BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
mistermagoo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 x35i, 2015 X5 x35i

TPM Malfunction

Hi all. My wife told me she's been getting a "TPM Malfunction" message on her 2012 X3. I checked the tire pressure, and they're fine, but this message is a bit disconcerting given that she uses the car on a daily basis, which also includes dropping our 5 month old off at day care.

Has anyone seen this error? Is it something that goes away after a while, or should I bring the car in to have it checked out?

I searched the forums to see if a post similar to this already existed, but I didn't find any. Apologies of this is redundant.

Thanks again everyone.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 11:42 AM   #2
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

The systems/sensors are a bit different in US and Europe. But what I did with my other car (haven't seen this warning in my X3 yet) when getting this error was to check my tyre pressure and when I found nothing wrong there I re-calibrated the system as per the manual and have been driving without any more fuss after that.

My suggestion is to top off the tyres, re-calibrate and check pressure daily for a while just to be sure. If the error returns you may have a leakage.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermagoo View Post
Hi all. My wife told me she's been getting a "TPM Malfunction" message on her 2012 X3. I checked the tire pressure, and they're fine, but this message is a bit disconcerting given that she uses the car on a daily basis, which also includes dropping our 5 month old off at day care.

Has anyone seen this error? Is it something that goes away after a while, or should I bring the car in to have it checked out?

I searched the forums to see if a post similar to this already existed, but I didn't find any. Apologies of this is redundant.

Thanks again everyone.
Check the tire pressures and reset the TPM. If the problem reappears, see your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
mistermagoo
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 x35i, 2015 X5 x35i

Thought this was a done issue, but three visits to the dealer, and the TPM malfunction persists. First time I brought it in, they said it was due to low tire pressure (tires were inflated to recommended PSI, but whatever). Second time I brought it in for the same issue, they said it was due to a faulty sensor, which they fixed. As I was driving off, the TPM malfunction indicator came on. I brought it in for the third time that weekend. They kept the car for over a week and said they had to reinitialize the TPM system. Drove fine for a couple of days, and then it came back. Now it's going off every 30 seconds. Very distracting, and a bit disconcerting given that my wife doesn't know whether there's anything wrong with the car. What makes matters worse is that she drives our 9-month old to day care.

Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Not sure why it's taking so many trips to the dealership to get this problem fixed once and for all. Love the car when it's not chiming every 30 seconds...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
it should tell u which tire is low, i have an issue with tpms. it shows on the screen rear right tire but when i check the psi its fine. i decided to check rear left tire found out it was low. so theres something wrong with tpms system. i have service appt tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 04:56 PM   #6
Meadtec
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3

Any updates on this issue?

Were you able to resolve the TPM error?
I am currently looking at purchasing a 2012 X3 that has the same problem. Current owner says they took it in but dealer couldn't resolve the problem. What did you do to resolve it?

Thanks! Mike in Michigan
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 09:25 PM   #7
Opie55
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 650i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadtec View Post
Were you able to resolve the TPM error?
I am currently looking at purchasing a 2012 X3 that has the same problem. Current owner says they took it in but dealer couldn't resolve the problem. What did you do to resolve it?

Thanks! Mike in Michigan
Since this person's last post on this site was in May 2013, I don't think you will hear from him. I would not buy a car with an annoying persistent warning. Most TPMS sensors have a battery in them which eventually fails. The correct scan tool can read that battery life. In any event, I'd get the codes read and see if any issues show up.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #8
barborge
Rep
Drives: 18 F80, 14 F25

Hello! New here. I have the same issue on a 2014 X3 with 49K miles. Out of now where ,while driving; I get TPMS malfunction on dash. The last couple of instances after dismissing the warning, the system appeared to "reconnect" and warning cleared. There was one time I pulled over and performed a reset, which worked too.

Is this a bad sensor in one of the tires? Could it be a module? If I replace the module, do you need the car to be re-coded? Should I be able to see individual tire pressure readings for each tire in iDrive?

Thanks in advance. G.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #9
F30ed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, X3 35M

2012.. sensor battery might by about dead.
1. replace all TPMS sensors (costly but easy)
2. Disable TPMS
3. Switch to ABS based (wheel rotation) pressure monitoring. Then you can forget about TPMS sensor forever. (Requires coding)

Last edited by F30ed; 08-07-2019 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 11:26 AM   #10
oVeRdOsE.
Major
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ed View Post
2012.. sensor battery might by about dead.
1. replace all TPMS sensors (costly but easy)
2. Disable TPMS
3. Switch to ABS bases (wheel rotation) pressure monitoring. Then you can forget about TPMS sensor forever. (Requires coding)
if i recall correctly, on FCP euro, they are not that expensive.
The expensive part is to remove the tire and rim it back.

I have the ABS one, and it gives me code time to time.
Pressure is OK, and tire diameter is the same on all 4 corners to the mm.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 12:10 PM   #11
KevinBeamer
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 F25

2012 BMW X3 F25 28i - TPM malfunction

5 amp fuse in the rear passenger panel was OK # (fuse #139 I think).

RDC antenna module near right rear tire seemed OK - meaning installing new modules didn't clear the error condition.

Using my Autel MaxiTPMS TS508WF to scan all four wheel sensors, I discovered that a single faulty wheel sensor was the cause of the "Tire Pressure Monitor malfunction" error on the iDrive screen. $75 to replace the sensor cleared the error condition.
Appreciate 1
Wgosma799.50