BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #1
Shu3y
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 x20i M-Sport

Hello from Down Under! New BMW X3 Owner

First post in the xBimmers forums all the way from Melbourne, Australia.

An SUV was never my first choice of a second car (was close to securing an Audi A5 Sportback or the new A4 Avant), but realised with a little bub now in tow, I needed to be a little more practical and not piss off the missus . It was then a toss up between the Audi Q5 2.0 and Merc GLC 250. Although the x20i lacked the grunt of the x28i and the corresponding Q5/GLC, but I couldn't justify paying another A$10k (alot goes to taxes) for a little more power and not much extras.

So to cut a long story short, I was offered a really sweet deal with the X3 and the rest was history. 2 1/2 months wait time for the car to be built/delivered was great. Pretty happy with it so far!

2016 MY16 BMW X3 x20i M Sport
Space Grey w/ Black Nevada leather and Black Anthracite interior

Options:
1. Sport Innovation Package comes standard as a NCO e.g. Professional Navigation, Comfort Access etc)
2. Panoramic Sunroof
3. Head Up Display

Others - Free (BMW Advantage - 3 Years Warranty/Unlimited KMs and 3 Years Road Side Assist) and 5 years/80k KM service

Appreciate 1
      06-01-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Congratulations on your choice and welcome. Our nearly 5 year old X3 30d was both our first BMW and first SUV. Haven't regretted the choice at all. In fact we've been so pleased with the car we are seriously looking at trading in for a 2017 X3 and not waiting for the next generation X3 due (in Australia) late 2017/early 2018.

Large part of this decision is we've heard of the good deals (and your's is another example) that BMW Australia are giving at the moment on X3s - even on factory builds.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 11:38 PM   #3
Shu3y
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brissim View Post
Congratulations on your choice and welcome. Our nearly 5 year old X3 30d was both our first BMW and first SUV. Haven't regretted the choice at all. In fact we've been so pleased with the car we are seriously looking at trading in for a 2017 X3 and not waiting for the next generation X3 due (in Australia) late 2017/early 2018.

Large part of this decision is we've heard of the good deals (and your's is another example) that BMW Australia are giving at the moment on X3s - even on factory builds.

Tony
Thanks for the welcome Tony. How's sunny Brissy?
If not for the dreaded Luxury Car Tax (LCT), I'd bump up to the X28i.. It drives great, especially in Sports mode.

Yea, the deals BMW is doing now is great, I understand Merc being stiff on the GLC (being new), but I would have thought Audi would roll a similar S-Line package since Q5 is kinda dated too.

But if you haven't read this already, this link list down the NCO add-ons that comes with all Australian X3s
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 12:36 AM   #4
honeybadgerch
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 2.0d xline

Hey congrats on the new X3! Great colour choice, nice interior choices too.

Quick question: What does your iDrive system look like? Did you get the updated one with the tile layout? If you have the chance, I'd love to see a pic of the tile layout screen.

Thanks and enjoy your beautiful vehicle!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:55 AM   #5
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

Welcome to the forum. The X3 looks great in space grey. Enjoy :-)
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 02:33 AM   #6
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shu3y View Post
Thanks for the welcome Tony. How's sunny Brissy?
If not for the dreaded Luxury Car Tax (LCT), I'd bump up to the X28i.. It drives great, especially in Sports mode.

Yea, the deals BMW is doing now is great, I understand Merc being stiff on the GLC (being new), but I would have thought Audi would roll a similar S-Line package since Q5 is kinda dated too.

But if you haven't read this already, this link list down the NCO add-ons that comes with all Australian X3s
Not so sunny in Brisbane at the moment - but then can't complain - second day of winter and still wearing shorts.

Yes thanks, I've seen that information about the NCO of M-Sports for Australian X3s. It actually complicates matters for us because we're one of (the apparently few) people that don't like the overall M-Sports package as we see it in Australia. While I certainly like many of the exterior styling items and the sports seats etc on the inside, the one aspect we cannot stand is the black (anthracite) headliner. Prefer light colours that brighten up the interior. Fortunately we'll be getting a factory build and hope to have some negotiating power to ditch the NCO M-Sports package for reduced prices elsewhere. Time will tell.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 05:33 AM   #7
Shu3y
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybadgerch View Post
Hey congrats on the new X3! Great colour choice, nice interior choices too.

Quick question: What does your iDrive system look like? Did you get the updated one with the tile layout? If you have the chance, I'd love to see a pic of the tile layout screen.

Thanks and enjoy your beautiful vehicle!
I don't think it's the updated one (iDrive 5?), but check the photos out and let me know nonetheless. I do like the Professional Navigation package that comes with the 8.8" screen and larger iDrive controller

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

That's what i have in my lci 2014 X3. The mousepad is good for writing on, but takes a bit of practice if your not left handed ;-)
Widescreen display is a must

P. S how did you upload the pics from your phone?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

What did you pay, $150K??

Only slightly joking, euro vehicle prices back home are utterly absurd.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
Shu3y
Australia
Rep

brissim: I was considering the brushed aluminium interior, and the saddle brown leather seats, but the former gets scratched so easily and the latter didn't look good in the flesh. Good luck! I'm pretty sure with a factory build, you should be able to mix and match to your liking.

Pinewood: Yea, i think the new iDrive system is in the new 7 Series. I uploaded my photos through http://postimg.org/

Alfisti: Nah, it's around A$70k for the x20i (with some basic options) and about A$80k for the x28i (with similar options), still heaps more expensive than the USA
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #11
Alfisti
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2008 Saab 9-3 Combi

Yeah that's brutal. We just paid $42k out the door for a 2013, CPO, 3T absolutely LOADED. Salaries are similar to back home.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 05:02 AM   #12
Zen
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Congrats on your delivery. I also recently took delivery of a Glacier Silver X3 20D and I'm loving every bits of it.

I have a very similar spec to yours but with the addition of the Harmon Kardon sound system and heated seats.

I guess my main question would be what made you choose the 20i and not the 20d?
Black Sapphire Metallic | M-Sport | GT-CS 19" Matte Anthracite | BMW Perf. Exhaust | JB4 | AR Design Catless DP | R1 Concepts Cross-drilled & Slotted Rotors | aFe DCI | ER Chargepipe with Forge DV | ER FMIC
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
Shu3y
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen View Post
Congrats on your delivery. I also recently took delivery of a Glacier Silver X3 20D and I'm loving every bits of it.

I have a very similar spec to yours but with the addition of the Harmon Kardon sound system and heated seats.

I guess my main question would be what made you choose the 20i and not the 20d?
I was considering the 20d too, but the missus couldn't get pass the diesel engine rumble. And we barely clock 10k km a year anyway.

I am thinking of Race Chip / BMS Stage 1 along the road to tweak it up a little
Appreciate 0