BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-07-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
alexg62
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i M-Sport

Thule Foot Pack vs BMW OEM for 2013 x3

I currently own Thule square LB58 cross bars and Thule Cargo Box.

As far as I can tell, I will need to purchase Thule 460 Foot Pack and KIT4023. The price for both is higher than BMW's OEM cross bars.

Seems like BMW's OEM bars are better than square Thule bars.

Any opinions?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

For my money

I prefer the BMW (Thule-crafted) OEM base support system. Even if it cost a little more, they look much better since they are tailored to the vehicle. I usually leave my base system in place year round because it looks like just an extension of the car, not an aftermarket rack.

That said, Thule and I've seen a couple others in the forum that are very nice and people are very pleased with them. For me, it's OEM, hands down.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
PGB
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg62 View Post

As far as I can tell, I will need to purchase Thule 460 Foot Pack and KIT4023. The price for both is higher than BMW's OEM cross bars.

Any opinions?
I bought the BMW roof racks and am looking to go back to Thule given I can't get the Thule bike racks that I have to fit. I looked at the BMW bike racks but given I'm leasing I'm going to stick with a system that I can transfer from one car to another quickly.

Happy to sell them if you're interested. The box is banged up but the racks are perfect, never been fitted. I'm in NJ, just out of NYC.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Not exactly the same, but we just bought an OEM Mini rack with tow bike holders (for a Mini). Chose the Mini option vice Thule because it worked specifically with the attachment points on the Mini roof, the bars are specific to the size of the car so there's no extra overhang (that I don't need for anything at this point), and the general style incorporates nicely with the rest of the car. Very pleased with the function, sturdiness, and apparent (it's still new) quality. Imagine it would be similar for the BMW rack, except that the X3 has rails.
      04-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
Legaleagle4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexg62 View Post

Any opinions?
I already had the Thule 460 foot pack from my 2008 335XI along with two Thule bike carriers and two Thule wheel carriers. I only needed the 4023 KIT to adapt for use on the X3. Once assembled, it is easy to attach and to remove the entire rack (including bike holders and wheel carriers) without dismantling the indvidual pieces. I used LB50 square cross bars. I also had LB58 square cross bars from a Honda Pilot, but they were a bit wide for the X3.
Appreciate 0