BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Using technology in X3

Just picked up new X3 35i yesterday. From what I can understand the best way to use iPhone 4 and be able to access playlist is through USB in center console. I have the snap in but it appears like that is mainly a phone enhancer function. It does not give me access to my playlists on the iPhone 4. Bluetooth audio seems to be ok but no way to really move through playlists.

I have not been functional with the plugin feature yet. Not sure if I need to me in the snap in or USB for that to work.

As far as BMW app. It really gives me access to FB and Twitter. Is that it?

What is the best way to access Pandora Radio?

Thank you in advance!
      09-04-2011, 04:49 PM   #2
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Is a special cable needed to connect the phone through the center console or can it be purchased anywhere? Does the cable come with the car?

I ordered the 2012 35i with technology package but I didn't buy any add-on apps or phone dock.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

I have an iPhone and I now use the white Apple iPhone cable.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #4
Dukat
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sard View Post
I have an iPhone and I now use the white Apple iPhone cable.
So the regular iPhone sync cable will charge the phone & communicate to with the computer? That's great.. and surprising. I'm used to being gouged for every addon.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

^ Yeap.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2011, 07:22 PM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
The snap-in will give you full access to your playlists. It also lets you use additional functions like Genius, etc. The available apps (to date) include: FB, Twitter, Internet radio, and Calendar. Hopefully more functionality will be coming soon as more developers get involved.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #7
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post
Just picked up new X3 35i yesterday. From what I can understand the best way to use iPhone 4 and be able to access playlist is through USB in center console. I have the snap in but it appears like that is mainly a phone enhancer function. It does not give me access to my playlists on the iPhone 4. Bluetooth audio seems to be ok but no way to really move through playlists.

I have not been functional with the plugin feature yet. Not sure if I need to me in the snap in or USB for that to work.

Thank you in advance!
You need the media snap-in adapter for iPhone 4 for enhanced functionality. Sounds like you have a basic snap-in adapter. BMW Apps will work with either the white USB or when using a media snap-in adapter. It's still very limited

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
PIEZON
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: In The Market For A New One

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIEZON View Post

Thank you in advance!
You need the media snap-in adapter for iPhone 4 for enhanced functionality. Sounds like you have a basic snap-in adapter. BMW Apps will work with either the white USB or when using a media snap-in adapter. It's still very limited
I have the iPhone 4 snap in and it does not give me playlist access.