BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-13-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
jpdaigle
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

2014 X3 doesn't support iPhone 5s with 6NH USB Audio, and software upgrades?

Hiya,
I've heard conflicting information from two BMW salespeople around whether or not an iPhone 5/5s would work over USB audio in a 2014 28i with '6NH' (the basic model, no optional tech package or navigation).

Before buying, the salesman said he thought it would work fine. (Of course they'd say that, wouldn't they.)

Now that I took delivery of the car, and I see that my iPhone 5s isn't recognized for playing audio when plugged into the USB port (though it charges), I pinged them again and another salesman said he didn't think newer iPhones would work, only the old 30-pin ones (with a Y-cable). Neither of them seems particularly confident or knowledgeable though, and I've seen both positive and negative outcomes reported by searching this forum, though that might be due to different option package levels.

Thinking it might be an issue with software versions, I went to the BMW software update page (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/con...re_update.html ) and put in my VIN, and got a PDF with a copyright date of 2012 (does that mean anything?), which references the following software versions:

Quote:
UPD01006.bin
From those listed below, the version that is
appropriate for your vehicle is installed:
> MX-3.5.4, TX-3.5.6
> TX-2.6.6
> MX-1.12.0
What worries me is that the versioning number scheme in the car is different (3-digit number groups vs "3.5.4" online), as shown in the attached photo of the dash: MX-003.004.031

Any ideas if it's safe to do a software update? Or is the downloadable update older than my 1-week-old car anyways?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Try it. You have the option to revert back if you don't like the results.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
jpdaigle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02420X3 View Post
Try it. You have the option to revert back if you don't like the results.
Hmm, thanks. Is there anything to do before the upgrade to backup the current software version, to be able to revert afterward, if things go wrong?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Nope. Check your manual. It will explain it better than I can.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #5
CESIUM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '18 X30i Msport, Carbon/Oyster

Perhaps grabbing a y cable from eBay ($20) then use a 30 pin to lightning adapter would work.

I had to do this in my 328 works fine
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #6
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

As I understand it: 6NH => no combox => no USB audio unless you use a Y cable (and an adapter to adjust to 30pin). The version of iPhone isn't really relevant apart from the need to use an adapter. Some old iPods don't support USB audio and also only work with a Y cable

Combox is part of 6NL/6NF/6NK/6NR, i.e. you would need one of these options installed. 6NF would also allow USB audio in a multimedia iPhone 5 cradle

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
jpdaigle
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
As I understand it: 6NH => no combox => no USB audio unless you use a Y cable (and an adapter to adjust to 30pin). The version of iPhone isn't really relevant apart from the need to use an adapter. Some old iPods don't support USB audio and also only work with a Y cable

Combox is part of 6NL/6NF/6NK/6NR, i.e. you would need one of these options installed. 6NF would also allow USB audio in a multimedia iPhone 5 cradle
sfax, thanks, you explained this much better than the dealer back when I ordered the car. The salesman was under the impression it would work fine with 6NH. I'd say their training could be better...

I tried with a Y-Cable adapter + a lightning to 30-pin adapter, with no luck. I eventually just gave up on getting an iPhone to work and went back to USB thumb drives.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdaigle View Post
I'd say their training could be better...

The manuals and online configurator don't help either as they list options and then have no description, just a picture. I would have got 6NF if I'd known what it was at the time, or if the dealer had been more helpful.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
richardew
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 x335i

Have you tried the configure phone option? If you go to telephone=>Bluetooth, select your phone then press options. Select "configure phone". You have to check Bluetooth audio for it to work.

