BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
faztaz
08 X3 6spd
Rep
Drives: 13 X3 35i MSport

How to make a pseudo X3M?

I have a 08 Manual X3 Sport that I thoroughly enjoy but I feel its time to jump to the new body style. I was waiting patiently an X3M or manual transmission (or both I can dream can’t I) but much to my dismay it looks like neither will be available. My question is what mods, performance and cosmetic, can I make to a US spec X3 M-Sport 35i to get it as close to the X3M that we have all be waiting for. As far as I know there are no OEM BMW performance accessories for the X3 yet? What about after market dual exhaust, chip, front/rear bumpers? I would like to keep the car class but also improve on its performance and make it look even sportier. I am really not interested in the comments aimed at telling me to get a sport car, or an X5M, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by faztaz
I have a 08 Manual X3 Sport that I thoroughly enjoy but I feel its time to jump to the new body style. I was waiting patiently an X3M or manual transmission (or both I can dream canÂ’t I) but much to my dismay it looks like neither will be available. My question is what mods, performance and cosmetic, can I make to a US spec X3 M-Sport 35i to get it as close to the X3M that we have all be waiting for. As far as I know there are no OEM BMW performance accessories for the X3 yet? What about after market dual exhaust, chip, front/rear bumpers? I would like to keep the car class but also improve on its performance and make it look even sportier. I am really not interested in the comments aimed at telling me to get a sport car, or an X5M, etc.
The current X5 xDrive35i M-sport is available with a performance package that I believe bumps power. Considering the X3 xDrive35i and the X5 both use the same transmission programming, I'm sure you could find out the tuning of the X5 performance package and apply it to the X3. Otherwise, PM user "fiddy yen" about his JB4 tune, which he raves about. There's also an option from Hartge that bumps power of the 35i to 362hp and 354 lb-ft. If you search the forums, there's a photograph of a European X3 M-sport with aftermarket dual-exhaust tips and some info as to purchasing it yourself. However, this exhaust seems to only be available for the 20d and 30d, but I'm sure you could figure something out. Paint the M-sport rear valence to body color, then you can order BMW accessory wheel style 311 (20") to top off the truly individual look.

Hartge offers a whole package if you want to upgrade your car in every dynamic way.

Last edited by xDrive35i; 04-29-2012 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

There are ways to bump the power on your X3 35i to be like what an "X3M" would be like. JB, Hartge and Dinan. Handling characteristics could also be upgraded with springs, wheels and tires. Pretty much that's as far as it gets. Not to be a downer, but you'll never get "M" performance through just doing upgrades on our vehicles. The lack of aftermarket support and the lack of demand isn't exactly a compelling reason for more development on parts. Our X3's have been out for 2 model years and there still aren't black kidney grills available. However, that gives you an opportunity to really make your X3's your own.

Like Juddholland said, I have JB on my X3, I love it... it gives me that extra power that I want. I'll also be putting 20's on it shortly with H&R lowering springs. It still wont make it an M but it'll be my own. The only thing is that I might end up going to a Dinan tune as Burger Tuning isn't developing a Stage 2 due to the differences in DMV. Although BMW uses the same Powertrain across their lines from the 3 series to the X6, the DME is very different on the F chassis making it harder for tunes to be added.... Call it a smart computer for BMW.

Anyways, hope i've given you some insight. Cheers and happy modding!
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD

Last edited by fiddy yen; 04-30-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

How has your tune affected your consumption?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
How has your tune affected your consumption?
Fuel consumption is unchanged. The only thing it effects on how it makes me drive
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Did you dyno after the tune? I'm curious of what the gains would be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
There are ways to bump the power on your X3 35i to be like what an "X3M" would be like. JB, Hartge and Dinan. Handling characteristics could also be upgraded with springs, wheels and tires. Pretty much that's as far as it gets. Not to be a downer, but you'll never get "M" performance through just doing upgrades on our vehicles. The lack of aftermarket support and the lack of demand isn't exactly a compelling reason for more development on parts. Our X3's have been out for 2 model years and there still aren't black kidney grills available. However, that gives you an opportunity to really make your X3's your own.

Like Juddholland said, I have JB on my X3, I love it... it gives me that extra power that I want. I'll also be putting 20's on it shortly with H&R lowering springs. It still wont make it an M but it'll be my own. The only thing is that I might end up going to a Dinan tune as Burger Tuning isn't developing a Stage 2 due to the differences in DMV. Although BMW uses the same Powertrain across their lines from the 3 series to the X6, the DME is very different on the F chassis making it harder for tunes to be added.... Call it a smart computer for BMW.

Anyways, hope i've given you some insight. Cheers and happy modding!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Did you dyno after the tune? I'm curious of what the gains would be.
No access to an awd dyno in the area. However there are guys on the 5 series forums running similar setup gaining 30hp and 50lbft to the wheels right after install.
Appreciate 0