that loud and it\'s 5 days old

Any help?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:17 AM   #2
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

Not right, no noise with mine. I would take it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:21 AM   #3
WAY
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Fast ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by juddholland View Post

1. The sunroof makes little plasticky \"tik tik tik\" noises when closed going over steady bumps.
2. The premium hi-fi buzzes as if blown out (I couldn\'t have blown it out because I don\'t listen to music that loud and it\'s 5 days old

Any help?
That's funny, it is the exact two noises I have on mine too. The sunroof noise on mine is more rattle like though, and I think it just needs a bit of greasing. The Hi-fi noise have dissapeared after two weeks. No idea what it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Itchywasabi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

no noise on mine, most silent place on earth to be. unless my wife is inside then it turns into a war zone.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
No noise on mine except when going at speeds of 50mph and above, I am hearing a humming/buzzing sound that is either coming from the front tire or the engine bay and I can't tell which. It is making me crazy! The good thing/bad thing Judd, is we both have previous X's to compare things to.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

That doesn't sound right - I would ask the dealer to take a look.
      08-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Update: the stereo noise was just because of the one song I was listening to. The loaner I have has the surround so I tried it with the culprit and then with the radio and an array of other songs, and the other songs did not produce the buzzing noise. If you're curious and want to try it out, the song is "Rescue Song (RAC Remix) -- Mr. Little Jeans; it's the song from the Honda CR-V commercial where it's driving through the weather forecast.

As for the sunroof, I am not sure what the story is.

I forgot to mention that I also experienced a whooshing noise from the air conditioning under hard acceleration (like 50-70). You hear the turbo spooling and then the A/C pushes out air at a higher speed as if the turbo is powering the A/C. I hope it had something to do with the drainage pump because I'd like not to have to bring the car back in after I pick it up on monday.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

It's less likely to be the AC and more likely to be the waste gate on the turbo as you back off the throttle. It can sound like a sigh, or if you back off quickly almost like a chattering sound.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 04:34 PM   #9
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
It's less likely to be the AC and more likely to be the waste gate on the turbo as you back off the throttle. It can sound like a sigh, or if you back off quickly almost like a chattering sound.
I am familiar with that noise and quite like it. My previous X3 did that quite nicely, as does this one. The noise I am describing, however, is something so unmistakably problematic, heard from the interior. I can hear the turbo spooling with all the windows up, and I can then feel and hear the air conditioning pumping more air into the cabin under said hard acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #10
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Speaking of the waste gate, could someone do a golf-tee mod on a 35i? I'd like to get more noise out of the exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
Santa69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 M Sport

Quote:
I\'ve had my car for a few days, and I notice the premium hi-fi buzzes as if blown out (I couldn\'t have blown it out because I don\'t listen to music that loud and it\'s 5 days old

Any help?
check the posts by radioactive on settings for premium sound system. I am also finding that the sound system improves the more you play it. Break in period?

Bring on the X3M
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2011, 10:37 PM   #12
Marmik
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 35i titanium & black

Premium sound quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa69 View Post
check the posts by radioactive on settings for premium sound system. I am also finding that the sound system improves the more you play it. Break in period?
I find the premium sound system to be mystifying. Normally the sound is OK, not great but fine on radio, ipod, bluetooth whatever. Then every so often it's amazing. Last time that happened it was a HD radio channel while I was traveling. Suddenly I had this full rich nuanced sound. My wife commented and she has a great ear. Then it's back to fine, ok, good enough. So now I know it's capable of really great sound, strange I rarely get to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:11 AM   #13
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:

Any help?
Fortunately diagnosing car audio problems are normally easier than diagnosing other car rattles and noises. Here are few general guide lines to help you if you are experiencing audio problems

Be aware that the more accurate and clear a system is able to reproduce sounds, the more you will be able to hear the "bad" sounds as well. Also changing the acoustical environment that the sound is reproduced in, can increase or decrease different frequencies.

If you are hearing a buzz such as the one above, change the track and listen for it. If it is still there, try different album.

A bad midrange or woofer will normally not play or sound very thin with a kind of weird flubby(?) sound (you'll know it when you hear it!). If the voice cone is bad, the speaker probably is not moving and will sometimes have a burnt smell. This normally occurs because the speaker was driven too hard. The latter sound described happens when the speaker is not dampened. If this happens in the car it is probably due to a rotten cone suspension. Because the X3 is so new this will not be a problem.

