BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: C63

Close to biting on the X3 35i M - yay or nay?

Obviously a biased audience but want to hear your thoughts. Wife deciding between X1 and X3. If we do the X3 we're going M sport 35i. A few questions:

- It seems an almost certainty given BMW's lifecycle refreshes that the 2014 will be changed. Dealer says they think the spy shots are bogus and 2014 will be the same (of course). Thoughts?

- Any regrets on things you didnt get that you wish you did, or things you did get you wish you didnt?

- Lease vs finance - these X's seem to hold their value pretty well, making leases less attractive. Thoughts?

- Target price - looks like ~$500 above invoice is a fair target. So if MSRP is $55k roughly, and invoice is $51k, that should be about what I'm shooting for correct? Anyone have tips to get more? I have no team drive discount, USAA, college grad, or loyalty unfortunately so just leveraging holiday cash and whatever else I can come up with.

- Considered Q5, XC60-R, GLK - any regrets for those who chose the X3 over the competition?

Anything else we should know?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 x35i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Obviously a biased audience but want to hear your thoughts. Wife deciding between X1 and X3. If we do the X3 we're going M sport 35i. A few questions:

- It seems an almost certainty given BMW's lifecycle refreshes that the 2014 will be changed. Dealer says they think the spy shots are bogus and 2014 will be the same (of course). Thoughts?

- Any regrets on things you didnt get that you wish you did, or things you did get you wish you didnt?

- Lease vs finance - these X's seem to hold their value pretty well, making leases less attractive. Thoughts?

- Target price - looks like ~$500 above invoice is a fair target. So if MSRP is $55k roughly, and invoice is $51k, that should be about what I'm shooting for correct? Anyone have tips to get more? I have no team drive discount, USAA, college grad, or loyalty unfortunately so just leveraging holiday cash and whatever else I can come up with.

- Considered Q5, XC60-R, GLK - any regrets for those who chose the X3 over the competition?

Like you said, a biased audience.
      12-18-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

In red below
Quote:

I expect any changes will be limited to colour options, refresh of front/rear facia, and a 2.0L diesel option.

rear camera @ $700 seemed like a rip off at the time considering they are included as standard equipment on Hyundai's now. I should have spent the money in retrospect... But really? A camera optional equipment on a $50-60k car????

I used my line of credit which was cheaper and more flexible than the factory financing.

no regrets what so ever on the purchase decision. I test drove all of the competition before buying my first bimmer... Drove my wife nuts but I didn't want to regret a purchase of this magnitude.

12-18-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 lci 335xi

Garage List
whatever you do dont get a glk
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilewarriorz View Post
whatever you do dont get a glk
Why not? Just curious. I have a C300 (and I know others with C350) and they are quite reliable.
      12-18-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Why not? Just curious. I have a C300 (and I know others with C350) and they are quite reliable.
my girlfriends brother has a c300 its a great car, and the glk is not the ugliest car but its so small inside and although the updated tails look nice, overall it still looks a little weird
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
noka
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by missilewarriorz View Post
my girlfriends brother has a c300 its a great car, and the glk is not the ugliest car but its so small inside and although the updated tails look nice, overall it still looks a little weird
I would agree about the looks. At least to me, it did look a little 'boxy'. I also didn't like the move MB has made to place the shifter on the steering column (like BMW started with the 7-series). I had a 750i and it was my least favorite feature. Not sure about the GLK interior size because I haven't sat in one.
      12-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I really like this car. I don't miss the high beam assist, kinda wish I'd gotten the HUD thingy. Would've gone for the M-sport and the 6NR had they been available. Wouldn't loose any of the other features (which I think were all except HUD and high beam). Most of that stuff is kinda of a must for me -- not that I wouldn't drive a car without them without problem, but I use them, enjoy them, and see value in them. To me, the 35i is worth it, not needed, but produce enough smiles that it's worth the dollars if they're available to you.
      12-18-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Have you test driven both an X1 and an X3? Certainly size and finish the X3 is much much nicer...

Love my Comfort Access (including automatic tailgate), Xenons, DHP, Winter Package (including heated steering wheel), reversing camera (especially in the Uk where parking can be tight).

Was very tempted by a Q5 several times, but the X3 was so the right decision (no way would a X1 have worked, might have appreciated he extra space on the X5 but it didn't drive as well).

Love my decision to get an M Sport instead of an SE - looks so much "sharper"
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Bmwlvr60
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 528ix  [0.00]
2013 BMX X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:

Biased audience- me included. If you love driving and the feel of the road, the BMW slogan is dead on. The others don't compare.

The X1 is a fun car to drive. It definitely drives totally like a car and not an SUV. The X3 drives better than any SUV I've ever driven, but feels more like a SUV than a car. The X1 would not be as good for hauling your stuff around and my wife was used to an MDX, so going to the X3 wasn't as big of a leap. In the end we wanted the extra storage space.

No regrets on package add ons. HUD is only one I didn't want. Glad I picked all the ones I did.

$500 over invoice is a good number to reach. You may need to get quotes from several other dealers to make this happen.

