BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #1
eliw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2012

X3 option 6NL and 6NR retrofit (6FL-6NF misinformation) HELP !!

I am having a nightmare trying to retrofit or more more precisely, "trying to find out if I can" retrofit 6NR in my car.

I have an X3 production date October 2012 - it has combox + Bluetooth + professional Navi + Assist + Connecteddrive + + + what it does not have is BMW apps 6NR cause no one told me about it when I placed my order

Now it seems like for a proper 6NR retrofit I need Combox + Prof Navi + 6FL + 6NF but on my Vin check all I have is 6NL (no mention of 6FL or 6NF) which is strange as I can connect my iphone 4s via the USB in the centre console and get album art - I can even get album art if I use spotify or last FM and can control all from steering wheel and iDrive (move up or down playlist) ! - I also have a base plate in the centre console - but I have not bought a Snapin adapter yet (cause of the lack of knowledge of BMW parts guy or at least that's what I think.)

Now obviously if my USB port can show album art for even apps running on the phone, it can only mean 6FL is present also if I have a base plate (with gold connectors on it) can it also mean that I also have 6NF (I am not sure here... please correct me).

The service part guy said I can't buy the media snap in because I do not have 6FL (he did a vin check) - but now I am certain that I have 6FL cause this document actually proves it: http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=4...0fb1f551719f31 (please check page 35 says 6FL is included in 6NL). So I am going back to the service guy to show him this doc.

The last part of the puzzle is 6NF - my vin does not mention this but I have the baseplate with proper gold connectors - again I believe this is also included in 6NL (but not sure) - the only mention of 6NF in the above document is on page 30 - says baseplate (only with 6NF) so my assumption that I have 6NF is the fact that I actually have a base plate in my car can anyone please confirm this?

I believe BMW have to have a long hard look at their option naming as it is a complete mess... a lot of us buying these expensive cars wouldn't care less about adding an important option if it only cost $150 (as is the case with 6NR for me) but because of their complete naming mess we miss out sometimes or think we missed out (as I think it is the case with me and my service guy)...

What I believe has happened here is that BMW has added a new option called 6NL which includes a couple of other options (6FL and 6NF) without making it completely clear to their dealers what it actually does or means....

Sorry about the long post.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Not sure if this helps but see this thread (page 1 of 2):
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=527049

and scroll down to .pdf file in post dated 04-12-2011, 07:15 AM (mole7374)
BMW_Apps_6NR[80b810aa].pdf

Update: attached file to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW_Apps_6NR[80b810aa].pdf (191.2 KB, 1067 views)
      02-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #3
eliw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 2012

So 6NF is only present if you ordered apps with the car ?
What is the base plate in my car for then ? Just recharging the phone and aerial?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
woodchuck1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 X-drive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliw View Post
So 6NF is only present if you ordered apps with the car ?
What is the base plate in my car for then ? Just recharging the phone and aerial?
I've got 6NF, but I don't have apps. I'm still a little confused as to what I ordered and what it's capabilities are supposed to be. When looking over the delivery paperwork, the salesman said, "Well that must mean you got BMW apps for free." I didn't understand why he said that, and unfortunately it turned out not to be true.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
magas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6

Its my understanding you need an additional cabe to connect to your monitor from the usb port. It is not available from bmw usa only from europe. There is a company that sells them. I am not sure what else it will entail.
There is a bmw pdf install file that has directions. I want to also do this but have put it on hold for now. Ood luck.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliw
I am having a nightmare trying to retrofit or more more precisely, "trying to find out if I can" retrofit 6NR in my car.

I have an X3 production date October 2012 - it has combox + Bluetooth + professional Navi + Assist + Connecteddrive + + + what it does not have is BMW apps 6NR cause no one told me about it when I placed my order

Now it seems like for a proper 6NR retrofit I need Combox + Prof Navi + 6FL + 6NF but on my Vin check all I have is 6NL (no mention of 6FL or 6NF) which is strange as I can connect my iphone 4s via the USB in the centre console and get album art - I can even get album art if I use spotify or last FM and can control all from steering wheel and iDrive (move up or down playlist) ! - I also have a base plate in the centre console - but I have not bought a Snapin adapter yet (cause of the lack of knowledge of BMW parts guy or at least that's what I think.)

Now obviously if my USB port can show album art for even apps running on the phone, it can only mean 6FL is present also if I have a base plate (with gold connectors on it) can it also mean that I also have 6NF (I am not sure here... please correct me).

The service part guy said I can't buy the media snap in because I do not have 6FL (he did a vin check) - but now I am certain that I have 6FL cause this document actually proves it: http://ebookbrowse.com/gdoc.php?id=4...0fb1f551719f31 (please check page 35 says 6FL is included in 6NL). So I am going back to the service guy to show him this doc.

The last part of the puzzle is 6NF - my vin does not mention this but I have the baseplate with proper gold connectors - again I believe this is also included in 6NL (but not sure) - the only mention of 6NF in the above document is on page 30 - says baseplate (only with 6NF) so my assumption that I have 6NF is the fact that I actually have a base plate in my car can anyone please confirm this?

I believe BMW have to have a long hard look at their option naming as it is a complete mess... a lot of us buying these expensive cars wouldn't care less about adding an important option if it only cost $150 (as is the case with 6NR for me) but because of their complete naming mess we miss out sometimes or think we missed out (as I think it is the case with me and my service guy)...

What I believe has happened here is that BMW has added a new option called 6NL which includes a couple of other options (6FL and 6NF) without making it completely clear to their dealers what it actually does or means....

Sorry about the long post.
I have a 6NR retrofit. Will PM you the details when I have some more time. Works without 6NF but it won't work in the cradle, only via USB cable

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
magas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6

How did you get the cable and the fsc code?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
icydeadpixels
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: White 320d M-Sport

sfax could you send those details to me too please?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #9
ioschi2003
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I have a 6NR retrofit. Will PM you the details when I have some more time. Works without 6NF but it won't work in the cradle, only via USB cable
Hi Sfax,

I have a X3 with 06NF(smartphone adapter), 06VC(Combox) and 0609 (Professional Navi) ,06NK
Can you help me ?
I wolud like to use ConnectDrive app with my Iphone 5 with Standard white apple cable.
How is possible to active 6NR option ? is it possibile ?
Thanks
Roberto
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 04:09 AM   #10
LesAshmore
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 2012 X3 F25

I don't know if anyone is still wanting these cables but these are the details and BMW part number for it, It is known in UK as "Y" cable for BMW + Iphone (Not 5 )

BMW Genuine In-Car iPod/iPhone Audio USB+AUX Adapter Cable Lead 61122338491

The Wifes 2007 325i Convertible Hard Top (electric roof) Full Package
Appreciate 0