BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #45
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

If in sport mode there's no lag then it's not turbo lag. I'm sure my diesel 30D has the same issue....lag in normal, no lag in sport.
      04-26-2012, 11:18 AM   #46
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Not it's not.

There should be a direct LINEAR relationship between the distance the accelerator pedal is pressed and the forward motion of the car. If there is lag, there is a fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
snip... lag in normal...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:41 PM   #47
SMTM
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster 2011 X3 28i

I just had my 2011 X3 28i flashed with the newest software. The new flash ABSOLUTELY improved the throttle response. I would strongly encourage anyone to go into the service department to get that done.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:55 PM   #48
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

I wonder if the late-great Lotus7 will get his car repaired? He once stated we BMW newbies had to learn how to press the accelerator 'better'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMTM View Post
I just had my 2011 X3 28i flashed with the newest software. The new flash ABSOLUTELY improved the throttle response. I would strongly encourage anyone to go into the service department to get that done.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:04 PM   #49
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Is this update worth installing if my X3 doesn't exhibit the lag/lurching behavior? Any other improvements?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:15 PM   #50
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
I wonder if the late-great Lotus7 will get his car repaired? He once stated we BMW newbies had to learn how to press the accelerator 'better'.
Got to thinking about this the other night after somebody posted questioning driving skills. Over 42 years of driving all types of vehicles. VW's to Porsches, street racers, imports, domestics, off road, and even a White Freighter Diesel with tandem trailers. Probably have rebuilt over ten engines, plus other major repairs. Never have walked away from driving anything. The X3 is the first car I've had with a "lag" or shall we say lack of smooth responsive throttle control.

Last edited by Radioactive; 04-26-2012 at 02:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #51
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Got to thinking about this the other night after somebody posted questioning driving skills. Over 42 years of driving all types of vehicles. VW's to Porsches, street racers, imports, domestics, off road, and even a White Freighter Diesel with tandem trailers. Probably have rebuilt over ten engines, plus other major repairs. Never have walked away from driving anything. The X3 is the first car I've had with a "lag" or shall we say lack of smooth responsive throttle control.
Ditto. Minus the Porsches, off road, and Freightliner. My car is at the dealer getting reprogrammed (it's taken more than a day...what are they using to reprogram the car? A 2400 baud modem? Commodore 64 cassette drive? punch cards?) so we'll see if it makes a difference. I wonder why it has taken so long for them to come out with this update since we're now at the front end of its 3rd model year. Maybe they've hit some sort of cumulative weighted complaint threshold--weighted in favor of automotive shows and publications of course--that justified the update? Perhaps the Motor Trend long term review was loud enough to finally reach their ears...
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #52
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
Is this update worth installing if my X3 doesn't exhibit the lag/lurching behavior? Any other improvements?
I noticed improvements during downshifts while braking slowly...it's bit smoother now.

Anyways if your s/w version is latest, I don't see any points in updating.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #53
n55x3
Captain
Rep
Drives: n55 BMWs

Wife came home after a day of driving with the new SW patch and she was very happy. Said it was like a totally different SUV. She did say it was 95% fixed and that once she felt the lag, but honestly the occasional lag that occurs in unique situations really isn't that bothersome. All auto slush boxes can get confused at some point, even the most sorted out ones.

On a side note, the fluctuating idle at start up also seems to be fixed. The X3 now starts and maintains a static high idle which is expected. Before the RPMs on frequent occasion would bounce up and down +/- ~400 RPMs. Would be embarrasing when starting the X3 in a crowd, people would look over and think we were reving the engine on purpose.

Lastly, I did find a new menu option under the Setting menu I think it was. It said Sport mode and pulled up graphics of chassis or engine. Doesn't really apply to us since hers doesn't have adaptive suspension but it is a cool new graphic.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #54
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

for you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by n55x3 View Post
Wife came home after a day of driving with the new SW patch and she was very happy. Said it was like a totally different SUV. She did say it was 95% fixed and that once she felt the lag, but honestly the occasional lag that occurs in unique situations really isn't that bothersome. All auto slush boxes can get confused at some point, even the most sorted out ones.

