BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #1
LFC
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

Loss of steering on X3

I have an 2011 X3 28i with the Dynamic Handling Package. In the last week the steering has completely failed 2 times upon starting the car and driving. There was a warning light with a steering wheel! on both the nav screen and dash which said to drive moderately to the nearest BMW center. The steering acted if it was completely locked and it was not possible to drive or turn. I had to completely turn off the car 4 times and wait a bit each time before the warning light finally turned off and the steering returned back to normal.

I just dropped off the car yesterday at BMW, anyone else have this problem.

I thought maybe my car was probably one of the cars listed in the recall since it was built Mid May 2011, but BMW said there were no recalls for the car.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/05/2...ering-failure/

Scary issue, if it happens when driving/turning, you're completely screwed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Try this thread http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=605930
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
JackieChan
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i, 2011 BMW X3

Loss of Steering

LFC,

The timing of your post couldn't be better. My 2011 BMW X3 35i with a June 2011 build date is in the dealership as we speak for this very same issue. it happened to my wife 2 weeks ago. (i.e. loss of power steering). After turnning on and off the X3 a couple of times, the system reset itself. When I brought it to the dealership last week, they said that BMWNA did not have a recall or fix on this issue. So all they did was clear the error code and said if it happens again, bring it in.....

After making a complaint to my SA and the Service Manager here at my local BMW dealership, they are installing the electronic steering module and steering rack. Plus there is about a 4 hour software upgrade on top of that.

If I were you, I would Google the 4-5 articles on this issue and take it up with the Service Manager. You don't want to take a chance and have it happen again. This should not happen to a $65K vehicle that is only 6 months new.

They gave me a loaner for 2 days and having the new parts installed as we speak.

Do not let them reset the error code and send you away without addressing or fixing the problem. I think there will be more X3's affected with this issue than the 50 reported in the article.

Good luck!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

There are way too many people reporting this issue. In fact there are way too many people reporting each and every one of way too many issues on the X3...

..and don't give me the sample size / audience type thing. I have participated in 3 other equally active forums over the years (Z4, 1er and most recently Audi Q5) and never seen so many different issues with so many people reporting each one in any of them.

Really makes me worry about BMW's quality control on the X3 (on procurement of the parts, not on assembly, I for one don't blame the SC factory one bit)
      01-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #5
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I can't help feeling the F25 has been "value engineered" and lightened a little too much. Sure it makes it go well, handle well and give good economy....but it's feels more flimsy than any of my previous 8 BMWs.
      01-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #6
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Yep. Had the problem. They ended up replacing the whole steering rack and the software upgrade on top of that. Took over 2 weeks but most of that was their significant delay in reaching the decision to replace the steering components. Just a couple of days once they ordered the parts. Problem hasn't come back since and that was before Thanksgiving.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnw View Post
There are way too many people reporting this issue. In fact there are way too many people reporting each and every one of way too many issues on the X3...

..and don't give me the sample size / audience type thing. I have participated in 3 other equally active forums over the years (Z4, 1er and most recently Audi Q5) and never seen so many different issues with so many people reporting each one in any of them.

Really makes me worry about BMW's quality control on the X3 (on procurement of the parts, not on assembly, I for one don't blame the SC factory one bit)
There are 6 that I've counted on this forum. Not enough for me to be concerned personally and I've had mine for a year with no problems.

The sample size / audience ratio may not be very scientific but IMO it is much more rational that a gut feeling based on what you see on other forums for different car manufacturers.

I think some aspects of QC are lacking but they are more to do with paintwork leaving factory with blemishes etc. A component that fails randomly after x weeks/months is not an easy thing to forsee or test for in advance

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Not enough for me to be concerned personally and I've had mine for a year with no problems.
I'm really pleased that your first BMW experience has been a good one. However there are those of us on the forum that have owned multiple new BMWs over the years and can objectively compare the build quality feel prior to any hypothetical failure. I noticed it straight away on the test drives (awful parcel shelf cover and lower door plastics) but overall the whole package still ticked the right box.

