BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #23
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

People have said it's not possible to program the car to always stay in Sports or Sports+ mode after you shut down.

Is it possible to stay in default mode but adjust the suspension as desired and have that setting remain on all the time?

I got this from another post. Great description of features, although it doesn't answer my question.
----------------------------------------

Sports Activity Package with Dynamic Handling Package

If you get the SAP and the DHP together, you not only get aforementioned Dynamic Drive Control, but you also get Variable Sport Steering, which variably adjusts the steering ratio depending upon your speed (something I don't love but hey, it works damn near perfect). But wait, there's more! You also get the option to control the accuracy and responsiveness of your steering, brakes, and suspension in addition to the Performance Control engine settings. And you can decide whether you want Sport to change drivetrain settings, chassis settings, or both via iDrive. The names for this vary globally: Dynamic Damper Control, Variable Damper Control, Dynamic Chassis Control, Variable Chassis Control, Adaptive Damper Control, etc. Stay in Normal and your suspension will be characteristic of a very stiff, nimble Lexus. Ordering the DHP allows you to delete the sport suspension via the Normal mode. That's not a bad thing if the ground is insufferably rough. If you selected that Sport should change both chassis and drivetrain: the drivetrain settings will be the same as described above with the SAP but no DHP. But your chassis settings: your suspension stiffens and the car becomes more nimble almost like a 3-series wagon, the steering tightens for increased responsiveness, and your brakes stiffen but become more responsive as well. Going into Sport+ also offers the same drivetrain settings as described above, but you do not have the option to alter the Sport+ dynamic settings.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 04:36 PM   #24
mspringer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i M-Sport/DHP

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
No, normal mode is not programmable.

Marty
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:16 PM   #25
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

What is so difficult about pressing one button? You fire the truck up. You press the Sport button. Then you hit D and off you go. Do you need a team of Vestal Virgins to lick the Sport button into place for you?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:36 PM   #26
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
What is so difficult about pressing one button? You fire the truck up. You press the Sport button. Then you hit D and off you go. Do you need a team of Vestal Virgins to lick the Sport button into place for you?
Couldn't agree more
      09-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #27
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

Sometimes it's not about difficulty, but about convenience. How hard was it to flush that toilet in that public urinal? Now it flushes by itself. Making things convenient for ourselves is one way civilization can measure progress. otherwise you would still be peeing on a tree.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #28
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Yes, from Le Chef’s description I think either he’s pulling your leg, or hasn’t driven one. I find the standard suspension a bit on the soft side FOR A BMW, but much better than just about any other suv. It sucks up the bumps quite well, corners well and generally is very well behaved. If you want to run cones in competition, then it’s probably not your cup of tea. Just about every review complements BMW on the vast improvement in ride quality over the previous generation.

The posts are going to be quite subjective and will vary from bouncy house to Flintstone mobile on rails jarring your teeth going over every expansion joint.

I owned 2 first generation X3's, now own a 2011 F25 and think the standard suspension is a VAST improvement over the prior generation.

My suggestion is to drive one and find out for yourself.
Agreed ride is subjective. But comparing a F25 to a Lexus, Mercedes, or even an E83 does have some quantitative information.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
no problem. my answer is based off of the fact that my dad has a 2011 X3 35i with 18" all seasons and I have the X3 35i with 19" staggered summer performance, with lots of spirited driving in both. My X3 grips the road, is firm, but not at all harsh - buy the 19s with the summer tires and you will be happy (my dad's X3 is for old people or ladies - just kidding and not meant to offend anyone). plus, I own a X5 35d with sport package, Z435i with sport package and 19s, and have owned 4 other BMWs, including a 2001 M Coupe that I should have never sold (I am an idiot).
I gather the performance tires are not an OEM option for 2012 (all-season only).
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 06:55 PM   #30
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillychan View Post
Sometimes it's not about difficulty, but about convenience. How hard was it to flush that toilet in that public urinal? Now it flushes by itself. Making things convenient for ourselves is one way civilization can measure progress. otherwise you would still be peeing on a tree.
You mean we're not....?!
      09-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #31
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
You mean we're not....?!
Considering how many features we can customize, set & profile, not being able to save DHP options is dissapointing.

