BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-06-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Excessive idling

I went out for lunch the other day and when I came back there was a lot of noise near where I parked my car. I shut off the car, locked it and went inside. 5 hours later I came back out to 20 degree weather and realized I hadn't actually shut off the car. I must have stepped on the brake and pushed the start button after I single pushed the button with my foot off the brake which obviously re-started the car. Man...that was the only time that ever happened. I still can't believe I did that. So it had been idling for 5 hours! Aside from a huge carbon footprint and a tank of low mpg's, are there any negative consequences from that? The upside was that I got into a warm car as my heater had been running.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:43 AM   #2
barcelona
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X

Good that your car didn't move. I sometimes shut engine off when stop in drive whilst forgetting to put in park. Only danger is when leaving engine running in the car park with attached residence. Always double check. If I Remember I try to check the rpm drop to zero on instrument display.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

happened to my dad's X3 once, he walked away from the car but realized it wouldn't chirp the alarm on lock. Now he semi conciously has to touch the hood when wlaking away to ensure he can feel the engine has stopped. The 6 cylinders are incredibly quiet (he has the N52).

This is unlike the N20 with the start/stop where the engine would cease running if the transmission is in park and you open the driver's door. (or if it's in Stop mode I think it would prevent restart)

I don't see any huge issues with this excessive idling, but perhaps you could wind up the engine later to blast out the carbon buildup. It'll be fun too
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:06 AM   #4
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
happened to my dad's X3 once, he walked away from the car but realized it wouldn't chirp the alarm on lock. Now he semi conciously has to touch the hood when wlaking away to ensure he can feel the engine has stopped. The 6 cylinders are incredibly quiet (he has the N52).

This is unlike the N20 with the start/stop where the engine would cease running if the transmission is in park and you open the driver's door. (or if it's in Stop mode I think it would prevent restart)

I don't see any huge issues with this excessive idling, but perhaps you could wind up the engine later to blast out the carbon buildup. It'll be fun too
Same thing for me...I didn't hear the chirp and thought it was a little strange but it was super windy out and cold too so I was headed in to work. Sometimes when you have a lot of things on your mind you forget the routine things. I have the N55 (6 cyl, turbo). Now, at least for the first few days, when I lock and leave the car I put my ear to the engine area.

Last edited by cadman50; 01-07-2015 at 10:08 AM.. Reason: change color of highlight
Appreciate 0