BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-23-2012, 04:43 PM   #1
hannzon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3 3.0i

knock/ping/hesitation journey

Hey folks, I'm new here and was looking for some help/advice/direction in correcting the knock, ping, hesitation or whatever you want to call it. I had a check engine light (a while after noticing the hesitation) and brought it to the dealer and they said it was an 02 sensor code. 2 codes, one fore bank 2 sensor 2 no activity, and bank 2 sensor 2 heater circuit. Of course they wanted an arm and a leg to fix it but said we should try reprogramming the computer. Fine, did it and it did't help.

So I ordered the one o2 sensor, Bosch 15680 or 15681 can't remember which one was for the ses code, and installed it. Made no difference. I also put brand new Bosch spark plugs while I replaced the valve cover because it was leaking oil. So I ordered the other 3 o2 sensors, so all four were replaced. Bosch 15680,15680,17215,17216. Put them in and noticed only little improvement. So I then cleaned the maf with CRC maf cleaner and I also cleaned the throttle body with CRC throttle body cleaner.

Still no improvement with respect to the hesitation. I'm getting the issue throughout the powerband. I haven't changed the coil packs, the maf, the intake boot (seemed fine when I took it out), or any belts. I'm grasping at straws at this point. I'm not a mechanic so you can understand how frustrating it is to do this work on your own. Especially getting that damn clamp off of the intake boot to the throttle body. So if anyone can make a suggestion, hopefully a cheap one because I've already thrown money at time at this project with very little accomplished. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
hannzon
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2004 BMW X3 3.0i

I've changed the coilpacks recently and it has made a significant improvement in the pinging, but still not 100%. It seems like it's a combination of things which is contributing to this issue I am having. The next thing I am targeting are my fuel injectors. I put in some Lucas and will drive it around for a week to see if there is any improvement otherwise I might just do a fuel injector service at the dealer for $120.

However, I am dealing with another problem. I'm having this clunking noise between first and second gear. At 1/5 throttle the clunk happens at 10mph at about 1700 rpms with it shifting at 2000 so it can't be the transmission. I replaced the flex disc with a genuine one and genuine bolts and locking lug nuts but made no difference. The driveshaft center bearing looked fine. My pinging seems to be restricted to the 2500-4000rpm range and this clunking is only between first and second gear. When I go slower, like in traffic, it's more noticeable. When I go faster it's less noticeable. Does anyone else have any idea?
Appreciate 0