'96 911 C4 Cab (276,000 1 owner smiles)
'11 X3 35i Black Sapphire/Beige,SAP, CP, CWP, DHP, PREM, TECH, Sat radio, Hi Fi, BMW apps, smartphone, 19" w/mixed performance tires.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
MrFargo13
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i M-Sport/2011 328i

Never trust the salesman. They know less about these cars than most of the people on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
fl_cyclist
At the Beach or On the Road
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFargo13 View Post
Never trust the salesman. They know less about these cars than most of the people on this forum.
Let's be fair the saleman is responsible for selling over 31 BMW models and the forum is people who own and use one model every day. There is no way a salesman is going to know this level of detail considering the number of models and option configurations. If you want to lay fault place it on BMW USA for not giving them an easy tool to put questions in and get up to date answers.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_cyclist View Post
Let's be fair the saleman is responsible for selling over 31 BMW models and the forum is people who own and use one model every day. There is no way a salesman is going to know this level of detail considering the number of models and option configurations. If you want to lay fault place it on BMW USA for not giving them an easy tool to put questions in and get up to date answers.
But the tech options like this are identical across most, if not all, of the range. They don't have a different USB audio option for each model.

I've experienced some of the rubbish salesmen come out with and they often don't know the basics with respect to the tech options. If I was selling them, I'd make sure I knew what I was talking about.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #13
fl_cyclist
At the Beach or On the Road
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Garage List
2012 z4 35is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
But the tech options like this are identical across most, if not all, of the range. They don't have a different USB audio option for each model.

I've experienced some of the rubbish salesmen come out with and they often don't know the basics with respect to the tech options. If I was selling them, I'd make sure I knew what I was talking about.
I have had good luck with the BMW sales people I have worked with. Even if the option is identical you have different versions of iDrive or no iDrive, what version of iPhone what version of iOS.

In any event my main opinion is you don't buy a German car for the audio or electronics. I have never found BMW, Audi or any of the German brands very good at it. They spend all of the effort on bells and whistles and zero effort on usability. The BMW Nav is awful
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl_cyclist View Post
I have had good luck with the BMW sales people I have worked with. Even if the option is identical you have different versions of iDrive or no iDrive, what version of iPhone what version of iOS.

In any event my main opinion is you don't buy a German car for the audio or electronics. I have never found BMW, Audi or any of the German brands very good at it. They spend all of the effort on bells and whistles and zero effort on usability. The BMW Nav is awful
There's a lot of people that don't have that luck given the number of posts on here where people complain about their lack of knowledge.

I agree on the usability though. I cannot fathom why they design user interfaces like they do. Even the music player is terrible. Looks like it was designed by someone that's never actually used an mp3 player before. You have to select an album or track, and then you have to scroll down and select "Start Playback" - why? What else would you have chosen an album or track for?

Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 04:56 AM   #15
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM
Perhaps grabbing a y cable from eBay ($20) then use a 30 pin to lightning adapter would work.

This is what I did in my 2013 x3 with basic audio and no nav.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #16
cwaturner
14 X3 xDrive 28i; 16 RX350 F-Sport AWD
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 X3 28i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESIUM

I did the same thing, I have an iPhone 5 with the Y cable and a lightning adaptor. The audio quality is crap, an there is a huge difference in volume levels between the radio and the iPhone volume. I had an iPhone 4 prior and had the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #17
idfisher
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d SE Auto, Vis, Pro Nav

Major audio issues

I have had the same issue. In my 3 series coupe I had an iPhone 5 with official BMW Y lead and apple adaptor. worked fine. in my new x3 for the last 7 months it has been in 8 times to get severe audio distortion looked at. When i plug in the usb it is recognised but after 5-60 mins of driving you get horrid distortion. took a video of it at
. excuse the music .

anyone else getting this issue. bmw cannot replicate despite me showing it to them live. they say its my phone but happens on iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, samsung and nokia lumia handsets through usb.

am convinced like others that as the volume is so low when you connect that cranking it up is overpowering the head unit and causing some electrical interference.

would be good to know if anyone has had similar. lost my rag with BM and garage has been great and replaced car. hoping new one doesn't do the same.

cheers,
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #18
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by idfisher View Post
I have had the same issue. In my 3 series coupe I had an iPhone 5 with official BMW Y lead and apple adaptor. worked fine. in my new x3 for the last 7 months it has been in 8 times to get severe audio distortion looked at. When i plug in the usb it is recognised but after 5-60 mins of driving you get horrid distortion. took a video of it at
. excuse the music .

anyone else getting this issue. bmw cannot replicate despite me showing it to them live. they say its my phone but happens on iPhone 5s, iPhone 5, samsung and nokia lumia handsets through usb.

am convinced like others that as the volume is so low when you connect that cranking it up is overpowering the head unit and causing some electrical interference.

would be good to know if anyone has had similar. lost my rag with BM and garage has been great and replaced car. hoping new one doesn't do the same.

cheers,
Have you tried replacing the USB cable - if not, that's the place to start.

