BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #1
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

Why Blank Out License Plates?

Whenever we drive somewhere our license plates are exposed to thousands of other drivers. Why then do we go to effort to blank out the plate details in the pictures we post?

Almost everybody does this so there must be a reason I am just not seeing.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #2
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
The way I see it is when you drive somewhere, chances are the people who glance over your plates don't know you or don't notice since there are so many plates around. When you have it in a picture, that plate is the focus and you know that plate belongs to me and with that plate number you can find out some personal details.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #3
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSY View Post
The way I see it is when you drive somewhere, chances are the people who glance over your plates don't know you or don't notice since there are so many plates around. When you have it in a picture, that plate is the focus and you know that plate belongs to me and with that plate number you can find out some personal details.
+1
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #4
slyfox
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: X3-20d (2013)

+ 1

Also there have been cases where criminals "copy" your license plate from these such forums and other web sites. Then drive around with your license plate running bills up for speeding, parking, tolls, etc... Then you have to explain this to the police and you have NO proof!! This can lead to thousands of dollars, pounds, euros for you the innocent driver, and all you did was put your car photo on the "WORLD WIDE WEB".

Food for thought !!

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox
+ 1

Also there have been cases where criminals "copy" your license plate from these such forums and other web sites. Then drive around with your license plate running bills up for speeding, parking, tolls, etc... Then you have to explain this to the police and you have NO proof!! This can lead to thousands of dollars, pounds, euros for you the innocent driver, and all you did was put your car photo on the "WORLD WIDE WEB".

Food for thought !!

I've never heard of that before...
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
colson79
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i DSB

It seem just as easy to me for a criminal to copy my license plate when I'm parked at the store. It still doesn't seem like there is really a reason to block the license plate from the photo's posted on the web.
      10-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #7
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

In fact, it is impossible for the criminal to run up any charges against you unless the car they drive is exactly the same (including VIN) as the one you've registered with that license plate. Criminals could use it to avoid charges by any means, but they are aware that as soon as law enforcement and the insurance companies communicate, it will be obvious that the license plate is registered to a different car.
Appreciate 0