BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Nav Traffic Glitch UK

Anyone else find that the live traffic colour coding is showing on the opposite side of the road to where it should be? ie if your side of the road is clear but the other side is jammed, it shows red on your side and green for the other side.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 04:11 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Someone else posted the same issue in the US. I think if you change the scale it corrects itself. There is another thread somewhere about it. I assume this is only for RTTI data as I get the colour coded roads (with no RTTI) but haven't noticed the problem

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:07 AM   #3
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Someone else posted the same issue in the US. I think if you change the scale it corrects itself. There is another thread somewhere about it. I assume this is only for RTTI data as I get the colour coded roads (with no RTTI) but haven't noticed the problem
Thanks for the response. I tried changing the scale of the map but it did not seem to fix the problem. Will try again next time I manage to get out on the road.

I think I have now found the thread you refer to, but it went off on a tangent about other Nav glitches and all I could glean was that the traffic issue appeared to affect only post September 2012 build cars.

Also, when you say you have colour coded roads with no RTTI, what does the colour coding refer to if not traffic?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco

Thanks for the response. I tried changing the scale of the map but it did not seem to fix the problem. Will try again next time I manage to get out on the road.

I think I have now found the thread you refer to, but it went off on a tangent about other Nav glitches and all I could glean was that the traffic issue appeared to affect only post September 2012 build cars.

Also, when you say you have colour coded roads with no RTTI, what does the colour coding refer to if not traffic?

I'm actually not sure. My production date was way before RTTI but I did get an idrive update but this was also prior to RTTI's release - my idrive menu changed a bit and the nav did too. I don't have as much colour coding as you see in the RTTI brochure but in towns I regularly get roads in red and amber representing traffic. I assume it's the standard traffic info that doesn't update as regularly and doesn't contain as much data as RTTI.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco

I'm actually not sure. My production date was way before RTTI but I did get an idrive update but this was also prior to RTTI's release - my idrive menu changed a bit and the nav did too. I don't have as much colour coding as you see in the RTTI brochure but in towns I regularly get roads in red and amber representing traffic. I assume it's the standard traffic info that doesn't update as regularly and doesn't contain as much data as RTTI.
Sounds similar to RTTI. Maybe you dont get the incident descriptions or something.

Checked again today and it is showing on the wrong side of the road at all zoom levels it seems. Have emailed the dealer but no response as yet. Seems very few others are experiencing or noticing the issue.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #6
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Sounds similar to RTTI. Maybe you dont get the incident descriptions or something.

Checked again today and it is showing on the wrong side of the road at all zoom levels it seems. Have emailed the dealer but no response as yet. Seems very few others are experiencing or noticing the issue.
Hi Sco, I have noticed this but not investigated any further. I presume if I know where there is some bad traffic I should be able to see it, without having to drive in to it :-|
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Anyone else find that the live traffic colour coding is showing on the opposite side of the road to where it should be? ie if your side of the road is clear but the other side is jammed, it shows red on your side and green for the other side.
Are you having the same issues as some F30 users?

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781877

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775757

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=773450

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Second link is the same problem. Johnbmw6 (ex 35d owner) getting all shitty again

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #9
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Yup - That's precisely the problem. Which I believe is also affecting the dynamic guidance which re-routes to avoid non-existent traffic as a result.

A further glitch I have noticed is that there is a particular road in my neighbourhood which is permanently amber even though it is always completely clear in both directions.

Still waiting for a response from the dealer. If they cannot fix this bug does that mean I am entitled to some money back!?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 07:24 AM   #10
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yup - That's precisely the problem. Which I believe is also affecting the dynamic guidance which re-routes to avoid non-existent traffic as a result.

A further glitch I have noticed is that there is a particular road in my neighbourhood which is permanently amber even though it is always completely clear in both directions.

Still waiting for a response from the dealer. If they cannot fix this bug does that mean I am entitled to some money back!?
Question- how many people have got money back from Microsoft or Apple for software issues? Same will apply to BMW. You might get a fix just as you're about to replace the car.
BUT- if you get lucky with BMW please let us all know.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #11
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Question- how many people have got money back from Microsoft or Apple for software issues? Same will apply to BMW. You might get a fix just as you're about to replace the car.
BUT- if you get lucky with BMW please let us all know.
With Microsoft and Apple the things you are referring to are usually peripheral glitches rather than a fundamental problem with key functionality. If I bought an Apple Iphone and the web browser did not work then I would expect them to immediately repair or replace the phone. I would not expect them to do this just because of the occasional crash as I have paid for hardware and a multitude of other software apps as part of the price.

If I spend a couple of grand on a the optional pro sat nav with dynamic guidance based on RTTI and the RTTI and dynamic guidance do not work then I would also expect a refund on that option if they cannot fix it. Apart from the sale of goods act they would surely be in breach of warranty.

