BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-23-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
mexxdude
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

A Few Questions from Soon-to-be X3 Owner

Hey guys,

I just ordered a 2011 X3 35i yesterday (). Kudos to you and this forum, I was able to find out the the target price range I should negotiated toward and the $1000 Team USA Promo. At the end, I got $500 under the invoice price, including the Team USA Promo. I checked Edmunds and it's about $2000 under TMV. I thought it was a good deal. The SA told me to expect delivery in 3-5 weeks.

In anticipation of the arrival of my new X3, I have a couple questions:

1. I understand that in order to preserve and protect the paint, I should have the car detailed (clay bar, sealent, and wax?) soon after taking delivery. Since I am very inexperienced with detailing, I think I should get it done professionally. Anyone knows a good detailer in Fairfax/DC area? Or do you know any online resources where I can find a good detailer?

2. Is it a good idea to get mud guard? If so, should I ask the dealer to install them prior taking delivery? Or can it be done by a 3rd party auto shop?

Thanks in advance for your reply!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i, M2C, Ferrari 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by mexxdude View Post
1. I understand that in order to preserve and protect the paint, I should have the car detailed (clay bar, sealent, and wax?) soon after taking delivery. Since I am very inexperienced with detailing, I think I should get it done professionally. Anyone knows a good detailer in Fairfax/DC area? Or do you know any online resources where I can find a good detailer?
Waxing is more about appearance and does help the car clean up easier (i.e., junk is less likely to stick if the finish is waxed and you plan to wash it off regularly). But don't be under any illusions about truly "protecting" the paint with any products. Under typical daily use, the best way to protect the paint is to immediately wipe off any bugs, bird droppings, etc, ASAP, every day. If left on, bird droppings will etch the clear coat (or worse), and it doesn't matter what wax or protectant is on the car.

Also note that you need to be careful about how you wash the car if you are serious about wax. Certain soaps (i.e., Dawn) will strip the wax off and you're back to ground zero. So choose the wax/sealant and your wash soap carefully.

In Virginia, I tend to wax once every 6 months, with daily or weekly touchups using quick detailer spray on a rag, as needed to get off bugs, bird droppings, etc.

The dealer will probably try to sell you a protection package at delivery, but it's one of those cash cows they love to milk, and is a waste of your money. Steer clear of it.

Some purists will tell you to not wax the car for 90 days after production, to give the finish time to fully cure, but I am not sure I buy that. I'd expect it's fully cured as soon as it leaves the baking area of the paint shop. Would be worth getting other opinions though.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
mexxdude
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier219 View Post
The dealer will probably try to sell you a protection package at delivery, but it's one of those cash cows they love to milk, and is a waste of your money. Steer clear of it.
Thanks skier. The dealer did try to sell me a package for $499, which include exterior and interior "protection" (the SA couldn't elaborate how the protection works) with a 10-year warranty. I was tempted at first because of the oyster interior I ordered. But after searching the forum, I found out that the consensus is getting it done either by oneself or a 3rd party shop.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

I think the protection's a good deal as it covers damage to the leather and the stitching -- due to the potential for, and unknown impact of, dog barf in my car the decision wasn't one I weighed a whole lot. Also insured against tree sap damage and such. I'm sure they make a load on this 'cause few people ever claim. Seemed like it'd pay off if I needed it, though.

Others here feel strongly about clay bar on the new car. I didn't and have been very happy with the results so far. Sealed it. Zaino. Very slick. Gunk comes off easily. Water gathers in large beads and rolls off just like older car I'd clay-barred and then sealed.
      07-24-2011, 04:16 PM   #5
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Be sure to read the fine print on the protection packages -- they are not all they are cracked up to be. The ones I was offered (and declined) on my Z4 required periodic re-application of the protectant to keep up the damage warranty. Just didn't make sense to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Did they handle the cleaning and the re-application included in the initial price? That sounds like a "detail and seal my car for life" deal to me! Mine didn't say anything about reapplication. Read much more like a "we figure you'll forget about us and never come back just like the last 10,000 customers" kind of a deal.
      07-24-2011, 06:26 PM   #7
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Nope, I would've had to pay for reapplications! It reminded me of the warranty on our home carpet -- you have to get it steam cleaned periodically (and document receipts) to keep the full stain warranty, which is a little nuts.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:36 PM   #8
mexxdude
Private
Rep

The SA mentioned that the package comes with material that I can use for re-application and maintenance purpose. However, re-application is not required to be eligible under the warranty. So do you think I should just get the dealer's package instead of getting a 3rd party shop to do it?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

skier219, doesn't sound like a good deal at all that way.

mexxdude, I wouldn't recommend it as a sealant/wax replacement. Was joking with skier219 above. For me, the stuff they sold seemed kind of like insurance because of what it covered and how. I didn't consider it to be a replacement for me sealing the car (might have if they routinely detailed and applied!). Separately, you can do this stuff yourself. There's a modest amount of equipment (pails, cloths, wash, sealant, etc.) and some elbow grease involved. Particularly a lot of these newer non-wax products go on easily and come off easily w/o leaving residue. If you can get enough cloths and firmly plant in your head that you need to keep them clean, watch where you set them, etc. it's not hard. It is work. If you'd rather spend your time at the gym, on a run, or whatever, I totally get paying someone to do it. Don't pay them 'cause you think you can't do it, though. Search the posts here. Folks better at it than I have given step-by-step from gear to product to technique.
      07-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #10
mexxdude
Private
Rep

Got it. I will do some digging on the site to figure out how to do it myself. Thanks for the help!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2011, 09:22 PM   #11
skier219
Captain
United_States
Rep

Really, I think the best thing you can do is keep a microfiber towel and spray bottle of quick detailer handy, and wipe any bugs or bird droppings off the car daily or weekly (as soon as you notice). I keep that stuff in my garage and will hit the car after I get home from work if needed (takes 1-2 minutes, if that). I know many folks who carry that stuff in the car, and hit it whenever they need to.

So whether you wax, or pay someone to do it, or even get the dealer package, definitely keep up with day to day quick detailer as needed.

I should note that I had to do this frequently on past cars, but my Z4 is white and I have yet to wipe bird crap off it. The car seems to be invisible to birds, or maybe they are afraid to crap over something white. Whatever the case, I have only needed to touchup the front for bugs about once a week.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2011, 05:13 AM   #12
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

+1 on the detailing spray

Re birds, no wonder they migrate south. Could be a long, long winter not being able to crap on white! Nice bonus there, wish they'd give mine a pass!
      07-25-2011, 06:19 AM   #13
mexxdude
Private
Rep

I have a AW 328i (as the new X3) and the birds (and insects) seem to love it....lol.
Appreciate 0