BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-07-2011, 05:41 AM   #1
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Radio presets no longer default from steering wheel?

Normally I access my Sat presets through the steering wheel. About a week ago I used the idrive menu to scroll to a different Sat channel. Well, for some reason my steering wheel channel 'scroller thingy' keeps defaulting to the giant 200 channel satellite directory. Through idrive everything works fine and, if I go back through the menu to set 'Presets' the thumb wheel on the steering wheel will scroll through presets. My idrive menu setting is selected as 'presets' when I shut the car off. At start, the thumb wheel goes back to the whole list. Somehow for the prior 8 months my presets were happily accessed through the thumb wheel. Now, it doesn't until I go back to the drive menu and access 'presets' once despite the fact the radio seems to already be in the 'presets' function. What the heck? Anybody else experience this? How do I change it? I scrolled all through the idrive menu and options but saw nothing I could set...
      12-07-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
drtdvl
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Sedan, X3 35i, Tacoma

I posted a similar problem awhile back about this as well. My presets would disappear after switching from my iPod.

The problem went away after i took my X3 on a longer drive - say 45 minutes. After that drive, my presets came back and i didnt have the issue anymore.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

I think I get something similar where on the steering wheel control, the list starts right at the top alphabetically of all radio stations (DAB which is digital radio in the UK). It's actually playing the correct station but it makes difficult to change because the list is exhaustive rather than just my presets. Never looked into why/how it's happening as I only tend to listen to one station but will check it out

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #4
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

I looked at this again and mine always stays on presets if that's where it was left (scroll wheel and iDrive). Is everything else being saved to your profile OK?

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:50 PM   #5
MikeBimmer
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

All normal user settings stay in place - it's only the thumb wheel. No matter how I leave the car when I turn it off the function of the thumb wheel defaults to an entire list rather than radio presets. Have driven car on multiple long drives during this time too. Used to always stay on presets with the thumb wheel. Very bizarre.
      12-08-2011, 12:33 AM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBimmer View Post
All normal user settings stay in place - it's only the thumb wheel. No matter how I leave the car when I turn it off the function of the thumb wheel defaults to an entire list rather than radio presets. Have driven car on multiple long drives during this time too. Used to always stay on presets with the thumb wheel. Very bizarre.
That does sound odd. So even on iDrive the radio menu has presets selected but the wheel is listing everything?

Well if you fancy a free software update then make a big deal out of it and tell the dealer you need it fixed. They won't have a clue what to do and will just blindly update the software for you if you're lucky

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #7
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Just checked mine, thumb wheel shows full listing, even though I have presets set.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #8
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Mine just started doing this after service. Anyone find a solution?

It's not just SAT. If I leave it on an FM station from he preset list (that was selected using from the presets lst using the thumb whel), when imstartbthe car up again it's on the right station, but the thumb wheel lists all FM (same for SAT). If I hit he "radio" button, th thumb wheel list immediately flips to the preset list.

Last edited by Nahoa; 02-11-2012 at 11:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

The problem just went away and it's behaving normally again. I can't for the life of me figure out anything I did that seems to have caused it.
      12-11-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
marleysf
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I don't suppose you ever came to a conclusion about this problem? I just had my X3 serviced and the same thing has happened to me. Very annoying. Hard to believe a computer can be as unpredictable as the iDrive is.
Appreciate 0