On a side note, the fluctuating idle at start up also seems to be fixed. The X3 now starts and maintains a static high idle which is expected. Before the RPMs on frequent occasion would bounce up and down +/- ~400 RPMs. Would be embarrasing when starting the X3 in a crowd, people would look over and think we were reving the engine on purpose.

Lastly, I did find a new menu option under the Setting menu I think it was. It said Sport mode and pulled up graphics of chassis or engine. Doesn't really apply to us since hers doesn't have adaptive suspension but it is a cool new graphic.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:09 AM   #55
bcaz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 28i

It's true that a toggle to Sport mode eliminates this issue, which must have been an over-engineered attempt to goose MPG by a tiny increment. Since my 2012 is just three months old w/2,500 miles I won't be scheduled to come in until next January; I'm tempted to go in and request this software update. They are taking this genius incremental engineering thing a step too far. What if I forget to toggle into Sport mode before turning into insane, fast, agressive traffic?

BTW, one contributor referred matter-of-factly to requiring a linear response -- flawed logic. Many physical processes are non-linear, especially associated with accelerating a two-ton mass with internal combustion ... what we would prefer to see is a continuous, integrated, "smooth power curve" (think of the electricity flowing into your home or your business -- at least it should be!) rather than a crude, digital step-wise response.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 07:13 PM   #56
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcaz
It's true that a toggle to Sport mode eliminates this issue, which must have been an over-engineered attempt to goose MPG by a tiny increment. Since my 2012 is just three months old w/2,500 miles I won't be scheduled to come in until next January; I'm tempted to go in and request this software update. They are taking this genius incremental engineering thing a step too far. What if I forget to toggle into Sport mode before turning into insane, fast, agressive traffic?

BTW, one contributor referred matter-of-factly to requiring a linear response -- flawed logic. Many physical processes are non-linear, especially associated with accelerating a two-ton mass with internal combustion ... what we would prefer to see is a continuous, integrated, "smooth power curve" (think of the electricity flowing into your home or your business -- at least it should be!) rather than a crude, digital step-wise response.
If your X3 has the issue just bring it in.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #57
Botwin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 WRX Limited

I had the update done a few days ago, and notice a significant improvement.

Interestingly, I have also noticed at least a 1mpg increase. Perhaps this is because I am not making inadvertant jackrabbit starts...
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #58
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

Dropping my X3 off tomorrow for The upgrade. I will post any noticeable differences when I get it back.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #59
GBMW6612
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3M

This has struck me as being a little strange but who knows, got the car back and it appears to very smooth mostly highway driving so will give more info on stop and go driving when I get a chance. Here is the strange thing driving out to the dealership I averaged 17.8mpg on the way home tonight 20.9 I have never had that high of an average ????
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:01 AM   #60
saulgoodman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 N52T

Garage List
2015 BMW 328XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMW6612 View Post
This has struck me as being a little strange but who knows, got the car back and it appears to very smooth mostly highway driving so will give more info on stop and go driving when I get a chance. Here is the strange thing driving out to the dealership I averaged 17.8mpg on the way home tonight 20.9 I have never had that high of an average ????

You won't believe me I was averaging 26.1 mpg on I-93 with 65mph cruise-set...I never exceeded 19.7 mpg till now.

Not sure if the s/w update really improved the mpg or fixed any bug in the mpg calculator. Also I don't know if there is difference on the miles-to-empty too, with less than a 3/4 of the tank it was showing 268 miles to end
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #61
jsl1419
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i M sport

Used to get 19.5mpg with 75mph cruising set from everyday hwy commuting, now I get 21.7mpg after software patch. Very strange!
Also, they tried to fix my wind noise by replacing the defect side mirror seals with the revised parts but it didn't work completely. Dealer contact BMW rte and found out one part is missing which is not available in US??? The part is coming from Germany.
With new mirror seals, it is pretty much quieter than before.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #62
ZipSpeed
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive35i

I'm also seeing a slight improvement in fuel economy. 10.3L/100km (22.8 MPG) before with mix driving. Now I'm achieving 10.1L/100km (23.3 MPG).
Appreciate 0