BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #1
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

X3 came with tires possibly already "run flat"?

Is it possible for a dealership to reset the system so that tires that have been "run flat" are installed and appear to be fully functioning tires?

Here is the story:

I bought a gently used x3 with 16k km on it.

When I first got the car I left the dealership and I got on the highway, I got a message that there is an issue with tire pressure I went right back to the dealership they reset it - and everything was fine ever since.

FlashForward a year and I go to put on my winter tires for the first time and my local tire guy says "do you want to keep these tires two are run flat and one has a nail in it."

With my previous BMW I got a notification anytime my tires had any issue. No issues, except for that first day this time. NONE.

So am I right to assume that the only solutions are:

A) my system has an issue and is not reporting tire pressure issues

Or

B) they sold me a car with 2 or 3 bad tires on it and reset the sensor/system to treat that as the base. Is that even possible?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 04:06 PM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Local Tire says 2 are RFT. Are the other 2 Non-RFT? They should all be the same.
Nail, if it punctured the tire it would leak, I would assume it is newly acquired nail rather than from a year ago.

Your TPMS should display 4 green wheels,(Communication Info Display) if not your instrument panel should give an orange color wheel with a check message low Tire Pressure.

Going forward, check your tire pressure, door jam recommends 32/35 F/R. Reset your TFM/TPMS to those levels.

I doubt dealer reset as low Tire pressure and or delivered bad tires, otherwise you would feel the ride soft and tires would show wear at edges. I doubt you would have got a years use with bad tires. Also very unsafe to drive at highway speeds with low pressure as emergency maneuvering is compromised.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks for the reply.

Local tire reported all were the same Pirelli run flats, but that 2 had been "run flat" and a third had a nail in it.

I don't know if it is psychological but my ride definitely feels better, softer, when I go over bumps then it ever has. But maybe it's just the 4 new tires.

I guess I just found it weird that my status never reported a problem. I did check about 1 month before I had my winters put on.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #4
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

It's possible - but sounds like a tire guy selling tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSurf
It's possible - but sounds like a tire guy selling tires.
Perhaps, except I have them (the damaged ones), and my new snow tires are on my car. So he hasn't got a sale yet.

Bottom line is, there were 3 bad tires on my car and I had now clue... Just thought that was odd.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 03:10 AM   #6
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I think this is one where you will just have to accept it and move on :

The car you bought is an used vehicle with 16k on it. I assume it was preowned and not the dealers own car.

Even if it wasn't and was used as a dealer lease or loaner they would have no control/knowledge of what the user did with it.

The likely scenario is that the previous owner traded the car back in with the run flat tyres

All the dealer would do is visually check the outside of the tyres for tread depth and damage. The evidence of being run flat would only be visible on dismounting from the rim and checking the inside of the tyre. This would not be reasonable to check on every used car.

The nail ? Well that could of happened anytime.

I had similar with an Audi a few years ago. Some months after I bought it as an ex demo bulges appeRed on the side walls. The tyre place said that it had probably been driven hard over a speed hump .. Ended up buying four new tyres

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 04:28 AM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

How long was the gap between buying the car and noticing?
Time and mileage?

Also, the nail might not set the sensor off as it may well be plugging the hole it has made, no air escaping.

If you only picked it up recently I would call the dealership and say that the tyres are not only not usable but reading up they are also dangerous, can cause blow outs. Explain that you understand they would not have known this, but you do want them to supply you with two tyres that are 'safe'.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep

I am willing to accept that the nail could have been anytime.

It has been a year and 20k KMs. That's. a long time, and a lot of mileage.

The car came from the GMs father, it was a year old with low mileage and "well looked after" which is why I went for the deal.

I guess I just assumed there would be a full inspection on the car, but I realize that ultimately it was my responsibility.

I just wanted to know, in the opinion of others if it was possible that I had been driving on damaged tires for a year...

Thanks again for all the replies.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 05:13 PM   #9
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM View Post

The car came from the GMs father, it was a year old with low mileage and "well looked after" which is why I went for the deal.

I guess I just assumed there would be a full inspection on the car, but I realize that ultimately it was my responsibility.

I just wanted to know, in the opinion of others if it was possible that I had been driving on damaged tires for a year...

I assume you have been checking pressures regularly since buying the vehicle. Adjusting if necessary and resetting the TPMS each occasion.

Is it possible you are the one who has been running on tires which were partially flat????

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:24 AM   #10
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:

I assume you have been checking pressures regularly since buying the vehicle. Adjusting if necessary and resetting the TPMS each occasion.

Is it possible you are the one who has been running on tires which were partially flat????

HighlandPete
No I have not checked. I did regular maintenance through dealer but that is all. I guess I miss understood how the technology worked.

I assumed it would warn me when the run flat technology was triggered (as it did the one and only time it happened to me before with my 328).
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 08:40 AM   #11
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

It is possible the tyres had been "run flat" and repaired. This is allowed depending where the repair is. I had a nail in one tyre for over 2 weeks before I got it repaired. No loss of pressure and not an issue.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 09:08 AM   #12
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:

Obviously, the car was not well looked after since it had 2 non-runflat tires and two runflat tires. I think the dealer had to known about the non-runflats tires since they probably install it and the Perilli P7 are clearly labeled run flat on the sidewall. That mis-information by the dealer about the two non-runflat could be a safety issue, did they at least put the two non-runflats on the same axle? I would talk to the dealer about that and express your concerns about selling you a car that is ill equipped. As far as the nail is concerned, I had a few instance where I had small nails in my tires, some kind of went in side ways and the tire held pressure.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 03:02 PM   #13
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Obviously, the car was not well looked after since it had 2 non-runflat tires and two runflat tires. I think the dealer had to known about the non-runflats tires since they probably install it and the Perilli P7 are clearly labeled run flat on the sidewall. That mis-information by the dealer about the two non-runflat could be a safety issue, did they at least put the two non-runflats on the same axle? I would talk to the dealer about that and express your concerns about selling you a car that is ill equipped. As far as the nail is concerned, I had a few instance where I had small nails in my tires, some kind of went in side ways and the tire held pressure.
In post #3 the OP states they were all Pirelli run-flats. The issue as I read it, the OP's comments are two tires are said to have been "run-flat".

Then there is the comment the tire pressures have not been checked by the user. I'm not sure what this means, possibly run for months on low pressure?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 04:33 PM   #14
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
No I have not checked. I did regular maintenance through dealer but that is all. I guess I miss understood how the technology worked.

I assumed it would warn me when the run flat technology was triggered (as it did the one and only time it happened to me before with my 328).
You have no complaint then, as it could well have been yourself who has caused the damage.

Problem with run flats is you can't see when the pressure gets low enough to cause damage to the sidewall.
On a regular tyre if you drop to say 24psi you will notice it when walking passed, not on a run flat.
Still need to check your pressures every month if you don't have TPMS fitted, and I think in Canada you get the same as in the UK where it warns you of sudden loss of pressure based on a change of rotation speed from the wheel sensors, bit the actual pressures they are at like on US cars?
Appreciate 0