I will let you know how I fare when I finally hear back from the dealer. I am giving them a bit of grace as it is Christmas I suppose. Would be good to hear if many others are also seeing traffic jams on the opposite side of the road to where they actually are.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Would be good to hear if many others are also seeing traffic jams on the opposite side of the road to where they actually are.
Unfortunately all the roads in my area are green at the moment, and I don't fancy going out to look for a traffic jam. I'll keep an eye out for the problem in the next few days. I wonder if this issue is due to the UK driving on the left, and the Sat Nav putting the traffic info on the right by mistake?
I'm off to France mid Jan so should know then!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:23 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Unfortunately all the roads in my area are green at the moment, and I don't fancy going out to look for a traffic jam. I'll keep an eye out for the problem in the next few days. I wonder if this issue is due to the UK driving on the left, and the Sat Nav putting the traffic info on the right by mistake?
I'm off to France mid Jan so should know then!
No, someone posted this problem in the US too

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
With Microsoft and Apple the things you are referring to are usually peripheral glitches rather than a fundamental problem with key functionality. If I bought an Apple Iphone and the web browser did not work then I would expect them to immediately repair or replace the phone. I would not expect them to do this just because of the occasional crash as I have paid for hardware and a multitude of other software apps as part of the price.

If I spend a couple of grand on a the optional pro sat nav with dynamic guidance based on RTTI and the RTTI and dynamic guidance do not work then I would also expect a refund on that option if they cannot fix it. Apart from the sale of goods act they would surely be in breach of warranty.

I will let you know how I fare when I finally hear back from the dealer. I am giving them a bit of grace as it is Christmas I suppose. Would be good to hear if many others are also seeing traffic jams on the opposite side of the road to where they actually are.
I would normally agree re. Apple but no refunds forthcoming for iOS6 which is atrocious.

Definitely complain and make sure you make out that it's absolutely crucial to you that it works properly and it was one of the main reasons you wanted a new car that had RTTI.

You should at least get some compensation but don't expect them to fix it any time soon. There are quite a few bugs on iDrive that they still haven't fixed years later.

Also, have they fixed the arrow staying stuck on your dash after you reach your destination? I'm guessing no. Only way to get rid of it to start and stop guidance. Poor.

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2012, 10:57 AM   #15
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I would normally agree re. Apple but no refunds forthcoming for iOS6 which is atrocious.

Definitely complain and make sure you make out that it's absolutely crucial to you that it works properly and it was one of the main reasons you wanted a new car that had RTTI.

You should at least get some compensation but don't expect them to fix it any time soon. There are quite a few bugs on iDrive that they still haven't fixed years later.

Also, have they fixed the arrow staying stuck on your dash after you reach your destination? I'm guessing no. Only way to get rid of it to start and stop guidance. Poor.
Nope. I was not sure whether that was a glitch or some other functionality I had not understood properly. This is a good example of my above point though. I can live with glitches (even on a premium car's premium nav package), but it's when key functionality does not work that I get annoyed. I can even live with the emails on iOS not coming through on iDrive Office, given that it was a relatively cheap option.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
ewwimbledon
Rep
Drives: Z4

I recently bought a Z4 with Nav system, took delivery in early December. One of the first problems I have encountered especially over the holidays is that the traffic maps are back to front. At first I thought this was because the car was from Germany...! Annoyingly when you zoom the map in very close up, the lines often swap sides and are then correct. It is very confusing, and annoying, as you never know if the jam is in your way. I have found however that the suggested detours do work and sense the jams in the route. I have emailed my dealer and am waiting to hear back.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
ewwimbledon
Rep

Sco - did you manage to resolve this? I am going to phone the service place but wondered if you had been able to sort it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #18
Sco
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewwimbledon View Post
Sco - did you manage to resolve this? I am going to phone the service place but wondered if you had been able to sort it.
Afraid not. I booked it in with the service department at the dealer I bought the car from only to discover that its service department is situated 30 minutes further away. I had to cancel. We just had our first child and so I do not really have time to resolve this at the moment, but I am still keen to do so at the first opportunity as it is really not acceptable.

I would be interested to hear how you get on if you get there first and you wouldn't mind updating the thread. I figure that if they don't resolve the problem or compensate this would be a good one for Watchdog given it is such a ridiculous bug for a premium vehicle's premium system.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
ewwimbledon
Rep

My car is booked into the service centre for next Friday 15th so I'll let you know how I get on. I drive into central london quite a lot in the morning so it is pretty clear to me now that the maps are back to front (ie stuck in traffic on the embankment going into town with a green colour while the other side of the road - which has no traffic whatsoever going away from town - is showing red!). I am going to print this thread and take it with me because I am worried they won't believe me.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
Bollinger
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M SPORT AUTO

Would be interested to hear out come as I thought it was just me and my dodgy eyes !!! Problem shows up every day on M25 road works
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #21
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I was disappointed to be too early to get RTTI but reading this I'm glad I don't have RTTM (unless you can switch it off). Prefer my setup with road works and accidents only, no traffic flow, rather than having completely wrong traffic flow.

Don't expect a fix any time soon either. They still haven't fixed satnav bugs that were reported 2 years ago (like the arrow that won't go away after you reach your destination).

Oh, and if you load music onto the HDD, does it still play album songs in alphabetical order rather than the correct order? Hopeless. Designed by people who have never used an mp3 player. So simple to fix but as far as I can see, they never fix anything

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
ewwimbledon
Rep

Update on this. Took my car in today (15/2/13) and the service centre have informed me that it is a known fault within BMW. They are apparently working on a software update which will not be available until May or June this year.

When I get time I will be writing to BMW about compensation.
Appreciate 0