BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

05-20-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
no relation between the two...just saying that neither of them are German caused...
I do agree with the fact that assembly requires an identical setup and that it should minimize the flaws from all aspects, but there is always human error involved...
Putting the BMW issue aside for a minute, is everyone now suddenly questioning my point and saying that US's production/assembly quality is NOT inferior in general????
....Yes.

Domestically companies like Ford have made great strides and are up there with the best.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ings-by-brand/

Last edited by Harplayr; 05-20-2011 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 12:00 PM   #24
bekind
Private
Rep
Drives: x3 35i

First gen X3s were made in Austria.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 12:28 PM   #25
Shaw
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 35d | 2019 X3 30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
....Yes.

Domestically companies like Ford have made great strides and are up there with the best.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...ings-by-brand/
sorry to disappoint you...but if you think the fords that are built in US are good, try the ones that are being maufactured in Europe... then you will see the difference!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #26
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwin View Post
Also seen that point a few times on this forum and find people badly biased about where the vehicle is assembled. I don't think SC plan is worst then other BMW plan in term of assembly. Today, engineer does not only need to design a good car but design a good assembly plan. You can put anybody in the assembly line and as long as it is well designed, the car will have quality. Look at Toyota/lexus, they have created a process and assembly line so strong that no matter Canadian/American/Mexican/Chinese, name it will be able to assemble the car with the exact same unsurpassed quality.

And to be back on the real subject, I think this is just a question of statistics, shipping thousands of parts will unfortunately run the stats against you and ship a part that will have a short life. Marspilot is the unfortunate
+1
      05-21-2011, 10:16 AM   #27
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
sorry to disappoint you...but if you think the fords that are built in US are good, try the ones that are being maufactured in Europe... then you will see the difference!!!
Can you provide any statistical evidence or are you just stating opinion?

I trust JD Power’s results to be about the most accurate available, but if you can provide other REAL evidence I would be happy to consider it. Or if you have some data showing that BMW’s assembled in the US are inferior to BMW’s assembled in Germany I’d like to see that too. I have an open mind about this.

On a personal observation, my last 2 BMW’s have been flawless as is my last Ford product. My last Subaru had to be lemoned.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2011, 01:56 PM   #28
jurdeb
Rep
Drives: X3

I have a question.Does anybody know if it is possible to have a power tailgate installed after taking delivery. This has been the one option I really miss after picking my 2.8 with Tech and Sports packages. Just wonder if it could be added later.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #29
Marspilot
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Update

The replacement motor did not show up as planned. Somehow Fedex or UPS diverted it somewhere else. It should arrive on Monday, and i will let you know how it went.
My dealer has been very good, and they gave me a really nice 328i to drive the whole time my X3 is in the shop.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #30
Marspilot
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Garage List
2017 M240i  [0.00]
Talking

Good news.

The new motor for the tailgate came in, and so far, so good.. it seems to work as it should.
My dealer added a super thin teflon tape on the upper window ledge to eliminate the creaking noise i was getting. I was told that this tape was first deployed to correct a very similar problem on 5 series cars. Apparently, the plastic part that is part of the frame flexes somewhat, event ever so slightly, and the teflon tape allows the play between it and the door to cooperate better.
This creaking condition has been noted by others especially when a climate change ocurs.
Thanks for everyone's support and interest. I'll keep you apprised how these fixes go.
Once again, my dealer was awesome!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2011, 05:25 AM   #31
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Great news!! Glad to hear that worked out well.
      05-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #32
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marspilot View Post
Update

The replacement motor did not show up as planned. Somehow Fedex or UPS diverted it somewhere else. It should arrive on Monday, and i will let you know how it went.
My dealer has been very good, and they gave me a really nice 328i to drive the whole time my X3 is in the shop.
Damn those US shipping companies, they should have used German owned DHL Express
Appreciate 0