For my iPhone 5s I use a 30pin-to-Lightning adapter and an older white Apple USB cable connected to the armrest storage USB jack. No need to use a Y cable - audio passes via USB and it works quite well.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 04:23 AM   #19
idfisher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post

For my iPhone 5s I use a 30pin-to-Lightning adapter and an older white Apple USB cable connected to the armrest storage USB jack. No need to use a Y cable - audio passes via USB and it works quite well.
have tried multiple cables. haven't heard of the other trick. will try that.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #20
idfisher
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post

tried the 30pin USB lead with a lightning adapter. no go. get the error to use a lead recommended by BMW - despite the lead being an official apple 30pin and official connector.

just have to wait until april when my new x3 arrives with bluetooth audio. 2 grand to fix a problem BMW says doesn't exist!!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2014, 04:14 PM   #21
SuzanneCR
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 M Sport 2013 (Oct)

Hi, I've had a similar problem! 4 weeks ago I bought a 2013 (October) X3 M Sport. I decided to buy a new iPod to play in the new car. I thought I'd be able to connect up the cable which charges my iPod / iPad (USB one end, charger the other end) but this didn't work. So, I went to my BMW dealer who told me I needed a y cable (£57.00 - hello)?!? So, I bought the y cable, connected everything up when I got home and all the music from my iPod is distorted! I've adjusted the sound on the iPod (both in general settings and in 'music') as well as adjusting all sorts of levels in the car - including the aux volume. Nothing else I play in the car is distorted - e.g. CD's, the radio all sound crystal clear. Even if I play the iPod with the volume turned down low, you can still hear the distortion. All my music is downloaded via iTunes at high quality and plays on the iPod through headphones clear as anything. I can't even try loading my music onto a USB stick / flash as I have the BMW Business navigation and communication system so it doesn't support storage of music files. It seems most of you have the Professional system which makes this possible. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2014, 12:39 AM   #22
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneCR View Post
Hi, I've had a similar problem! 4 weeks ago I bought a 2013 (October) X3 M Sport. I decided to buy a new iPod to play in the new car. I thought I'd be able to connect up the cable which charges my iPod / iPad (USB one end, charger the other end) but this didn't work. So, I went to my BMW dealer who told me I needed a y cable (£57.00 - hello)?!? So, I bought the y cable, connected everything up when I got home and all the music from my iPod is distorted! I've adjusted the sound on the iPod (both in general settings and in 'music') as well as adjusting all sorts of levels in the car - including the aux volume. Nothing else I play in the car is distorted - e.g. CD's, the radio all sound crystal clear. Even if I play the iPod with the volume turned down low, you can still hear the distortion. All my music is downloaded via iTunes at high quality and plays on the iPod through headphones clear as anything. I can't even try loading my music onto a USB stick / flash as I have the BMW Business navigation and communication system so it doesn't support storage of music files. It seems most of you have the Professional system which makes this possible. Anyone have any thoughts or ideas?
Did you pay for business nav or is it now included for free? Do you know if you have option 6NL? 6NL used to be part of business nav package

Anyway 6NL would mean definitely no requirement for Y cable so I'm assuming they've changed the options and provided basic nav without 6NL. If that's the case, can you even see the iPod as an external device when it's plugged into the USB in the centre armrest? Can you see any USB devices?

You don't need to upload music to the car's HDD, you can play it directly from a USB flash drive so try this as well (look under External Devices on idrive). Could be that you just don't have USB audio and therefore it's Y cable only (which should work, and they should fix under warranty)

Appreciate 0