Leasing works if you're only going to put 10K miles/year on it and you want a new vehicle every 3 years and are willing to pay for that privilege. 10K-15K/year maybe works. Bottom line with leasing is that it's not as good of an investment, but a new car/SUV every 3 years is a luxury some will pay for.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
rmbs16
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
If you love leasing is that it's not as good of an investment
Buying a car is not an investment either. I would consider purchasing a car an investment only when you will be driving 5-6k miles and the car can last for about 15 years and 100k miles. I will do it when I retire, buy my dream car and keep it to the (my or car's) end.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
SamS
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 Perf + '18 X3 M40i

Quote:
LCI will be for MY2015.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
BeeMdblU
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: F86, F25, G16

50/50 between Q5 and X3 but Q5 is better priced
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
kskpsu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M; E90 M3 ZCP; M4 GTS

Garage List
'11 BMW 1M  [9.83]
Only thing that can capture my attention other than our M-Sport is if Audi brings the SQ5 to the states with all it's diesel goodness. Even the wife gets giddy when the M 310 wheels go on in the summer. Primary decision for going M-Sport back in '11 was to get body color trim all around and carbon black...no regrets.
      12-18-2012, 10:22 PM   #15
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i GT

Quote:
...It seems an almost certainty given BMW's lifecycle refreshes that the 2014 will be changed. Dealer says they think the spy shots are bogus and 2014 will be the same (of course). Thoughts?...
Do some searching on BMW x3 LCI". I think you'll find BMW already announced that a new navigation system with substantial upgrades to the hardware and software will be in the MY 2014 X3.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #16
PeteX3MWhite
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35 M SPort

Got a 2013 3.5 with the M sport package 2 months ago. Regret not getting one with DHP, upgraded audio, or HUD. Do like the comfort access. Auto rear door is great. Wouldn't get one without the M package - the body colored trim of the M and the more aggressive front give the vehicle a sporty look.

Drove the competition you are looking at. I preferred the look of the XC60R but didn't like how it rode (and the seats were a little tight on my larger than it should be backside). I did like the electronic gizmos. Also on the downside, the Volvo depreciates rapidly (a CPO 2012 XC60R can be found for high $30's). The Audi felt slow and the interior too reminiscent of A4's of old, the styling too blobbish.

Truth be told, I had my mind set on the XC60R and was ready to buy one in the M+M blue color, when I drove the X3 on a lark (the BMW dealer was nearby). I was sold in a minute on the test drive in the X3 because the ride is better and the engine / 8 speed transmission felt smoother than the XC60R. There's a Polestar upgrade for the XC60R that is free that boosts the HP also. And the interior is nice. The seats, with contrasting colors, look great. I had a Volvo S80 and it was great, I'm a big fan of the cars.

It may be an illusion but the large console in the X3 (with the fine line wood) gives a sense that the interior is bigger than the other cars. Of course, my right leg rubs against it.

I'm getting tired of the stigma that the X3 is for wives / women. I had Boxster S a while back and people always had to point out that it wasn't a real Porsche. It gets annoying having to explain the car (no, it looks cool now, not like the old ones, its as big as the original X5, it has the same engine as the 335, etc).

I wouldn't consider an X1. It looks like an ugly station wagon. I'd go with a 3 series wagon with Xdrive over that or an Audi A3. Same goes for the GLK (ugly, looks like an old Subaru to me). If I went MB, the ML is the way to go. But it gets pricey when you option the vehicle properly. MB does offer a solid diesel too.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

This all helps a lot, thanks folks. For those with black interior, does it get crazy hot in warmer climates? Debating between black or mojave (brown/gray) wife concerned black will get super hot to the touch unless we tint everything dark. From the bimmers I've owned in the past I remember that Nevada leather doesn't heat up and get scorching like other leather. Right/wrong? What's your experience?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #18
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This all helps a lot, thanks folks. For those with black interior, does it get crazy hot in warmer climates? Debating between black or mojave (brown/gray) wife concerned black will get super hot to the touch unless we tint everything dark. From the bimmers I've owned in the past I remember that Nevada leather doesn't heat up and get scorching like other leather. Right/wrong? What's your experience?
I've had beige leather in the last two cars (Texas and So Fla) and it is uncomfortable for my wife so it doesn't matter I think (black may be a tad worse but any color is going to be uncomfortable). I keep a rag handy to throw on the seat until the interior cools down.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:10 AM   #19
Andrewe92
enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
I would agree about the looks. At least to me, it did look a little 'boxy'. I also didn't like the move MB has made to place the shifter on the steering column (like BMW started with the 7-series). I had a 750i and it was my least favorite feature. Not sure about the GLK interior size because I haven't sat in one.
yeah man boxy is the word i would use it doesnt have a flowing body shape, and yeah the shifter position would bother me too. and trust me its pretty tight inside. the audi on the other hand isnt that bad.. its tough of course your asking a different crowd lol
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2012, 10:28 AM   #20
Schmed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E70X5, F25X3

If the X1 works for you size-wize, and you enjoy driving a sports car, I'd take a good look at the X1.

I made the right choice with the X3 in my case, but it doesn't quite handle as well as I had hoped. The X1, in theory, would feel a bit more planted and sporty.
      12-20-2012, 06:14 PM   #21
rory breaker
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
LCI will be for MY2015.
Are you certain? Thought it was coming out next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
ErnestHouse
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

There's a thread on the LCI:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758374
Appreciate 0