I also agree about the pee'ing thing. This summer on 2 occasions I saw people peeing on a major, extremely congested road (Rt. 1). They didn't use bushes, or go inside one of the thousand strip malls that line both sides of the road. They were pee'ing in the middle of the sidewalk in full view of hundreds of people. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #32
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

LOL!! The thread went from suspension to peeing...
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:27 PM   #33
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I really like the X3 but I am almost certain this car was aimed at the ladies for greater sales versus the "ultimate driving machine" philosophy. My proof: really soft steering (even in sport+ mode), cushy ride, non-traditional location for trunk latch and cruise control that mimics other american kid haulers, and the list goes on . . . On the updside - the sport seats are a huge improvement over my X5's and Z4's sport seats in overall comfort, the 8 speed transmission is awesome, and the motor is pretty sweet with good throttle response.

Maybe I should upgrade the springs - what is on the market???
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 07:30 PM   #34
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penso di no View Post
I gather the performance tires are not an OEM option for 2012 (all-season only).
wow - when I ordered my X3 in early April, when you went with the 19s you could only get the summer performance tires. they are really great and they look super cool with the low profile and heavily rounded shoulder (Bridgestones)
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 08:54 PM   #35
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
I really like the X3 but I am almost certain this car was aimed at the ladies for greater sales versus the "ultimate driving machine" philosophy. My proof: really soft steering (even in sport+ mode), cushy ride, non-traditional location for trunk latch and cruise control that mimics other american kid haulers, and the list goes on . . . On the updside - the sport seats are a huge improvement over my X5's and Z4's sport seats in overall comfort, the 8 speed transmission is awesome, and the motor is pretty sweet with good throttle response.

You should upgrade your attitude. Give hte "ladies car" bit a rest. My lady can out drive you without wasting a thought and isn't looking for light steering to do it (she's not wild about changing tires, though). Then try driving the car and adjust your errant assessment.
      09-06-2011, 08:57 PM   #36
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Hmmmm, would there be a package for that?
      09-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #37
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:

You're being funny, right?
      09-06-2011, 09:37 PM   #38
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Hmmmm, would there be a package for that?
Yeah, but it's only available on Individual and you can't afford it.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #39
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep

Quote:

Wait, we're talking about the X3 here, right? IT'S A FREAKING SUV! If Sport+ is too soft for you, YOU BOUGHT THE WRONG FREAKING CAR! WTF does the trunk latch have to do with it? Or cruise control? Those are just girly-man features anyway, right?

Oh, wait. Were you joking?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #40
chillychan
Second Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep

http://www.bmwblog.com/2011/07/02/bm...-ac-schnitzer/

Last edited by chillychan; 09-06-2011 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: add more info
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:35 PM   #41
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

I actually have the Vestal Virgins help me pee out of the tree. And it's all possible through pre-programed settings and a remote controller called Lazy Boy. Just imagine that - how convenient!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2011, 10:45 PM   #42
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep

you guys/gals crack me up. I love the X3 or would not have bought it and I test drove the 28i and 35i quite a bit before ordering the 35i. yes, tongue in cheek but mildly true about the soft steering compared to the X5 and Z4.

now, in response to the "my wife can out drive you . . ." bit above - probably, and who cares as I do not take myself that seriously and refuse to hang out with those that do. btw, my wife can out shoot and out drink you, plus she is way hotter than your girl
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 02:27 AM   #43
Penso di no
lapsed
Rep

Quote:
... btw, my wife can out shoot and out drink you, plus she is way hotter than your girl
See now, where I grew up, that kind of a statement has a natural response involving agreement confirmed by experience, comparison to your mother, etc. But I won't go there.

That's quite a schnitzer you have there, chilly. [that kind of statement could get you in trouble in my neighborhood, too]

Motor on...
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2011, 04:18 AM   #44
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep