BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #23
Chopper45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theatermax View Post
They totally screwed me.. There is no sales documentation that states if you buy the tech package Vs buying the Nav package that the cluster changes. This is a very bad marketing issue on the their part and I am not okay with this. If I knew I was going to get a half screen cluster I would have ordered tech. I was told the only difference if you order Nav without tech is you lose Hud which is what all the info on the web site shows. There is nothing for ordering a car that tells you you will get the old cluster style.

Imagine driving the X4 at the dealer and falling in love with the Screen on the Dash and then yours comes in after waiting almost 2 months and the cluster isn't what you saw at the dealer. This is the position I am in and I am not going to accept this. My X3 has the nicer cluster and this isn't going to fly. I am going to ask them to replace the car with one with the correct cluster as this is BMW's fault for not saying a word about this.. I made it very clear what I wanted and they very much told me its the same thing with and without tech just HUD would be removed.
There is just too much messing around with BMW Options in general, it's so not straight forward and the devil is in the details. I'd be pissed off too so hope you manage to find a resolution.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:07 AM   #24
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Agreed, want to be happy and treated fairly with correct complete disclosure.
Below X5 thread, there was owner who returned the X5 because of the Instrumentation Cluster. see pg3. Good luck.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...rument+display
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 06:42 PM   #25
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by barcelona View Post
Agreed, want to be happy and treated fairly with correct complete disclosure.
Below X5 thread, there was owner who returned the X5 because of the Instrumentation Cluster. see pg3. Good luck.

http://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...rument+display
Looks after being told it's a 4 month wait for new one he decided to keep it for he could not explain to his wife why they are on a loaner due to a change of display I would still take it back!

Theatermax sorry for your predicament, let's us know what you decide.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #26
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
Looks after being told it's a 4 month wait for new one he decided to keep it for he could not explain to his wife why they are on a loaner due to a change of display I would still take it back!

Theatermax sorry for your predicament, let's us know what you decide.
If I had to bet, Theatermax will wait based upon his Macan trade in, he appears to be determined. Then again others in his household may not be so inclined. I somewhat understand the wait as I waited 90 days for my X5, for me well worth it.
Most ordering will have debates on options/packages, I believe it is better to over option than under as the latter would leave me more sad.
In Theatermax' s case, he was sold without the real goods as they were not clear which should be the dealers responsibility. The real reasons why may have been ignorance as most dealers are not fully aware of all the nuances between so many different BMW models and model years, as most dealers are just looking for the signature.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:30 PM   #27
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 and X4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopper45 View Post
There is just too much messing around with BMW Options in general, it's so not straight forward and the devil is in the details. I'd be pissed off too so hope you manage to find a resolution.

My sales guy called and left me a message that they had spoken to BMW and BMW says that you have to order Tech to get the extended dash cluster.

I wrote the GM and the Sales guy both who I absolutely think are great guys a detailed email about this situation later today detailing the problem I am having here and the bottom line is if I or the dealer knew that I was going to get this basic cluster I would have never ordered it that way. The Extended Cluster is nice and blacked out and offers much more info when driving including better graphics and more data all the time.

The fact that BMW doesn't simply say on their specs for the Tech package that this will include an Advanced cluster is ridiculous. Maybe some people won't pay attention to this or miss this type of option but I am a techie and love these types of things. The fact that my X3 has the extended cluster and my X4 doesn't is going to drive me nuts.

I told them in the email to just order me another one and they can take this one back now or when the new one comes in. BMW needs to eat this one and not the dealer as its not the dealers fault. This is simply bad web site and marketing material offered by BMW and me the customer gets something I didn't bargain for.

In today's day and age you would think they would detail everything your going to get in such high priced items.

I sell high end products every day and my customers demand details and we love to share everything with them so they know exactly what they are getting.

Keep you guys posted and thanks so much for the support !

Craig
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #28
YMB-M3-J2
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M3

Garage List
Hopefully they step up and do the right thing. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 07:19 AM   #29
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
i had similar experience with idrive controller, i was expecting new touchpad. when new x3 arrived and i saw the small knob im like wtf is this lol. Salesmans were all confused as to why i didnt get knob but they were able to figure it online configuration. Sometimes the Salesmans dont know what new features are or what packages/options are available.

Same thing goes with service advisor I feel like I know more every time I walk in there. My X3 had a rattle on start up. loud one. One of the service advisor was telling me oh thats normal, its same thing for 5 series and new x5. I told him i dont think 50g vehicle should have such rattle noise. I had to record the dam noise, and bring it to the service guy following day. In the end, there were few bolts missing around the exhaust.