Tweeter are a little more difficult. Play something that you know has a high range and put your ear right up to the tweeter.

If you hear a buzzing that can be increased or decrease with volume change the iDrive/Headunit is probably bad or there is a bad ground.

If no sound is coming from the speakers the problem probably lies in the wiring or a bad amp. Check the amp fuse. If blown, it could mean a bad amp or wires were shorted at some point. A break in the wiring circuit for power, the HU and/or speakers could also be possible.

The car itself has many electrical noise generators. If your audio system buzz changes with a change in engine revs you are picking up noise from outside the audio system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa69 View Post
Probably need about 100+hours. Mine became less forward (treble) after 20 hours.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:

I forgot to mention that I also experienced a whooshing noise from the air conditioning under hard acceleration (like 50-70). You hear the turbo spooling and then the A/C pushes out air at a higher speed as if the turbo is powering the A/C. I hope it had something to do with the drainage pump because I'd like not to have to bring the car back in after I pick it up on monday.
I believe the X3 disengages the alternator and A/C compressor under full throttle. I haven't noticed the blower speed increasing on mine (haven't tried checking for it), but it may just be the climate control system trying to maintain cooling by increasing the fan speed to compensate for the lack of coolant coming from the compressor when you floor it.

You might try it with the climate controls set to "auto" and then "manual" at the same initial blower speed to see if it's just the auto climate control trying to be "smart".
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 12:20 PM   #15
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The other point on the music is GIGO. If you;re playing mp3's you're not going to get great sound however hard you try. Go back and transfer files into lossless format (WAV or MPEG-4ALS) and do an A:B monitor of the same track
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
The other point on the music is GIGO. If you;re playing mp3's you're not going to get great sound however hard you try. Go back and transfer files into lossless format (WAV or MPEG-4ALS) and do an A:B monitor of the same track
Agreed. To critically listen you need to have a recording in a lossless format on an mp3 player hardwired or a cd. Use only music that you already know is recorded correctly. Unfortunately much of today's music is engineered from the bottom up, not the top down. The audio engineer is engineering the music, so it sounds loud to the kid with an ipod, skull candy earbuds that are pushed through his ear drums and his inner ear cilia are laid down like crop circles. Because they are pushing the limits this cause problems for those with accurate systems. If you get a chance find a copy of Dire Straits, on every street, #6 You and Your Friend.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #17
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Sometimes I have those click noise when I open or close the sunroof..... but not always....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #18
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmik View Post
I find the premium sound system to be mystifying. Normally the sound is OK, not great but fine on radio, ipod, bluetooth whatever. Then every so often it's amazing. Last time that happened it was a HD radio channel while I was traveling. Suddenly I had this full rich nuanced sound. My wife commented and she has a great ear. Then it's back to fine, ok, good enough. So now I know it's capable of really great sound, strange I rarely get to hear it.

Premium hifi can present the real, unveiled sound of the source signal, warts and all. Poor recordings, low quality MP3s, over-compressed radio, etc. could sound bad. Well recorded, uncompressed material would sound good. No more 128Kbps MP3s...they are terrible!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:16 AM   #19
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Okay I'm going crazy. There's some "tinking" and clicking over bumps from the front passenger door, the sunroof divider, and the right C-pillar. Help!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 02:25 AM   #20
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Okay I'm going crazy. There's some "tinking" and clicking over bumps from the front passenger door, the sunroof divider, and the right C-pillar. Help!
Judd, Here's your solution - guaranteed to help:
http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Wor.../dp/B0018MU2EI
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:42 AM   #21
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
Quote:
Judd, Here's your solution - guaranteed to help:
http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Wor.../dp/B0018MU2EI
You have no idea how excited I was before I clicked...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #22
kozzi
Pygocentrus Piraya
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3MC

Garage List
2021 BMW X3MC  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchywasabi View Post
no noise on mine, most silent place on earth to be. unless my wife is inside then it turns into a war zone.
All too often I find myself in that same zone.

2021 BMW X3MC
Donington Grey Metallic / Sakhir Orange & Black Extended Merino Leather / Aluminum Carbon Structure
Appreciate 0