Quote:
The sample size / audience ratio may not be very scientific but IMO it is much more rational that a gut feeling based on what you see on other forums for different car manufacturers.
I'd argue the contrary. You're making an assumption about the sample size compared to the population being weighted towards the negative. That assumption may be right or wrong (if anything I would assume the opposite- the forum is more weighted towards long term enthusiasts that are more likely to be product champions than first time posters with issues to vent about). I'm comparing four similar samples of four similar products. Subjective but not "gut feel".

Don't get me wrong, I'll likely love the car whatever problems it may or may not have but I perceive, wrongly or rightly, that, as clivem put it, there has been a lot of "value engineering" in the new X3.
      01-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #9
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm really pleased that your first BMW experience has been a good one. However there are those of us on the forum that have owned multiple new BMWs over the years and can objectively compare the build quality feel prior to any hypothetical failure. I noticed it straight away on the test drives (awful parcel shelf cover and lower door plastics) but overall the whole package still ticked the right box.

I'd argue the contrary. You're making an assumption about the sample size compared to the population being weighted towards the negative. That assumption may be right or wrong (if anything I would assume the opposite- the forum is more weighted towards long term enthusiasts that are more likely to be product champions than first time posters with issues to vent about). I'm comparing four similar samples of four similar products. Subjective but not "gut feel".

Don't get me wrong, I'll likely love the car whatever problems it may or may not have but I perceive, wrongly or rightly, that, as clivem put it, there has been a lot of "value engineering" in the new X3.
We'll agree to disagree on the forums. More people than ever contribute now and most of them either report problems or ask about options. It has become more and more common to post on a forum (or refer to one) as a first port of call when something goes wrong. You can now do it more easily than ever with mobile devices. Even comparing this forum now to what it was 2-3 years will yield a huge increase in activity. The other unknowns are a ratio of total number of forum users against total sales. If you had all of this you could perhaps make a comparison between number of issues posted on one forum against another but it's not easy and I still think 6 reports doesn't constituent anything to be overly concerned about against the 1000s of F25s that are being driven around already

Re. quality of materials, yes the door bins could be a nicer material, but you know all this before you order so I don't understand people that whinge about them after they've ordered. If you want improved quality door bins you have to get a 5 series on an X5. The list price of the base 20d X3 is only £31k. I think a lot of people expect more quality because they put a load of options and a bigger engine in it but it doesn't make the whole car better quality, just more expensive

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:28 AM   #10
RichardBR
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 30D Msport DSB

Quote:
Re. quality of materials, yes the door bins could be a nicer material, but you know all this before you order so I don't understand people that whinge about them after they've ordered. If you want improved quality door bins you have to get a 5 series on an X5. The list price of the base 20d X3 is only £31k. I think a lot of people expect more quality because they put a load of options and a bigger engine in it but it doesn't make the whole car better quality, just more expensive
On the spot... Touchè!!

You don't see the doorbins when you drive either, and you always mark them with your shoes when leaving the car
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I’m one of those that have been driving BMW’s for quite some time (about 15 years) and have owned a 325 and this is my 3rd X3. The build quality of this new X3 (2011 F-25) is by far the best of the bunch and the most trouble free car I’ve owned.

Will there be no problems throughout the life of my car? I doubt it.
Do some of the cars have problems…certainly. That’s what warranties are for.
Do more people log onto forums to discuss problems than to start threads that talk about not having problems? Youbetcha.
Is learning about problems others have had valuable? I think so, otherwise I wouldn’t monitor the forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #12
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:

I do see 2011 BMW X3 has more complaints filed against it...I don't know if this is a reliable site.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2011/bmw/x3/
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakumarbalu View Post
I do see 2011 BMW X3 has more complaints filed against it...I don't know if this is a reliable site.

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2011/bmw/x3/
Probably reliable but it's just a list of individual complaints posted by owners isn't it?