So in the near future research every detail when ordering, dont over looking anything. Any issues just record them or take a pic for evidence

Last edited by nyalpine90; 09-09-2014 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #30
X3paul
Banned
Rep
Drives: E9 CSi, Z4M coup, E65 730d, E4

I had the same problem with my x3 when it came. The extended screen only came with ptofessional Nav, but both the brochure and even the promotional video on the bmw uk website showed an X3 with the small nav screen but with the extended on the steering screen. its the same with the panel gaps in brochures. bmw has a small print in its brochures and websites and thats how they get away with it. I contacted bmw about this and that was its answer.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #31
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3paul View Post
I had the same problem with my x3 when it came. The extended screen only came with ptofessional Nav, but both the brochure and even the promotional video on the bmw uk website showed an X3 with the small nav screen but with the extended on the steering screen. its the same with the panel gaps in brochures. bmw has a small print in its brochures and websites and thats how they get away with it. I contacted bmw about this and that was its answer.
Paul -

Not in this case. There is no small print or anything on any web site or brochure that you are going to receive a different cluster with your 60K car.. Not in anything sales related on any web site or hard printed either. This is now confirmed by myself and event the dealer. This is a real problem for BMW as I have been taken advantage of..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 08:50 PM   #32
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Guys

Thanks for the support..

Its been a week and the dealer has not responded with anything about what is going to be done.

All they have to do is tell the BMW NA rep that the car came in with a completely different cluster than shown on the Demo car and the dealer and the customer (ME) didn't expect this to come in this way. They need to tell BMW NA that the customer who just bought 2 BMW's the same day valued at over 100k is unhappy and is not going to accept this mistake and to just simply replace the car.

Apparently this isn't moving along and I am going to have to open a case complaint with BMW NA on monday.. I don't want to zing the dealer as they are great and did nothing wrong from what I can see.

I am going to move this along on monday and by mid week I am going to just simply leave the car at the dealer with my Letter requesting them to order the proper replacement or refund me which I don't want to do as I really love the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:06 PM   #33
Rizz
X4 Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4 Black Sapphire Msport

Hey Craig,
If it matters when we were originally ordering our X4 we weren't going to get the Tech package. When we finally got to see the X4 and test drive it we liked the tech package and decided to add it to our order. We weren't told of any difference in the cluster if we didn't get the tech package.

I think BMW did a poor job in getting out information to their dealerships on the car in general and what the cars had and different options. When our car was delivered they have a " genius" and a training department that goes over all of the car features.
The genius who was assigned to our X4 drained the battery trying to learn all the new features on our car. He didn't have any training or information prior to our X4 showing up as the first customer vehicle for delivery it appeared. Sales people were even left more out in the dark. I hope they step up and let you order the car you were expecting. Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 10:38 AM   #34
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
very true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizz View Post
Hey Craig,
If it matters when we were originally ordering our X4 we weren't going to get the Tech package. When we finally got to see the X4 and test drive it we liked the tech package and decided to add it to our order. We weren't told of any difference in the cluster if we didn't get the tech package.

I think BMW did a poor job in getting out information to their dealerships on the car in general and what the cars had and different options. When our car was delivered they have a " genius" and a training department that goes over all of the car features.
The genius who was assigned to our X4 drained the battery trying to learn all the new features on our car. He didn't have any training or information prior to our X4 showing up as the first customer vehicle for delivery it appeared. Sales people were even left more out in the dark. I hope they step up and let you order the car you were expecting. Good luck!!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:54 AM   #35
m_alnimah
Lieutenant
Qatar
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mini Cooper S 5 Door

Garage List
2015 BMW X5  [10.00]
Well if you Order HUD you get the Cluster in your X3 if you dont order HUD then you wont get the big cluster...
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 04:53 AM   #36
Northandy
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0d M Sport

Just the same in the uk, I ordered HUD on my car when I ordered 2 months ago, I had no idea that gave you a different cluster setup.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #37
Yocal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 28i M Sport

@Theatermax, what a buzz kill, huh? You had such high hopes for the X4 vs. the Macan that you had.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 09:27 PM   #38
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yocal View Post
@Theatermax, what a buzz kill, huh? You had such high hopes for the X4 vs. the Macan that you had.

Yocal

Not a buzz kill at all.. I am loving my X4 possibly more than any SUV I have owned ever and thats a lot of SUVs.. I think I like it more than anything I have owned over the last 10 years including cars and Suvs..

Its just different and fun and rock rock solid. Feels crazy fast and sounds amazing and the Sound system is stunning..

The X4 is really remarkable and for some reason just overall does things that I never expected.

The Cluster issue I am working with BMW on and I am hoping for a resolution this week to be discussed. They just simply need to replace the car with the correct version with the right cluster. These days manufacturers need to understand its just a product no different than a TV or Refrigerator or anything else that can cost apt of money.

