BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

06-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #1
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 4 GC 2.8i MSport

Picked up my X3 yesterday, first impressions.

First up the, the dealer hand over was great, Sytner Newport was great. Only been able to drive it around 50 miles so far so be honest I really haven't got used it. The manual box is unlike some reports very smoth, the changes are easy and it feels very precise. The pedals are offset to the right, so setting up the the seat etc is more difficult than normal. However once set you forget all about. I do have a few problems with the car, first up there is somthing wrong with the nav screen, it flickers intermitantly and then goes bright red then black. This then seems to clear and the screen comes back to life with a few flickers. I have contatced the dealers so I expect it to go back. Will post pictures ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Congratulations Pugger! Will look forward to some pictures.

Unusual problem with the screen. Hopefully just a loose connection somewhere and easy to fix.

Enjoy!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:41 AM   #3
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

had the same problem, then it went away, do you have the cellular laying under the monitor? try moving your cellular and turn off Wifi...

Could be interference..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

X3/X4 thanks for the info. Phone was in my pocket but the wifi was switched on. Will check it out.
Will still have a word with the dealer. Glad I kept the standard wheels ride is excellent and whilst the cornering is obviously nothing like my 320i m sport it is much better than expected. Love the car so far, the sunroof was a good choice. As was the xenons, they look great. One thing I like that I knew nothing about is how the wing mirror switches automatically to curb view, great idea.

Last edited by Pugger; 06-19-2011 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #5
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Congrats Pugger

Those xenons are great!

Sunroof controls took me a few days to master, enjoy the ride and let us know what mpg your getting after a few hundred miles

p.s. dont forget pics

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

A few pictures,
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #7
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Very Nice Pugger, curious are the rear entertainment screens after market or bmw? Is it an easy installation process?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Looks good, Pugger. Very nice.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:03 AM   #9
turbotoy4me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

Garage List
2015 Porsche Macan ...  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2020 BMW  [0.00]
Beuatiful X3. How do you like the Oyster interior? I have that ordered but have not seen an X3 with the Oyster in person.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Looks fantastic Pugger. I love the oyster/black combination. Would be my first choice if I could be trusted to keep it clean! Have fun

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:00 AM   #11
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

The oyster leather looks great; I think it’s easy enough to keep clean. As for the screens, it's the BMW Tablet system, simple to install, seems to work well or so says my son. Got a really good discount on it also. My nav screen played up this morning again, wifi is off on my phone although I did have my IPod touch connected at the time. I don't know if that will cause problems but it's definitely a trip back to the dealers.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:40 AM   #12
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
Glad I kept the standard wheels ride is excellent and whilst the cornering is obviously nothing like my 320i m sport it is much better than expected.

One thing I like that I knew nothing about is how the wing mirror switches automatically to curb view, great idea.
Totally agree re ride quality on standard wheels. I am very happy with my choice in this regard.

I have had my car 2 months and today discovered mine too has the dipping wing mirror. I have had the button set to the left the whole time and it hasn't moved. This setting made sense as it is the left mirror for me. But no. Move the button to the right and I get the dipping left mirror. Brilliant.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:35 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugger View Post
My nav screen played up this morning again, wifi is off on my phone although I did have my IPod touch connected at the time. I don't know if that will cause problems but it's definitely a trip back to the dealers.
I have had all sorts of wifi devices in close proximity to the iDrive and never had any kind of flicker on the screen over a 4 month period. Can't see that being the cause

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #14
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Well I jst took all the devices out the car and went for a 30 minutes drive, no problems at all. Doesn't prove it's a problem with wifi but I just checked and my Ipod touch and it did have wifi enabled when driving in this morning.
Next test is to run the car with both the phone and ipod wifi disabled. Because its an intermittent problem this is probably going to cause me a right load of hassle, still can't beleive that wifi could casue the screen to do this.

By the way love the 3D on the sat nav, driving in Cardiff all the major attractions are fully modeled, even my place of work in included but this is just a grey block, which is pretty close anyway!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:15 PM   #15
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Pugger, looks good We certainly got good taste!!!

Did you get 2 sets of chrome cups (pics shows some in front and rear)?

Its not the oyster leather thats difficult to keep clean but the black paintwork and those bloody birds!

Titanium grilles and exhaust trim look great!

Not tried 3d nav yet and will give it a try

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:23 PM   #16
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
Its not the oyster leather thats difficult to keep clean but the black paintwork and those bloody birds!
+1 I'm sure they single out black cars to sh!t on . Having gone from black to silver in February I can report less muck deposited despite the increased surface area

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:46 PM   #17
jlr_1304
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: none

Very nice. Would love to try it here in NA with manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #18
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Very nice car, Congrats, great colour and interior but shouldn't you complain over that they misplaced the steering wheel on the wrong side?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #19
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
+1 I'm sure they single out black cars to sh!t on . Having gone from black to silver in February I can report less muck deposited despite the increased surface area
I read that birds aim for black cars as the look like bodies of water to them? Birds are thick as shite!

After a good wash flies and winged insects bounce on the bonnet like its water so it might be true?

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #20
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMMER UK 76 View Post
I read that birds aim for black cars as the look like bodies of water to them? Birds are thick as shite!

After a good wash flies and winged insects bounce on the bonnet like its water so it might be true?
There must be some science behind it! I think you should post a question on the subject here and let us know

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #21
Pugger
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep

Bloody seagulls christened the Car outside work this morning. Luckily it poured down all afternoon. Bimmer I got 4 cups two in the front and 2 for the back, which don't fit into the holders so god knows where they go. I checked and theres no part number on them, but your welcome to the pair I have.

X3/X4 many thanks for your tips on the wifi, I'm almost sure now it is wifi causing all manner of problems with the screen. Both my phones wifi and ipods wifi seem to cause issues. Turn it on and within seconds the screen goes nuts, turn the wifi off within a minute the screen is back to normal. Can anyone try this out and see if wifi causes issues in their screens? As for the wheel if you reverse the picture, everthing turns out okay.

Oh I love the Xenons.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2011, 06:05 PM   #22
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Glad I could help.
Seems like there's a shielding fault either in the LCD or the computer..
Not good if this hasnt been tested out properly.. Especially when BMW offers wifi solution option to the X3. ...
Appreciate 0