BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-02-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 Z4 630iC

This is how easy they steal your car...

Advertised as "unstealable" by BMW, the top of the line cars are more easily stolen than a toyota.. the key from BMW is very easily copied, didn't know it was this easy.
Im very surprised that BMW still denies the fact that they have a security breach and that the OBD interface is located at an blind zone for the alarm...

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 08-02-2012 at 07:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Advertised as "unstealable" by BMW, the top of the line cars are more easily stolen than a toyota.. the key from BMW is very easily copied, didn't know it was this easy.
Im very surprised that BMW still denies the fact that they have a security breach and that the OBD interface is located at an blind zone for the alarm...

How could this be so easy- did BMW made it on purpose so that once your car is stolen you head to their dealerships again?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 08:13 AM   #3
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

My understanding is that this does not work on any of the F-generation models. Either way, it makes sense to get correct theft insurance so that you can get an appropriate replacement should this happen to you. Its what I did and I therefore never worried about a write-off due to anything.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 09:27 AM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3 View Post
My understanding is that this does not work on any of the F-generation models. Either way, it makes sense to get correct theft insurance so that you can get an appropriate replacement should this happen to you. Its what I did and I therefore never worried about a write-off due to anything.
On the whole “well, you needn’t worry if you have insurance” argument, obviously I agree that having insurance does mean you should get compensated and depending on the policy and the age of the car, you may even get what you paid for it instead of its market value.

But I know someone who had their car stolen and it took him months to get the money and he had to put up with the insurance company effectively accusing him of being negligent and threatening not to pay out, and then worrying about whether he’d get anything at all. When all that’s done and you’ve been driving around in a rubbish hire car for months, you have two new problems: 1. zero no claims bonus (yes, you might think it’s “protected” but check the small print on some policies) and 2. Higher premiums that ensue from having a £40k claim in your recent history.

So in summary, do everything you can to stop it being stolen and hope you never need the insurance

This story including the youtube links have been covered ad nauseum on loads of other threads. E.g.

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719133

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=685547

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688307

There is no evidence F series BMWs are affected by this as far as I am aware

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Read and weep...

BMW ignores this stating this can't be done....

http://vag-info.com/BMW%20Group%20products.htm

BMW key/transponder programming device via OBD II - 2004 - 2011
for
E60/ E61 /E63 /E64/ E65/ E70/ E71/ E87/ E90/ E91/ E92/ E93
More info and manual inquiry>>>
This new special device for BMW key and transponder programming for CAS module was developed to work via OBD II and also you can preprogram on site keys or transponders with the device as the device consists of a key programmer and Hi Tag programmer. With this new Device when you program the keys via OBD II, the existing/old keys will not be erased and you will be able to use them again. The Device will program the remote control automatically at all available freequencies for Europe, North/South America, Africa and ASIA. The Device is powered up from the OBD II connector of the car . The Device is very usefull for Auto Locksmiths, Auto engineers and Special Police Agencies!!

Price: 8000 EUR
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3andZ4owner View Post
Read and weep...
Who? Not sure how this is relevant. Of course you can buy equipment to reprogram keys. How else do you get new keys coded when you lose one? EU law says that non-BMW garages have to be able to provide this service. But it takes a lot longer to reprogram existing key slots than to just add a blank key to a free slot which is what the criminals are doing when they steal BMWs off people's driveways in 1 minute.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

Imagine how easy it is to break in to you home? Through window or door. And I bet you have more valuables at home than your BMW's value is.

So, who cares... everything is so easy to steal. You just have to rely on your society that there isn't too much of breaking in and stealing.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Its true.. when I first got a BMW I was paranoid about it, where I park it, making sure it was in the garage etc. When I got to my first M car even more.. then one day it was nicked from the drive after they broke into my house while i slept. Was a while before I went back to an M car, but I did.. and in the M cars I was always extra aware of being followed or scoped out because of what happened.

When considering the X3 or X5 I was worried about them being a highly desirable car to lift.. X5 more so.. much as I liked the 5, its too big for what I need, over my new budget an the options too expensive.

The X3 to me was a mini X5.. initially very worried about parking it.. it doesnt fit in the garage either so i have no choice for it to be on the drive. Insurance does not insist on a tracker.

If it gets nick, then .. it gets nicked, its one of those things for determined thieves no matter where they are from. If it got nicked, then I'd probably drop the BMW until I start to see better improvements.

While BMW may state that their cars meet requirements, which it does, they should be offering ways to update or amend the car to reduce the problem, and even if that was a chargable visit, it should be offered.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
X3andZ4owner
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post
Imagine how easy it is to break in to you home? Through window or door. And I bet you have more valuables at home than your BMW's value is.

So, who cares... everything is so easy to steal. You just have to rely on your society that there isn't too much of breaking in and stealing.
....And paint flowers on the wall...while everyone holds hands singing "Kumbaya my lord"...

Sincerely... It Depends on where you live... depends on society ... the police don't prioritize burglaries and car thefts.. Vigilante groups are illegal, basically you can only rely on yourself. And with the economic crisis in Europe the worst is yet to come. In Greece the middle-class is buying illegal weapons from the Balkan war in the backstreets of Athens to protect their properties, just to give you a hint on whats going on in Europe..
I know Finland has fairly low crime rates , probably because your police is efficient and other factors also which I won't go into but for the rest of Europe the same can not be said.."No go zones" in Europe are growing by the month, UK, France , Spain, Italy , The Netherlands and Belgium will have their internal problems in the time to come ( <10 yrs) so will also the USA. Recession will last for 15 yrs.. This is my most optimistic prediction ;-)

I can rely on the security in my home, I have to rely on BMW for the security of my car both accident-wise and antitheft-wise , that they deliver what they state in their advertisements....

Last edited by X3andZ4owner; 08-02-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0