Look at 2010 TOYOTA RAV4....

http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2010/toyota/rav4/

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:20 PM   #14
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

I've owned BMWs for 8 yrs now and been an enthusiast for longer still. Subjectively I would argue that there does seem to be more issues reported on forums for the new X3 compared to other models launched in the last 5 years.

My greatest worry is the steering failiure as could be potentially lethal. Hopefully BMW will address the issues at source and they'll get replaced through the dealer network as part of servicing or recalls. And on subsequent later build cars will not be present.

It's is always a gamble buying start-of-run models rather than the when the model is being run out (end-of-run) and all the bugs have been ironed out.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

I wonder why loss of power steering is lethal issue?

My first car Volkswagen Passat 1983, did not have power steering at all. Yes, it was darn heavy to turn the steering wheel when stationary. But while driving normal driving speeds the steering was ok.

If I drive 65mph and power steer fails, I just need more power to turn the wheel, it is not the same as loosing steering completely.

Or am I missing a point here?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:

I saw people complaining about Q5 issues in Audi's forum.....
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth12468 View Post
I saw people complaining about Q5 issues in Audi's forum.....
Indeed. Me included. I never said there weren't any
      01-18-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
LFC
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i

I could barely move the wheel 1 degree inside my parking garage as I was driving forward and I bench more than 200lbs. It seemed more than the loss of power steering, it felt like the steering column was locked when the warning came up. I've lost power steering on my 2002 M3 before and i could still turn the wheel with some effort, but it wasn't the case with this X3 issue.
I'm not sure if it's related to the variable steering, which changes the ratio and steering effort between settings. Reading the press release about the recall of only 50 X3 units built in a span of 45 days seems to indicate it was probably only in cars with Variable steering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodion View Post

My first car Volkswagen Passat 1983, did not have power steering at all. Yes, it was darn heavy to turn the steering wheel when stationary. But while driving normal driving speeds the steering was ok.

If I drive 65mph and power steer fails, I just need more power to turn the wheel, it is not the same as loosing steering completely.

Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #19
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Quote:

"The steering acted if it was completely locked and it was not possible to drive or turn. "
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 01:46 PM   #20
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It has become more and more common to post on a forum (or refer to one) as a first port of call when something goes wrong. You can now do it more easily than ever with mobile devices. Even comparing this forum now to what it was 2-3 years will yield a huge increase in activity.
True but irrelevant to my argument as I still participate in 2 of the aforementioned forums to this day and my comparisons were based on up to date experience.

Quote:
The other unknowns are a ratio of total number of forum users against total sales. If you had all of this you could perhaps make a comparison between number of issues posted on one forum against another but it's not easy and I still think 6 reports doesn't constituent anything to be overly concerned about against the 1000s of F25s that are being driven around already
Lets agree to disagree on the relative value of our different analytical models, each of which has its flaws. We won't get anywhere otherwise

Quote:
Re. quality of materials, yes the door bins could be a nicer material, but you know all this before you order so I don't understand people that whinge about them after they've ordered. If you want improved quality door bins you have to get a 5 series on an X5.
I'm not signing anything when I order that restricts me from passing comment on substandard parts of the car. I wouldn't call that "whinging", I'd call that customer feedback that leads to LCI improvements.

If I wanted an X5, I'd buy one- but I dont want an end-of-life model.

Quote:
The list price of the base 20d X3 is only £31k. I think a lot of people expect more quality because they put a load of options and a bigger engine in it but it doesn't make the whole car better quality, just more expensive
I have no idea why you brought this up as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere in this thread. Ironically I have used this same argument elsewhere to people complaining about "50k cars" that are actually over-speced 30k cars.

My own comparisons are drawn purely from previous (BMW) and current (Audi) experience of a similar price bracket of car- and that experience tells me that certain cost-cut parts have no place in the X3 and that the frequency of reports of certain issues is concerning.

Its also true that build is light years ahead of the E83 - but that wasn't ever going to be a hard challenge to overcome
      01-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
jt2
Annoyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:

The X3 has electric power steering, which means no direct coupling.

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/05/2...ering-failure/
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #22
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

wow another X3 issue...