Hopefully they come to their senses and just build me another one soon.. I love the car so much that i wouldn't consider anything else in the luxury SUV line up from anyone right now.

The SQ5 is seriously my runner up and when they redo the body I am sure ill get one but the X4 for now rules the road for me

Craig
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 01:33 PM   #39
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

Best of luck with this Craig

Is it really likely that they are going to build you a new $60K vehicle because of this? I think in the UK it would come down to whether or not you had anything in writing that said your car would come with the 'full black' display.

If it is just a conversation (unrecorded) between you and the sales guy then surely they are just going to say that they never said you would get the cluster, and therefore BMW have done nothing wrong.

They could of course take a 'customer service' point of view on this and build you a new one anyway, but it's just such a high value car, I can't see it myself.

Maybe the consumer laws are different in the US, and you do sound like a VERY good customer!!

Any news in the last couple of days?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 05:42 PM   #40
Theatermax
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwoods View Post
Best of luck with this Craig

Is it really likely that they are going to build you a new $60K vehicle because of this? I think in the UK it would come down to whether or not you had anything in writing that said your car would come with the 'full black' display.

If it is just a conversation (unrecorded) between you and the sales guy then surely they are just going to say that they never said you would get the cluster, and therefore BMW have done nothing wrong.

They could of course take a 'customer service' point of view on this and build you a new one anyway, but it's just such a high value car, I can't see it myself.

Maybe the consumer laws are different in the US, and you do sound like a VERY good customer!!

Any news in the last couple of days?

Rob,

This has nothing to do with the laws. You are not quite getting it my friend..

If someone goes into a dealer and sees a car and test drives the car and agrees to purchase one exactly like the test driven car and in speaking with the Sales man and the General Manager and everyone agrees that removing the HUD but taking every other option would produce the exact same car as the test driven car minus the hud and then ordered car comes in with a different cluster , That is where things goes wrong.

See Bmw's problem is simple. They didn't document that if you remove HUD that you lose the Enhanced cluster. There is nothing anywhere on anything they have that says there is even a different cluster for the X4. The dealer was dumbfounded along with friends of mine who by the way work for BMW North America. They couldn't believe it came with a basic 3 series type cluster.

Every other car brand IE.. Audi SQ5 I just had and my Porsche Macan for instance all come with one Cluster. They don't step down the cluster if you dont order an option.

This has nothing to do with what country your in. If you order something and its presented to you in a way and it comes in different that the way you were shown and the dealer is 100% in agreement with me , its simple. Replace it with the right one.

These are just cars. Just a machine that costs some money. No different than one of my customers who orders a 35K pair of speakers and they order them in a specific finish and if it came in incorrect we would simply get them another pair. Its not more complicated than that and people think that for some reason cars are not returnable and or exchangeable and its incorrect.

Its Bmw's mistake that they have not documented or detailed that when you order an X4 you may get a different low end dashboard and you wouldn't even know it..

In actuality when it comes down to it.. The nicer dash/cluster should be standard on all X4's and they wouldn't have these issues. There are no options in these cars to upgrade the cluster which is where they get into trouble. People think like myself I am going to get what I saw at the dealer. I shouldn't have to have to hire a Private investigator to tell me what options i may or may not get in my new car I ordered.

I am pretty sure they are going to do the right thing. I should know shortly.

Craig
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 07:45 PM   #41
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

I guess you should have ordered the HUD. Unfortunately BMW's salespeople can't be counted upon to know the ins and outs of all these things, and BMW doesn't give us access to all the information we need to figure it out for ourselves. To me, though, the beauty of these cars is in the marvelous engines and transmissions. I couldn't care less about the instrument cluster.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 03:42 AM   #42
robwoods
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d Gran Tourer Auto

Hi Craig, I agree with you that if you specifically said you wanted a car as per the one you test drove, and that isn't what you got, then you have the right to feel aggrieved.

I did wonder why the HUD option is around £850 in the UK, did seem rather a lot for a basic colour screen that reflects off the windscreen. Perhaps the better instrument cluster explains the relatively high cost.

I totally agree that just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean you aren't entitled to it being right. Comes down to who said what to whom, and whether you can prove it I guess.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2014, 05:42 AM   #43
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Bmw should just standardize on the clusters and allow you to get big idrive screen without having to get the top of the line Nav. The price differential for me was not worth upgrading to either, hope the surround view cameras and Hi-FI sound more than make up for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #44
oeli
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X4

My bmw dealer pointed me to this difference in cluster between the professional nav and the business nav. If I click on the 'details' links in the car configurator on bmw.com (dutch market), there are a few words 'additional info display' that the professional nav has that the business nav doesn't. So maybe they've corrected the info by now.
Appreciate 0