BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #1
mexxdude
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Question Question about Black Window Trim

My X3's black window trim near the tailgate has uneven texture (see picture). When I run my finger on the trim, I can feel it's kind of waxy. It is particularly noticeable under the sun as it gives an uneven and spotty black tone throughout the trim. At first I thought it was maybe a protective film from the factory that the dealer did not remove completely. I have been trying using 303 and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant to remove it with no success. Now I am wondering if it's normal? If it is, then I really wish BMW would use a better quality material for the window trim since it doesn't really match the rest of the car. Has anyone notice this on their X3s? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxdude View Post
My X3's black window trim near the tailgate has uneven texture (see picture). When I run my finger on the trim, I can feel it's kind of waxy. It is particularly noticeable under the sun as it gives an uneven and spotty black tone throughout the trim. At first I thought it was maybe a protective film from the factory that the dealer did not remove completely. I have been trying using 303 and Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant to remove it with no success. Now I am wondering if it's normal? If it is, then I really wish BMW would use a better quality material for the window trim since it doesn't really match the rest of the car. Has anyone notice this on their X3s? Thanks.
I noticed mine is also like that. I wonder if the aluminum trim or the shadow line trim is add-on (ie. glued to the existing rubber trim) or the rubber trim has to be replaced entirely.
Appreciate 0